Any reviews on the Panasonic PT50DL54 or JVCHD52Z585?

Username: Skinrat

Post Number: 1
Well i've read forum after forum, thread after thread and need to make a decision! I've looked at the Sammy, Toshiba, Mitsi, JVC and have yet to see the Panasonic, but wondered if anyone can give me some insight on the Panasonic and the JVC.

I know the JVC uses different technology than the others and most of these are the first models out using DLP technology. I'm not going to buy just based on the Pic Quality alone, but wondered what feedback you may have on the other models too.

Thanks,

Frank

Bronze Member
Username: Bajanbeef

Post Number: 15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE DECIDED TO STOP WAITING FOR SAMSUNG WITH THEIR BACK AND FORTH STORIES ABOUT A TABLETOP VERSION OF HLP 50/5685W. AFTER VIEWING MANY TVs INCLUDING THE TOUTED JVC D-ILA (HD52725) AND THE MITSUBISHI WD52525 WITH IT'S GLARE-ARAMA SCREEN, I HAVE SETTLED FOR THE PANASONIC PT 50DL54. ON BOTH DAYS THIS TV WAS SHARPER THAN THE PEDESTAL. STANDARD DIRECT TV VIA S VIDEO IS PRETTY DARN GOOD. FORGET DVD, IT'S LIKE 3D AND CLOSE TO HD ESPECIALLY ON ITS VIVID SETTING. AND THIS IS VIA COMPONENT CABLES. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I GET HD. THE BLACKS AND ALL COLORS ARE LIKE CRT OR BETTER (THANKS TO HD2+ AND 8 SEGMENT COLOR WHEEL). LAMP RATED AT 10000 HOURS. FAN COOLS LAMP FOR 1 MINUTE UPON SHUTDOWN AND IT IS QUIET. SAMSUNG WENT BACK TO HD2 AND MODIFIED IT FOR ITS 5674W. IT IS NOT EVEN A GEN 4 ENGINE. IT IS 2000:1 COMPARED TO PANNYS 2500:1. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY DECISION. IF YOU GUYS WANT TO WAIT AROUND AND TRY TO JUSTIFY BUYING A MITS, FEEL FREE.

Unregistered guest
Indeed, the Panasonic PT50DL54 is the best looking DLP I have seen to date. The close second is the Toshiba DLP (52HM84). My concern is that I really don't see DLP rainbows in the showrooms, but the feed is almost always HD, and I hear it usually shows up on lower res material. So you buy and hope you don't start noticing the rainbows once it's in your living room!

Frank, you asked about the JVC sets. They use D-ILA, which is their flavor of LCOS. The D-ILA does look better than the Philips LCOS sets, but IMHO they are far from acceptable (I'm a photographer, and what you might call "fussy" about picture quality.)

If I had to buy today, it would be the Panasonic PT50DL54. You can always wait; D-ILA and LCOS will get better, and Sony's XSRD RP sets will start showing up in Jan 05. But it's like with digital cameras or computers; at some point, just jump in and enjoy it! Don't get too surprised if in 2 or 3 years you decide to upgrade- you KNOW the sets will look much better and come down in price!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
check these pics of the pt50dl54 in action.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
CAPTAIN KIRK, COME IN TO SPOCK.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 50
It's very, ummm, blue...

BajanBeef, I am really glad you like your Panny and it is a nice set (although SD via Svideo and DVDs don't qualify it, if you think you have a woody now wait till HD).

One request though, PLEASE CHECK YOUR CAPSLOCK when posting. Bash the Sammy and Mits at will but posting in all CAPS is considered by most as rude and usually will just get your post ignored.

Also note (from an old timer who watched in '66) that while Spock was logical and calculating (and really BLUE), Kirk was colorful, bright, and full of emotion and life... Things that make ya' go HMMMM...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
For your information I did state 4 posts ago that standard def is pretty good via s video and I cannot wait until I get high def (can you find it?). That is why I bought a male HDMI to female DVI adapter because I know DVI and HDMI are the best possible connections right now with component being a close second. This tv has not been calibrated yet and those are out of the box photos with little adjustments. The sony digital camera could never duplicate real life and that scene with Maximus, Caesar and the other fellar was quite a blue and dimly lit scene. Believe you me this set is sayind a lot. I will check my caps. No offence, I just liked to type that way.

Unregistered guest
I can not be sure which of
HD2, HD2+, or HD3 chip
is used in PT50DL54 PANASONIC DLP TV.
I asked PANASONIC vis e-mail, and they have answered " HD2 ".
If anyone wants, I will forward their e-mail reply stating that they have HD2 in this DLP model, yet their web site reads "HD2+" !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us