Samsung HLP5085W Finally!!

Username: Jake_the_dog

Post Number: 1
I finally got the Samsung yesterday. I originally got a new Sony 50" LCD at BB as it was on sale for $2399. Too good to pass up. I also got a Samsung Sirt-S360 HD Receiver. After a week of Olympics, I decided I wanted a better contrast ratio on my HD set. I checked 4 stores and narrowed it down to the Samsung and the Mitsubishi 52525. Yes I saw the Toshiba and it looked nice but I have never been fond of them. I set both sets to "Neutral" settings and picked the Sammy due to what I viewed as richer color, a DVI and a HDMI input, and lack of glare on the screen. BB aplied a competitors 10% off coupon and the great TV swap was set for Sun 8-22. The delivery CO never showed up so Mon I called and Tue I went to BB to cancel the whole order. I was quite upset. BB offered me $500 to not cancel the order and threw in a free mini dvd player that was on promo. The swap was re-set to Sat 8-28. The delivery company missed their window and I was told no set Sat, maybe Sun but likely not until Mon. I called BB and they gave me another $125 off for all my grief. Sun was a no go so I got it yesterday at lunch time. The set had 2 stuck mirrors at first but by the end of the night all were functioning fine. SD images are quite mushy but I got this for HD. HD images are incredible. My dvd player through composite inputs looks almost HD. Overall I am quite happy with my choice and hope the stuck mirrors do not return. After all the grief and discounts the set cost me $3075. BB is great on the customer service and I am once again happy. Good luck to all on your set searches.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 38
Jake the Doggy,

Hey man congrats again on your new set. Damn you went throught quite a lot just to get the darn thing delivered, but it seems all worth it.

How is it running? Can you go into details as far as the Capt Kirks connections in the back (how many HDMI, DVI,) etc..?

Post Number: 5
TMSKILZ,

It has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI connection, 2 component inputs, 2 composite inputs, and 1 PC input. Pretty flexible setup. I use satellite and will want Hi def DVD so I will need 2 direct digital inputs. The set is great. I had a dark and a light mirror stuck the first night but they are all working properly now. The contrast ratio is great. Once you get out of a retail store it looks much better. I saved a ton on the set so I am over the delivery fiasco(s). It is much more stunning than the LCD was and there seem to be more variations in color as well as detail depth than the LCD could show. So far no problems and I am hoping to keep it that way. The round display on the pedestel has warning indicators for lamp, blower fan, and vent restriction/overheating. It will shut itself down if it starts to overheat, keep the fan on and give you a warning on that display. Pretty sweet. Now I just have to figure out how to conceal the jungle of wiring that I have exposed. I think I am going to cut a slot into some PVC pipe, tuck all the wires into it, attach it to the wall and paint it to match. That should keep the wife happy. Did you decide on a set yet? What is driving your decision?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Jake,

My thing is I want true HD viewing & in order to get that I need a set with 1080p native resolution & it seems Samsung's next set will be capable of that but @ a higher cost.

Trust me, I went to BB in NJ, since I'm staying a few days with my friend who lives in NJ, and saw the 5085W set & it looks sweet, but next yr or a couple yrs down the road when 1080p programs & DVD (HD-DVD & BLU-RAY DVD) BECOME MORE COMMON PLACE, the Capt Kirk won't be able to display it, so I don't want to regret that down the line.

There lies my dilemma!

Post Number: 6
I guess you just have to be progresive, or get a better job. I am not going to wait a year or two or three to get a 1080i set because by the time they offer the programming for the set, there will be sets that will be far more capable to handle it than what you will be buying next year. It is like buying a 64 bit PC right now. Great idea but no programming or operating system for it. Just get a set and enjoy what today has to offer TODAY. In 3-5 years move it up to your bedroom and get a better set. That's my plan. Good Luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Jake adopt me so I can buy my HDTV of my dreams!

