Another VHS to DVD Question...or two.

Username: Lanakenny

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new Toshiba D-R2 DVD Recorder. I want to use it to transfer most of my personally taped VHS coverages onto DVD. I cannot find anywhere in the features whether or not this Toshiba actually does that and wanted to ask if ALL DVD Recorders do, in fact, copy a DVD from a VHS VCR??

I also have two six head Toshiba VCR's so i'm assuming they should be compatible with this Toshiba DVD Recorder, right?

So, my questions summarized are:

Do all DVD Recorders copy VHS to DVD?
Will my Toshiba VCR's be compatible?
Finally, what type of DVd media should I use and which is the best?

Thanks guys from a newcomer!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 206
All recorders will copy VHS as long as the tapes are not factory copyguarded tapes. As far as DVD media I like the Prodisc DVD-R discs, 300 or 400 of them, lost track, I haven't seen a bad one yet. I get them from Rima.com for about 40 cents per disc, shipping included, when bought 100 at a time. If you live closer to the east coast than the west then Meritline or Supermediastore might be cheaper since shipping would be less.

Unregistered guest
I have a question: I want to buy a DVD recorder....best brand and can you tape one show then later go back and tape a different show (not consecutive) on the same disc?

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
If you use DVD-RW discs you can erase the previous recording and use the disc again. DVD-R discs are one time discs.

befuddled mom
Unregistered guest
The recipient of my gift of a DVD recorder to copy his hundreds of documentary tapes is totally electronically challenged. Are there DVD recorders that copy VCR tapes in a self contained unit? i.e. a machine that holds the disc and the tape.

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Yes, but combos are poor quality and they won't be able to copy any protected tapes.

Username: Milcol

Post Number: 3
Would like to copy my VHS Tapes to my DVD Recorder what is the correst hookup consist of the DVD manual states it can be done but gives no schematic or other information

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
RCA jacks from the VCR out to the recorder in, then set the recorder on whatever input the VCR is connected to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us