RCA 61" DLP Television

Username: Ffeurtado

Post Number: 5
I have head great things about the RCA DLP televisions and I've heard terrible things about the RCA DLP televisions. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me? I'm about a week away from buying the unit myself. Thank you

Frank

Username: Ledge

Post Number: 5
Frank,

I think that my RCA 61" DLP TV is great. There is the fan noise that goes along with most DLP tv's, but you don't notice it after watching TV for a few minutes. Also the noise will vary on how far you are away from the TV.

Other than that, no problems at all. I have had my TV now for about 9 months and love every minute of it. The colors are great on DVD's and on HD programming.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

-Ledge

Post Number: 9
Hello Jeff and thank you for the response.

All of my local stores have the RCA HD61LPW42 61" DLP while none have the RCA HDLP61W151 61" DLP. Do you know if there's difference between the two? Also, which one did you purchase?

Frank

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"All of my local stores have the RCA HD61LPW42 61" DLP while none have the RCA HDLP61W151 61" DLP. Do you know if there's difference between the two? Also, which one did you purchase? "

Only two differences both of which are not too significant. The W151 has a black bezel vs silver for the W42. The W42 has a non-glare screen vs the Dayglow screen on the W151.

Plus I own the W42 and have been extremly pleased with the performance. Do be advised that this unit will not accept or display an external 720p inout even though the unit has a native display of 720p. The only 720p signal this unit will display is from it's own internal tuner from an OTA digital signal via an external antenna.

xvxvxvx

Username: Fmfjr

Post Number: 1
Jeff,

Does that mean I won't get as good of a picture with the RCA DLP? Where I live I don't get over the air HDTV, but do get it through my cable company. Also, my family regularly watches DVD movies through a progressive scan DVD player. What DLP TVs should I be considering?

Frank

Post Number: 6
Frank,

Well first I own the RCA HD61LPW42 61" DLP.

I have HDTV through my cable company and it looks great, as well as my DVD player in Progressive scan, my DVD player is quite expensive Denon player and it looks wonderful on my screen.

For my HD cable I get 1080i with component cables (DVI port not active) and for my DVD player I get 480p with the component cables. My DVD player isn't capable of displaying 720p due to the lack of the DVI port, but if you get a DVD player with DVI port, the RCA unit will accept it I believe. Even with the DVD player on 480p the picture looks great.

A good article to check out, it is the 50 inch version, but the same tech:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/704rca/

-Jeff

Post Number: 4
Jeff,

You've been most helpful along with a gentleman named 'Berny' regarding my decisions to get my new HT system. Regardless; I owe you two, as I couldn't have been more informed about the systems I'm looking into. I'll keep in tough with you and let you know which way I want and back you up as very insightful. Again, thank you!!!!

Rgds,
Frank

72morgan
Unregistered guest
The HDLP61W163 has a Cable Card , the 151 does not. I have seen a HDLP61W162 but do not know what the difference is.

Post Number: 6
Morgan,

Is the HDLP61W163 on the market yet?

If so, where do I go to purchase it?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Jeff wrote: "My DVD player isn't capable of displaying 720p due to the lack of the DVI port, but if you get a DVD player with DVI port, the RCA unit will accept it I believe. "

The 2004 models RCA will not accept or display an externally inputted 720p signal, period, either thru component or DVI. If you find the 163 it should be able to perform this but without any first hand confirmation I would check the unit first and not rely on a salesperson or the RCA specs.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So, the verdict is; I will never be able to get the best picture with the RCA unless I'm watching something on over-the-air HDTV? My family watch a lot of DVD movies! I know this is an open ended question, but here goes. Would I be foolish to go with the RCA because of this issue?!?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"Would I be foolish to go with the RCA because of this issue?!?"

I own one and cannot tell any loss in PQ between an OTA 720p signal and one that my STB converts to 1080i for my unit to display. Another reason to wait for the new RCA DLP would be that you will get the new TI Mustang HD2+ chip which will have better black levels. As far as that goes the contrast (black levels) during very dark scenes is the only complaint I have with my RCA DLP.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
"OTA 720p signal and one that my STB converts to 1080i for my unit to display"

Regarding your statement above; I'm pretty new at all of this and would like to know what I need to look for in the equipment supporting the RCA DLP TV. In other words, I'm not sure what the difference is between 720p and 1080i. If someone can put into perspective how these numbers differ and what I should know about them before diving into TH systems, I would be very grateful indeed.

Frank

Post Number: 7
"nother reason to wait for the new RCA DLP would be that you will get the new TI Mustang HD2+ chip which will have better black levels"

Actually all of the RCA DLP's have the TI HD2 chip. There is going to be an HD3 chip before long, but it isn't in any products. Don't expect the HD3 chip for a while.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/9682.html

Here is a link about different HDTV resolutions and what is the difference:

http://www.cheap-plasma-tv.com/hdtv-resolutions.htm

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Jeff wrote: "Actually all of the RCA DLP's have the TI HD2 chip. There is going to be an HD3 chip before long, but it isn't in any products. Don't expect the HD3 chip for a while. "

Actually they do not Jeff please look at my post, I wrote the "new" HD2+ not the HD2 chip which my RCA DLP has in it. The HD3 chip is a cheaper version than the HD2+ and I would avoid any sets with that chip unless you just want to save money.

