Hitachi 50V500 Problems....post them here!

Username: Ryan_vegas

Post Number: 1
After 11 months of quality picture and zero problems, my TV has stopped producing accurate color. When watching cable in standard 4:3 aspect, the black bars on the side have become white, and faces are washed out. Grey's seem to be non existant as are greens (green filter in the video settings works) as well as the green volume bar. It seems like an A/D converter has gone bad. Its certianly not the lamp or the screen.

The TV is under warranty for another month and I currently have a local Las Vegas technician visiting a week from now. I will post on how the situation was handled and what it was that went wrong, for those that are tracking problems.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 199
Ryan:
Please see this nearby link for a similar problem with the 50V500.

Username: Regancc

St Louis Metro East, IL

Post Number: 1
Hello all...

Just got my 50v500A.

So far, I'm not sure what to think. We got a great deal from Ultimate Electronics, open box, with the stand.

We are using Charter HD Cable, but right now the cable box isn't "reset" to accept us as HD customers, so we don't get those channels...yet.

Charter is "fixing" the problem this Sat. Thanks to those of you recommending the line amp...I will also ask the tech to install one and replace the cable from the outside splitter to this TV...my upstairs cheap 27" pic looks really good in our bedroom, but the 57" Sony projection TV we migrated from is now in the basement and the signal is horrible, so needless to say, the cable guy has some work to do...

Seems my installers were not so competent and also in a big hurry to get to their other 4 jobs!

I am using all Monster cables, component from the progressive scan DVD player and DVI from the cable box. I must say I didn't really notice the difference from the "cheap" component cable Charter installed on the receiver when I upgraded it to the DVI...at least not like some of you are raving about...could be my bad signal...I don't know.

One thing I do know is I went to eBay and bought a generic 2M DVI for $20 (shipped) and will return the $107 2M Monster cable I got from CC!!

I am noticing some screen door effect but only on scene transitions...is there a way to correct this?

I also used the maintenance menu and checked the hours of use...170...which was a major relief knowing this TV wasn't out on the floor for a year...and it was built in Feb '04 as well.

Well, any advice is welcome...sometimes when the TV is on it is awesome, and other times it is difficult to watch (grainy and snowy)...perhaps I'm just expecting so much more from an HDTV...

Keeping an open mind...

Chip

Post Number: 2
Thanks John S. It does seem as if this is the same problem that is described in the link you provided.

Post Number: 3
Serviceman came and diagonsed the TV today. It looks like the light engine has lost blue and red capability and needs to be replaced. They will be back in a week to pick it up and the turn around is expected to be a few weeks.

If you have read this post and are interested in purchasing this TV, I would get an extended warranty. Personally, I avoid most extended warranties, but this is a high end unit with a limited history, I would recommend one.

If you buy from Sears, keep in mind that if you purchase the extended warranty after the manufacturers warranty expires, they will charge you an arm and a leg.

They quoted three quotes over two calls spanning 30 minutes. Are you ready for your jaw to drop?

first quote: $1290.89 for 5 years

magically dropped to $1090.05 because I asked.

Called Sears again 15 minutes later after receiving a quote from Satisfusion to see if they would deal and then:

Sears quoted me $1590.89!

I wonder how they stay in business treating their customers like idiots. I am acutely aware of capitalism and support it, but my goodness!

In any case, I havent purchased an extended warranty yet. Does anyone have any good experiences with a company offering service for the Hitachi?

A national company, Satisfusion, quoted me $549.99 for five years, but their warranty begins from the purchase date. In essence, its a 4 year warranty. Thats $137.50 per year for all parts and labor. Sounds smart. Anyone have any advice?

Post Number: 4
To answer your question about the Screen Door effect, Chip, unfortunately, theres nothing you can do about that. Its inherent to the LCD display.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us