:-)

Post Number: 7
Oh come on now, my point is simply enjoy today for today. If you get too wrapped up in what's coming around the corner you will go insane. If you get a really good deal today it takes the sting out of becoming obsolete in 6-12 months. The latest and greatest technology costs double at first. To get the best deal you have to wait until the next latest and greatest comes out of the pipeline. I can tell you that the HLP 5085W makes my DirecTV look very good. I got the SIRT-S360 receiver and the images on "regular" digital feed look really nice through a DVI Monster cable. The other big piece to all of this is a good power conditioner. My wife and I could both see a marked difference before adding the power conditioner and after. I went through e-bay and saved a ton. The images are much sharper overall. I watched matchbox 20 Live in HD on set last night and could catch the rainbow effect of I panned side to side quickly. I have to work to see it. My brother bought a 50" Plasma set and I would not trade TV's with him. My set is definitely sharper overall and his has more of a screen door effect than mine. Not bad for under 1/2 the price. Best wishes in your quest. Keep me and the rest of the forum posted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Jake,

You lost me on 2 statements you made.

1) Power conditioner? What is that? Are you refering to an Amplifier or Receiver?

2)This is your quote "I watched matchbox 20 Live in HD on set last night and could catch the rainbow effect of I panned side to side quickly. I have to work to see it." You have that dreaded rainbow effect?

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 40
TMSKILZ Quote:

"Trust me, I went to BB in NJ, since I'm staying a few days with my friend who lives in NJ, and saw the 5085W set & it looks sweet, but next yr or a couple yrs down the road when 1080p programs & DVD (HD-DVD & BLU-RAY DVD) BECOME MORE COMMON PLACE, the Capt Kirk won't be able to display it, so I don't want to regret that down the line"

TMSkilz, the following link is a good read:

http://ilovehdtv.com/hdtv/flahertyhist.html

I'm not positive of the timeline validity but it looks about right to me. I remember the early 90s talk (and cost) of "widescreen" and HDTV. The industry is just now getting a "slight" handle on 720p and 1080i and HD programming is barely filtering into the mass market space now. broad acceptance of 1080p will likely not begin by the time you want a new set regardless of the hype IMHO.

A power conditioner removes excess noise etc from the AC line.

Now to resume my wait for a Holodeck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Gene,

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

Where can I look up a Power Conditioner?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vBzC3BqM7QI/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=9&g=54000&s=0&c c=01&search=

http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=12

There are some starting points. Do a forum search and I'm sure youll find plenty of info.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Thanks Gene, you're the meng (Man)!

Username: Unforgivn

Post Number: 4
Gene - just purchsed a 5085W. Called Samsung tech support and they said a power conditional will have no effect on TV performace (just need surge protection). Sounds like it did for you, what type do you have and what was the cost?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Rob,

Actually as far as noise on my power lines I'm OK. Having worked in avionics & electronics for the majority of my adult life (won't go into "exactly" how adult I am :-) ) the Samsung tech is not exactly correct. While most consumer electronics are designed to accept "dirty" power having a clean source can extend the life of electronics and solve what are sometimes "ghost" problems.

That said I use a ~ $190.00 UPS, not primarily for conditioning but for allowing the DLP to finish it's cooling cycle by running the fan after a power failure and to protect from spikes caused by power fluctuations which can be deadly to electronics. (The DLP, cable box, HTPC, and broadband router are on the UPS).

The question has been asked "How can heat go up when power goes out if the bulb is not burning as well?". When the set is on and the bulb lit the fan is aiding in removing heat and causes the are inside the compartment that contains the electronics to maintain a more or less constant temperature. During a normal cool down cycle the heat source is removed but the heat removal process (the fan) continues thereby dropping the temperature by cycling outside air through the compartment and venting residual heat.