You also wrote to not expect the HD3 in products any time soon. It is already in the latest "el-cheapo" Samsung DLP products. It is a step backward from the Captain Kirk light engine which has the HD2+ chip.

xvxvxvx

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Frank wrote: "In other words, I'm not sure what the difference is between 720p and 1080i."

You had better spend a few days searching the web for that information, otherwise we will spend days offering the technical differences. Suffice it to say all you need to know is that the two accepted HD (Hifg Definition) broadcast standards are 720p and 1080i. People will argue for the next decade as to which looks better.

You may start here:

http://hankfiles.pcvsconsole.com/answer.php?file=342

and here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/learn/about/chapters/0%2C%2C2076_3105627_3 105648%2C00.html

and here (one of my favorites):

http://www.alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I purchased the RCA HD61LPW42 last night and was stunned with its picture! I'll be back with comments once I get some time with my new baby.....

Frank

Username: Cocorowe

OK, I have a couple of questions. First, let me say that my husband bought the 51" Scenium with no real knowledge of this type of TV. He just went to the store, picked one that looked good and thought it would be a great TV. Anyway, we get it home, hook it up two days ago and can't figure the thing out. The picture quality sucks for such a pricey TV. I've played around with all the settings and can't seem to settle on any one. The picture is blurry one minute, clear the next, too orange the next, blah, blah.

Basically, I would like to know a couple of things. First, do I need some sort of special receiver for HDTV? If so, will that make the picture sharper? Will it make it so so that people aren't 'stretched' when I have it in the widescreen format? Right now the TV is hooked up to cable using the same cable we had with our old TV. Do we need some sort of digitial(?) cable? Am I not doing something right? I'm used to getting a TV, plugging it up and having everything work right. I didn't expect to have to learn a new language to use my TV.

Can anyone help?

Rena

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hello Rena,

Regarding your Cable Receiver (a.k.a. Cable Box) and/or your other video equipment; what type of video equipment are you using and how do you have them wired into the TV? I mean, do you have a DVD, VHS or Cable Box, all of the above or just a few and what types of cables are you using to hook them into the TV?

Are you using only the black coax cable from your cable company and running it, in series, from you video equipment into the TV?

I'm trying to get a feel of how you everything is arranged.

Frank

Username: Cocorowe

Post Number: 2
Hi Frank,

Right now all I have connected to the TV is the cable box. It's connected
using the standard black coax cable that we had hooked to our other TV.

Rena

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Rena,

You would need digital cable. Right now you're running on straight up analog video signal. With that TV you'll never be totally happy with the analog cable video.

Here's what I'm doing.
I, too, have an RCA DLP TV and getting a very good picture using the below systems.
• Digital Cable receiver w/ HDTV channels available ran with component video cables.
• A Sony DVD player with progressive scan ran to my TV with component video cables (Awesome!!).

Just going with cable TV straight into the RCA or any other DLP TV is not going to look good at all......

Frank

Anonymous

I gotta say ditto that.. I manage a tv/satelite store, and we carry the RCA 50 Scenium (Rena dear, I'm assuming you have a 50, not a 51 (they don't make 'em) and the 60DLP Scenium and the 60DLP.. You WILL get terrible reception using standard coax.. The back of your tv has inputs other than the screw in one for the antenna, Labeled C1, C2, DVI, 1080p, ect.. Use the colored inputs, red white and yellow (aka component) to connect from your cable box to your tv.. Alternately, use get a HiDefination cable box, and use the YpRpB inputs (red, blue, green along with L/R audio using component cabling) to connect to you telivision for best picture quality.

WildCard

Anonymous

I was just wondering I have ordered a rca 50" dlp. I will be delivered saturday. If it wont accept 720p input than if I connect an HDTV directv receiver to the DVI what resolution will the TV display and HD program? Thanks for your help...Sure Hope I didnt make a mistake getting the TV...

Anonymous

Could any one help me on the "main" differences, if any, among these 61" RCA DLP models (and your experiences on thme as well - like or dislike).
a) HDLP61W151
b) HDLP61W42
c) HD61LPW162, 163, 164, 165
Many thanks.
Ano

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
go to rca.com and they have some info on most of these sets. some is under press releases and some on the scenium site. hope this helps.

Username: Dcdib

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=143237#POST143237

Frank, what's the latest on your RCA Scenium? Can you offer any feedbac'k - pros/cons? I'm considering the same set. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Dave

jeff1234
Unregistered guest
Anyone know who is selling the HD61LPW165? I have seen the 50 inch version at a few places (not locally in my area -- Wash DC).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us