"Why would people want to watch live TV in prime time?"

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I took the suggestion of a local annonymous troll in the HD Olympics thread and made this post.

So why would you? I mean isn't it better to either Ti-Vo or record your prime time shows to an HDD and watch them at your lesure when it is convenient for you? Why should you feel restricted to viewing TV on the networks schedule?

If you are one of the types who is unable to wait even 30 seconds for a sports score or to know who had sex with whom on Friends then perhaps a convenient schedule is not for you. However if you like to take charge of your own life and your own time then I suggest you join the time-shifting generation and throw off the chains of network TV schedules.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 201
If the numerous blinking clock lights on VCRs I've seen in other homes in the last twenty+ years is any indication, a lot of people aren't interested in time shifting. Were it not for the movie rental business (c. 1982?), VCR sales would have been limited to a relatively small number of video hobbyists.

Anonymous

If you follow the network schedule you don't have to think!

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 25
People that have not had a Tivo in their home just don't get it. They have no idea how a Tivo completely transforms the way that you watch TV. I've convinced ALL of my friends, family, and co-workers to get Tivo or some kind of DVR and all of them have the same opinion "how did I ever live without it".

For all the people reading this that do not have a Tivo/DVR. You're really missing out and you really should get one. It's a TV evolution as big as when color TV was introduced...it's HUGE!

I could write on and on about all the great things a Tivo gives you. But, bottom line, why should you alter your life's schedule for a TV show? Your time is more important than that! A Tivo allows you to watch what you want, when you want and it's very very easy to use...don't be afraid...get one. Plus, why be stuck in front of the TV for an entire hour to watch your favorite show when you can skip commercials and watch it in 40min? I guarantee you won't regret it. After having one for a month you'll be a Tivo advocate trying to convince everyone you know that they need one and you'll look at the people who don't have one as if they're crazy and should be commited to an insane assylum!

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 84
I agree with some of your feelings about how great Tivos are. There is only one thing that your missing though, IMO.

Each individual makes a personal cost/benefit analysis for each given product, and assigns a personal value for which they'd be willing to spend to receive that benefit. For one person, paying over $1,000 for the benefits offered by a HD-Tivo is a no brainer. For many others, $1,000 is way overpriced for the services they deliver.

Me personally??? Since I own a large HD television, I would only consider the purchase of a HD-tivo. For me, the service they provide is not worth $1,000.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have a HD-Tivo, but my personal value is much lower than their current prices. In a few years when their prices drop to around $300-$400, I'll definitely go buy one but until that time comes, I'll just have to pass.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Anonymous

if you are lucky enough to have Comcast Cable, via the Motorola DCT6400 hi def combo tuner/dvr you can time shift with perfect hi def reproductions 10 to 15 channels including local channels, with zero upfront $$$, about 12 to 15 dollars a month to Comcast

The hard drive holds somewhere between 12 to 15 hrs in hi def, alot more with non-hd, however who wants non-HD these days

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
thanks for the info. I have comcast for my computer, but wont let them near my TV though. I guess im out of luck.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 60
Paul,

May I ask why you won't consider Comcast for your TV? With thier HD DVR I consider them to be the best choice for now. I'm definitly a very happy customer. I just barily switched from DirecTV because I refuse to pay $1000 for an HD Tivo.

I totally agree with you on the HD Tivo, I would never pay $1000 for one, $300 is about my limit. That is why I switched to comcast which only charges $10/month for theirs. And it works almost as good as my DirecTivo did and gives me HD recording. They have no commitment, you could try it for a month and if you don't like it call them up and cancel. They've got some great deals for people switching from dish/directv. They gave me $20/month off for an entire year ($240). Plus I get a $10/month discount on my internet with them. It's great!

Another serious problem with DirecTV is they are about to transition their HD content to MPEG4 compression. That means anyone with a current HD receiver/Tivo will not be able to use it once the transition occurs. And there is no guarantee DirecTv will give you a free upgrade to a new receiver that is capable of MPEG4. My guess is that they'll let you upgrade in exchange for a 1 or 2 year contract.