If, however the cooling cycle is interrupted by a power outage then the residual heat is trapped somewhat and the heated air already inside the compartment acts as an insulator actually maintaining the high temperature and without the benefit of cooling air the trapped residual heat in the bulb can cause the temperature to "spike" not just for the bulb but for all electronics in the compartment (the same thing can happen with a computers CPU). That's why I use a UPS for the DLP, the power conditioning features are an added bonus (although important as well).

While power conditioning on the DLP in most cases may not affect PQ it definitely can affect the life of the set.

Username: Mtcpa

Post Number: 4
just recieved my 5085 "captain kirk" model yesterday and also have the samsung TS360 HDTV directv reciever. have them hooked up with component cables (3 of them) from the reciever to the TV. is this the best way to go to get the best picture? also, what settings do i need to do to get the best quality picture availabe thorugh directv? i did go ahead and get their HD programming but only a couple of channels come in HD right now. really got the tv to watch the NFL games that will be broadcast in HDTV through my reciever.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" but next yr or a couple yrs down the road when 1080p programs & DVD (HD-DVD & BLU-RAY DVD) BECOME MORE COMMON PLACE, the Capt Kirk won't be able to display it, so I don't want to regret that down the line"

Actually whether or not the Kirk will accept the 1080p signal is a non-factor it will still display a signal in 720p. I do not believe 1080p transmission of broadcasts will be even considered for another decade or longer. It would require an excessive amount of bandwidth not to mention entirely new equipment down the line starting with cameras, monitiors, satellites, network equipment, local affilliate equipment and home displays.

There may be several reasons not to purchase this unit but worrying about 1080p is certainly not one of them.

Post Number: 9
Douglas, Use either DVI or HDMI to connect your digital source to the TV. The Kirk is one of the only current sets to offer both inputs. Both are digital to digital with no analog conversion. This will give you the pest picture quality. Component cable is good but as it needs to be converted to analog not as good. On the 1080P issue, if the set displays at 1080P but the source is only 720P it is going to look like 380i on a 720P or need to be Up-converted which leads to distortion. Either way 720P will be the dominant standard for quite a while so find a set that doe sthat well. On the rainbow effect, if you look from one side of the screen to the other as fast as you can during a very dark scene, you get a ghostly image with a rainbow afterimage. It is wierd but only happens if I force myself to see it. I just wanted to see what it looked like and as best as I can tell that is what it is. I'll gladly trade that for dead pixels on a LCD screen any day. I bought a Monster Power conditioner and though it was costly I saved $100 on e-bay brand new in a sealed box and there is a noticeable difference in the picture clarity with it in place. It is filtering the satellite feeds too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Jake you're the meng!
Now you get to watch my Cowboys & America's Team stink it up this year on your brand new fresh Capt Kirk DLP set.

Jake I think I'll make the Capt kirk plunge like yourself & others already have.

Interesting tid bit for those shooting down 1080p programming & movies.
In the July/Aug issue of Sound & Vision mag, in the "Feedback" section (Pg.16) a subscriber writes in talking about 1080p content from MS via the WMVHD (Windows Media Video High Defintion) DVD's.

Here's the article word for word......

(suBscribers email) Windows Goes High-Def:
In replying to reader ....comment about "HD hipsters anxiously awaiting the advent of the HD-DVD" (May issue "Feedback" section), you wrote, "we'll be waiting until 06' before HD-DVD equipment or software is available." Well, I've been enjoying a WMVHD-DVD called the Coral Reef Adventure for weeks via my PC. The best irony came four pages later when I saw the full-page ad from MS that stated "Finally! HD-DVD's are here."
MS has created a HD codec that allows a
1080p(Progressive) signal, not 1080i(Interlaced), but a 1080p to fit onto a standard DVD.

(Sound & Visions response): We wrote about the WMVHD format DVD's a year ago ("HD-DVD's Today? July/Aug 2003 issue"), but @ that time all of the releases in the format would play only on PC's, not standalone players. We've been following the situation, and the same is still true. The V Inc. Bravo D3 DVD player, which was announced @ last year's Jan CES, but is not yet available, is designed to play WMV discs, but only if they've been formatted for use on a standalone DVD player, which doesn't include any of the current releases.

