Sammy HLN617W at Costco for $3699

Anonymous

Need advice. I read most of the threads on this site regarding this monitor and those following. Need to know if I am buying in to antiquity if I pull the trigger on this seemingly great buy?
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Username: Jake41

Abbotsford, B.C. Canada

Post Number: 1
To Anonymous
You would be buying at least one generation behind, if not two in most cases (depending on screen size). The HLN series has the HD2 chip while the newer HLP 63 series has the HD3 chips. The newest HLP 85 series (as well as the yet to be released 74/77 series) will all have the latest TI chip, the HD2+. From everything I've read the difference is quite amazing between the chip levels. I would suggest taking a look at the new Kirk models (the 85's) if you can and then see if you can live with the difference in quality. While the price seems good (I assume it's in Canadian dollars), I personally would wait for the newer models to be displayed before making the decision. Some people even prefer the sharpness of the HD2 over the HD3 (which seems to have a slightly softer image)so if the 85 won't fit into your space or budget you may indeed be happy with the HLN series. The only way to tell for sure is to compare the models though.
Some basic specs:

HD2 Contrast 1000:1, Gen 2 Light Engine, .55" chip, 6 color wheel
HD3 Contrast 1500:1, Gen 3 Light Engine, .55" chip, 7 color wheel
HD2+ Contrast 2500:1, Gen 4 Light Engine, .80" chip, 7 color wheel, plus smaller mirror dimple (more reflective surface) and Blackplus 2

in addition, in the older HLN models you could not hook up various modes to the same input - IE you couldn't hook up both the High Def and composite video hookups to the same source (eg - video 1). For example, some video games require that you hook up composite video to access the menu but have a higher video connection to play the game - you would need to switch the source on the HLN while with the HLP set it would come into the same source (ie video 1). Not a big deal if you don't need that capability though.
As in anything, do you wait for the better stuff to come, which is always just around the corner or do you take the plunge and be happy with what you get? Each person has their own satisfaction/regret level. For me, I'm ever the optimist and will wait for the 74/77 series to come out, hopefully before Christmas - I've read to many opinions to be happy with the HLN series. But as I said, everyone has their own subjective opinions.
I hope this helps, good luck with your decision.

John Davis
Unregistered guest
I bought the Samsung HL-P5085W at Magnolia Audio and Video in Woodland Hills, CA from a salesman named Alvin. Good guy. The picture on this TV is incredible. My wife told me that reality looks plain compared to the HD pictures! Digital satellite (non-HD) pictures can be quite clear. I researched HD TVs for months & months (at work I am known as a "research freak."). Anyway, Samsung DLPs are better than the LCDs, IMHO for a variety of reasons, such as reliability, quality of picture, good for video games, PC, etc. The 5085W comes all together (no assembly) with its own stand. However, there is an additional stand one can buy which integrates with the original stand, which provides space for various components (i.e., DVD, etc.). I think the picture rivals that of much more expensive plasmas.

Anonymous

Stephen,

No it's not in Canadian Dollars, I'm in Texas, what am I missing, and thank you for your input!

KDog
Unregistered guest
I've seen the same price at the Costco in Illinois.

Username: Jake41

Abbotsford, B.C. Canada

Post Number: 3
Sorry, my mistake. I saw a Samsung DLP HLN series monitor in Costco up in Canada for around $3600. I wasn't really paying attention and see now that the one I saw was a 467 (46") while you were referring to a 617 (61"). Sorry if it caused any confusion, your price may indeed be a good price.

Anonymous

Stephan,

Thanks for all your detailed response! You have been very helpful! I think your point about waiting a bit is worthwhile since this technology is so new, and improving rapidly! I will follow this course.

Lee
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us