HLP5085W advice requested; DVI cables & PWR cond

Username: Unforgivn

Post Number: 2
Anxiously awaiting delivery of the new 5085 purchased on labor day. Newby would greatly appreciate advice:

1. Do I need a power conditioner. BB recommended a monster powerbar 1100 for $200. Do I need this or possibly need to upgrade to something else? Willing to scrape uo more pennies if will help performance.

2. Will use Direct TV HD, going to buy a Samsung HD satellite box tomorrow. Can I use the DVI cable supplied with the box or do I really need to get a monster DVI cable for best performace.

Thank you

Username: Salrmrcrey

CA USA

Post Number: 6
the power conditioner will keep your set safe from surges, plus it has clean power which will clean the electricity going to your set for a nice, steady picture.

on the cable, i've heard since the dvi signal is digital, it doesn't matter which brand of dvi cable you use. monster is good, but way overpriced. you can find a cheap dvi cable and get the same great and awesome results.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 49
Good post Rob, I am thinking the same.

Salr, thanks for the info, very helpful. You're right about Monster products being over priced.

Username: Chopper414

New York, New York

Post Number: 3
I have the 5685W unit and I'm wondering which is the best dvd player connection, DVI, component, or HDMI? I'm planning to buy the Samsung DVD-HD 941 unit when it comes out at the end of Sept.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 43
To be honest on the Powerbar issue you might be better served with something like this...

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=23&tab=features

I have the 1000kva and run my HLN617W, Motorola 6208 HD/DVR, cable modem, and SFF HTPC off of it at %50 load. It has AVR and power conditioning and will allow you to power off the TV during a power outage (~15 minutes runtime @ %50 load) gracefully finishing the cooling cycle for the bulb.

It is about the same price as the Powerbar as well.

And yes Monster is WAY overpriced. While I disagree with the "it's a digital signal so it will work or it won't" mindset that seems popular but untrue as noise can affect digital signals as well as analog. It's all voltage differences and EMI and noise can spike and dirty digital signals as well as analog the only way to avoid EMI is to go all optical.

That said it is correct that a $25 generic 6' DVI cable (or a free included one) will perform as well as a $99 6' Monster cable (unless you ask Monster or the commision driven salesman :-) ).

For longer runs though shielding can improve signal quality (but Monster is still probably not the best choice).

My 2 pennies...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us