Post Number: 10
Hey, I'm a Cowboys fan too but I'm also a Red Sox fan so it shows what I know about winning championships. If Vinny stays healthy who knows? Unfortunately I will be stuck watching the Patriots on my local CBS affiliate as that is all I can get in Hi Def off the terrestrial antenna. My wife now wants the Hi Def Directv Tivo Box. Just when I thought I was done for a while. The Samsung SIRT-S360 goes back to BB tomorrow. The Tivo should arrive next week. Wish me luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Cool.
Why are you returning the Samsung SIRT? I assume that is a HD tuner?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Getting the Hughes HR10-250 HD Tivo Box instead.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
oh ok, kool.

Username: Xxxfubar187xxx

Post Number: 3
I think people are missing the fact that the new Samsung 97 series TV's will deinterlace 1080i. So all these 1080i signals we watch today will be 1080p no need to throw any pixels away. I do agree that SD would look very poor stretched to 1080p, but I'm sure they'll come up with a fix for it. Also being a computer buff I plan on building a HTPC to go along with my TV. This will allow me to utilize the TV's 1080p capabilites and play games at 1920x1080 on a 61" screen! Can you ask for anything more? I for one can't wait to sit in Good Guys for hours watching the new 1080p TV's. They better have a couch ready for me.

Username: Unforgivn

Post Number: 8
Having annoying problems with delays in audio and video matching up on the 5085W when is SD, can anyone please help with a recommendation to fix?

Using samsung 360 HDTV reveiver with monster DVI to TV, the 360 reciever set to 720P...helP please

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
It is possibly the receiver, not the television. I returned my Samsung SIRT-S360 (Ditec-TV)and am looking at the Hughes HD Tivo unit. In the interem I hooked up my old hughes Tivo SD box through S Video. The SD Broadcasts are excellent where with the Samsung HD receiver they were blotchy and awful looking. I am going to get the NEW Tivo receiver when the prices fall a bit and if the output for SD is as bad as the Samsung I returned I will use 2 receivers until all goes digital in 2006.

Unregistered guest
I would like to buy the sammy hlp5085w. The salesman is telling me they have been having a great problem with bulbs going out. They don't have the tv in stock and I think he is just trying to lead me to another tv that they have in stock. Your replies would be greatly appreciated. Also is anyone using the Hughes/Directv HD receiver/tivo recorder. I have read on another board that 2 out of 7 receivers are defective.
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I have had my set for just over 4 weeks now. I have had no issues except for poor SD picture quality from the Sir-TS360 receiver through DVI. I think the bulb issue is a crock. I was going to get the HD Tivo receiver but reconsidered. The cheapest price I can find is $875 on e-bay. I have 2 Hughes Tivo Boxes now. I am just going to get another HD receiver to use for the 6 channels that DirecTv broadcasts. I really can't imagine needing to record BIG or HD Discovery channel. They repeat the shows over and over anyway. The SD signal through S-Video looks far better than through DVI. I bought the Samsung HD-841 DVD player last week to see if it lived up to the hype I have read about it. It does. The Star Wars Trilogy, Shrek, and The Indiana Jones Trilogy are all I have played on it so far but the Up-Converted PQ is stunning through DVI. It can't be compared to Component Video. You can hook it up both ways and see for yourself. I'll get the HD Tivo box when the prices drop, probably around the holidays. Good luck on your new set. People will split hairs over all of these sets. None are perfect. If you can handle the pedestal, the PQ on this set is awesome. HDMI and DVI inputs is killer too. Digital DVD and Digital HDTV. How can you lose?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
I think I'll wait for the 1080p xHD3 DLP chip model, but from majority of reviewes the 85 model is a great buy as well.
Jake the Doggy, how's that Star Wars trilogy DVD set looking on that hot capt kirk set of yours meng?