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Brian,

Like most people, I'd had many years of experience being a cable customer and have had nothing but bad experiences. When Direct TV started up, I was more than happy to leave cable far behind.

Satellite is much more reliable and has a better picture....IMO.(eventhough I havnt seen the cable HD picture) Im just talking in general terms from before HD.

I've had direct TV since mid 2000, and couldnt be more happy with the service and reliability. Ive had a grand total of ZERO service issues in 5 years. As often as I have outages with my computer, I'd be more than happy to dump my comcast internet cable connection too, but there arent any viable options with the same bandwidth. My 4/mps connection rocks, so I'll hang onto that.

I agree that the HD tivo rental is a great deal, but even if they gave me a tivo for free, I wouldnt change. Plus, I get several sports subscriptions(espnGameplan, Sunday ticket..etc, etc) and various other things from time to time, and I knew(at least at one time)they werent available elsewhere. I have no problems getting local channel HD programming, so that isnt an issue.

All in all, I basically fall into the 'i hate cable' camp because of many years of experience, and until I have problems with my current service, I wouldnt consider switching back.

Bronze Member
Username: Lobo65

Post Number: 22
I'm with you Paul. I'm not switching from DirecTV either. I just wish their HD TIVO wasn't so darned expensive. I'm actually going to wait until it comes down in price to get HD programming. I'll continue to use my old DirecTV receiver/TIVO DVR until the HD ones come down in price.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 76
I wouldn't expect big price drops with the HD Tivo until the new version comes out capable of mpeg4. There was a news article today about humax partnering with DirecTV to produce the hardware.
http://news.designtechnica.com/article6718.html
Tivo is out...sad since it's the superior DVR on the market. Even if the current HD Tivo drops in price, I would be hesitent to buy it because DirecTV is switching to MPEG4 later this year for it's HD channels. When that happens the current HD Tivo is useless.
I was a very happy DirecTV customer for about 5 years. I will consider going back to them in 2006 after they transition to MPEG4 and they have a cheaper HD DVR.

It's been about 2 months with Comcast, and so far I give them high marks. No problems as of yet! I'm really loving the HD DVR and the HD content. Being able to record the local channels in HD is very important for my wife and I...you cannot do that with the DirecTV HD Tivo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Brian,

Im glad you're happy with it. As far as price dropping?? Wow.....Heck, my first DVD player in 98 cost about $500, and it only had two channel stereo hookups......

Times change fast......The worst thing about my first DVD player was that it was next to impossible to find a good movie in DVD format.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 98
Huge Tivo/Comcast news!!!

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050315-4701.html?12890

Now that Tivo and Comcast have a partnership...I'm probably never going back to DirecTV!!! I just hope Comcast supports all the extra features that were never available through the DirecTV Tivo. I'm so excited about this news...maybe they'll choose me for a beta tester!

Unregistered guest
To build, host a web site or get your computers cleaned, visit www.leasesoft.ca

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 408
Dumb question. Why? Same reason some folks prefer Coke over Pepsi or the color red over blue. Come on guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
Heh.....nice response dale.

Hey, we all need p33-breaks anyway, right?? Why not time them, and channel surfing around commercials??

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 413
Yep. People are free to do, shall we say, less than intelligent things with their money. Look at the folks who continue to purchase Samsung products despite tons of evidence that many of the offerings are unreliable. However, I would much prefer to be free to make dumb choices than to be always forced to make smart ones.

Anonymous

This may be a bit off topic but after reading a few of the posts thought this would be usefull...
Just got the Motorola HD with DVR installed yesterday. saw a problem right away and confirmed it on one of the other forums. Analog channels look terrible thru the motorola. Only fix is to install splitter and change inputs when watching analoge channels (1-100) real pain in the but. I guess my dream of one remote for everything is still just a dream.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
You can always get a "learning" remote. Mine works fine for me (since I was the one who programmed it) but my wife hates it so much that there are still 5 remotes on our coffee table.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us