Is Circuit City $500 6 year warranty worth it?

Anonymous

I bought a Sony KF50we610 from Circuit City, and I have 14 days to decide if I want to purchase the 6 year extended warranty for $500. Is it worth purchasing? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
Here in the Seattle area a major electronic store (Video Only) charges $180 for a 5 year extended Warranty. That's what I paid for my $3000 JVC. Did you use your Credit card to buy your set? A lot of Visa cards (and maybe others) will double the factory warranty. Some cards even offer a fairly cheap extended warranty. That route might be worth checking out. $500 just seems way too high.

Username: Sacred

Post Number: 1
Exactly!! 500 for extended warrant?? Hahahhaa...I dont think so. I was just at Best Buy purchasing Sony WEGA LDC TV. Best Buy wanted me to buy there $400 extended warranty. I said "no". Then they try to convince me in getting a power conditioner for the TV...which is $200.00. I said "no" at least not now but maybe in the future. Anyway bottom line is Dont waste your money on warranties or Extended warranty. The 1 year warranty is good enoungh. Just make sure you take care of your product and it will take care of you.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 54
Mr.Lynch, I own a Visa, do I have to register the product I purchase with my card with Visa, or is it automatically covered?

b04
Unregistered guest
When you consider that the light bulb is covered under Best Buy's 4 year warrenty for 400$ it IS worth buying because the price of the light bulb itself is usually 400$, so if the light bulb gets replaced one time you've already paid for it. Also the power condtioner is well worth the money, it dramatically enhances your picture by eliminating all of the Electromagnetic interfearence and other problems that can effect the picture quality of your tv as well as the sound if you get a surround sound system. Sony's warrenty is only 1 year parts and 90 days labor, meaning that after 90 days you have to pay for ALL of the labor that needs to be done on your tv. Call around, you will find that work on HDTV's are not cheap. But that is just my oppinion, after being burned by not buying the warrenty in the past, it gives you a differnt perspective, but just remember that all of the extra accessories that you get offered, are usually worth your money weather you want to spend the money or not. Your picture is only as good as your cables and everything else is.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us