Howdoin
Unregistered guest
Just got my "Kirk" last week and it looks great, this set was born for HD, but...

- Standard def. looks very poor compared to my old set.

I am using the Kirk w/a Motorola DTC 5100 cable box and a subscription to basic cable + HD basic (RCN).
The cable box is set to 720p for HD and 420p for the rest.

Does anyone know of any way to get a better picture when watching the regular channels.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hi all,

TMSKILZ, Star Wars is sweet, The Day After Tomorrow and Twister are awesome, pretty much everything that was shot well looks terriffic. The Sopranos look pretty good, Friends looks awful. Oh well.

Howdoin, Use an S-Video cable into one of your other inputs for the SD Channels and it will not only look better but you won't have Audio Sync issues either. Pushing SD through a HD input seems to be a bad idea and the picture quality and audio issues all improve when using S-video instead. I hope this helps.

Username: Mchuckp

Post Number: 1
Can someone clear up the whole dvi thing? From my understanding, DVI and HDMI is strictly a digital signal. So at this time, only HD programming is coming through as digital. Does this mean if I hook up a DVI or HDMI to my HD receiver, only HD channels will show up through them. Therefore, I will need to also hook up component video or s-video as well for standard definition.

If I use component video meant for HD, through this set up will the TV and receiver transmit HD or SD on its own and be seamless to me? Or does it think this set up is for HD and I will also need s-video for SD.

I'm getting ready to get a Sammy DLP and an HD receiver through Time Warner Cable and I'm really confused on how to hook it up. I obviously want the best picture possible but I also don't to always have to switch back and forth between different video selectors.

I was hoping that is works out that component video will recognize HD and SD over the same wire. That way, I can surf channels primarily on that mode. Then if I know I am watching something in HD for sure, then also have a DVI hooked up so can select over to it.

I know if I constantly have to switch, my wife will get pissed because it is so confusing. This way she can watch in HD using the component video and when I am in control of the remote I can turn on the DVI mode.

If anyone can help me understand these hook ups and the ideal way to do it. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
mchuckp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
You can watch everything over the DVI. Many recommend splitting the RF and have one go to the cable box and one going to the TV antenna input for SD (or connecting DVI and svideo and switching between them for HD and SD/analog respectively).

I run DVI alone and while SD isn't great it's quite acceptable to me. You should get a better picture quality from a DVI vs. component connection as you avoid some d/a - a/d conversions with DVI.

Howdoin
Unregistered guest
Thanks all, haven't tried the s-video trick yet (waiting for the HT to arrive before wiring everything again).

In the meantime I have a few "annoyances" with the set, anyone else noticed this:

- green led blinking sporadicaly.
- connected through cable box : change channel only via cable remote but sound only work from TV remote.

Username: Karthik_u1

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Folks,

Last week I ordered the HLP5085 for $3049+free shipping on amazon.com. They were initially supposed to deliver on Oct 25 and now it is delayed. I cannot cancel the order but I am allowed to refuse accepting the order from the shippers. I am thinking of doing that because of the number of complaints against the HLP series (3 lights of death, color wheel noise, etc). There have been couple of complaints against the HLP5085 also. Please see the other Samsung forums for confirmation. Since this thread is exclusively meant for 5085 I am asking for your suggestion. Should I take the chance and accept the TV or refuse it? The price is just unbelievable and I have not seen this price any where.

Thanks.

Strati
Unregistered guest
Karthik,
I don't mean this to sound like an insult, but you are VERY paranoid. There is no such thing as a perfect product.
If you're married, your wife choose you, and you aren't perfect! Should she divorce you?
I'm try to make a point here. If you ask 10 people their opinion, you'll get 10 different answers. It doesn't matter what TV you're talking about. I challenge you to find a perfect anything!
You're looking for a great price, but what about service (other than the one year Samsung)?

Username: Karthik_u1

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 3
Strati, I am not taking your argument as an insult. I know the forum members mean well. I am not asking for a perfect product but when you spend 3K I am looking for certain amount of reliability here. I am not even talking about PQ but a product that lasts. People are reporting about the Samsung DLPs that are failing within hours of arrival. I am basically trying to get an unscientific survey of people's experiences with their purchases. That's all. So, folks, let's get this discussion going, let's hear both good and bad about this product. If the experiences have been great, then we will congratulate Samsung for engineering a good product, else let them know that they have to improve DLPs. After all, the consensus so far seems to be that the HD picture is great and the asthetics is great too. So, why not make a TV that lasts long too!!! Thanks.

howdoin
Unregistered guest
Have had my 5085 for a month now and I am very pleased with it overall - picture in standard is ok and beautifull with HD service.

I still need to work a few things out when playing DVDs (Lot's of green pixels on black background) but I guess it just needs to be set up properly.

Strati
Unregistered guest
Karthik, I can appreciate your skeptisism, however I beleive most people who are satisfied with their TV don't bother posting on a forum. They're too busy enjoying they're TV!
That's why it's great to encourage people to come back to the site and post their "positive" experiences.
Sometimes negative experiences get magnified on forums. I would suggest you go to a few large retailers and question them as to reliability issues. For example, I was able to find out that at a 2001 Audio Video (Large Distributor here in Toronto) sold about 45 Samsungs over the past three months (Not including the 85 series as it just became availabble here) and 4 sets were brought back for different issues. This information is golden. It quantifies and then you decide if you want to take that kind of risk. You realy need to talk to Management and not just a sales guy who works there part time during school etc...

Johnny Wayne
Unregistered guest
So far, AWESOME tv. I must say, High Def on this tv looks fantastic. Haven't made any adjustments out of the box and it looks good to me. Just watch the BoSox take it in the series in High Def... and wow, felt like I was there. I have noticed the Audio/Video mis-syncing, but it could just be due to the TW DVR that I have. Live seems to come out fine. Espn and Fox in 720p looks great. Best decision I've made!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hi all, My set is still up and running after 2 months with no issues. There is no noticeable colorwheel or other noise from my set at 7' with the volume muted. SD is better if you use a S-Video input than if you use DVI or Component Video. I recently got an X-Box with Component video inputs and it looks awesome. Occasionally I will get an audio/video sync issue (lips do not match sounds) on the Direc-tv receiver but if I turn the receiver off then back on it has always been back in sync. For the best DVD viewing get a Samsung HD841 DVD player. It up-converts regular DVD's to near HDTV quality and looks amazing. Much better than my progressive scan unit. I am quite happy with this set and have no regrets thus far. If you are considering an HDTV I would highly recommend this unit. Good luck with whatever you choose and try not to take advice from people that do not own an HDTV but want to educate you on them. They seem to be very negative about the sets but if they bought one I think they would be singing a different tune. No set is perfect. All have their flaws. Just find something you enjoy and go for it.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 135
Jake, Johnny-

How often does the sync issue occur for you? When I had a Sammy 5085 it happened daily. Usually not for long, but enough to drive me crazy. With my JVC I see it once a week when I'm watching "LOST" on NBC in HD, so I know it is a source problem.

Do you think your problem is a source or a Sammy issue? I had a "first batch" 5085, so maybe the newer ones are better. I really loved the set but had a lot of problems with it. I hope they have been worked out because it has the potential to be one of the best DLPs out there.

Howdoin
Unregistered guest
I have had the sync issue only twice in the past 2 weeks, and both times it lasted for less than 10 sec .

I still find the blacks from DVDs to have a "greenish" tint and cannot seem to find out why - I am using a Samsung HT-DS1000 with 720p output.
Don't know if anyone else has this DVD player but I'd love to hear some feedback as I find the sound to be a little week and picture ranging from ok to cristal clear depending on the DVD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us