HDTV RECEPTION

Username: Wfinn23

NORWOOD, MA USA

Post Number: 1
Recently purchased a Sony HDTV 34 in. wide screen direct view. Get my HDTV programming through a local cable provider with a Motorola digital HDTV receiver.

While watching the Olympics on NBC-HDTV the picture is beautiful when the athletes are standing still, but when they start moving quickly the picture becomes distorted. Do not see this problem on other HDTV or regulr channels.

Any idea what may cause this? Signal Problem, TV problem?

Unregistered guest
Went shopping today to look at HDTV. The LCD and LDP projection seem to have the BLURR on fast moving objects. (THAT WAS ALL I LOOKED AT) My old TV looks fine. Think I'll wait for more bugs to get out. All the Salesmen from Different stores have different reasons for this problem. The Google search has found a lot on this topic (HDTV BLURRED).

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"While watching the Olympics on NBC-HDTV the picture is beautiful when the athletes are standing still, but when they start moving quickly the picture becomes distorted. Do not see this problem on other HDTV or regulr channels. "

The signal was highly compressed for the olympics as well as multicasted depending on your locale. Your cable provider may be the culprit but if they are getting a compressed signal from the local network station they cannot make it better.

The reason it looks worse when there is motion is because the compression causes you to lose data between frames. When athletes are in motion you are missing some of the data.

In other words, GIGO.

Anonymous

It is a pixelation problem. This problem is worse on some tv than the other. The hd industry has not completely solved this problem yet. May be someday in the future, a display chip is fast enough to detect the problem and correct it before displaying on the screen.

Anonymous

In theory, 720P broadcast is better than 1080i for fast moving objects like sports. NBC Olympics HD was broadcasted in 1080i. For those with current DLP, LCD, etc., before saying "well, mine is a 720P tv" need to know that is a display resolution, not the broadcast resolution, your tuner was receiving 1080i signal.
May be because it was in HD, one can tell the slightest flaws in focusing and NBC had a lot of problem focusing fast moving objects during the game.

Username: Wfinn23

NORWOOD, MA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response. If this is a HDTV programming or broadcast issue wouldn't the problem be universal? Wouldn't everyone be experiencing this problem?
Since my original post I spoke to someone in my town who has the same cable provider and same TV and he doesn't have the problem. I've read other posts about the NBC-HD Olympic broadcast and some people have a great picture while others are experiencing the motion blur.
So confused!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
I am interested in the JVC D-ILA Lcos system, but have several general questions that may relate to the choice of system and the Satellite and Over the Air broadcasts..

1 I have Direct TV and cable. How good do the satellite "local station" broadcasts and analog cable signals appear on JVC D-ILA? Other brand complaints are "soft," "fuzzy," "purple or green," plus artifacts due to rescaling to 720p.

2 Changing from standard DTV to HD-DTV is the dish replaced on the same mounting arm, thereby eliminating the need to re-aim the dish?

3 What additional equipment is needed over and above the DTV decoder "box" to receive their HDTV programming?

4 Does the DTV connection go to HDMI, and if so does that preclude the best connection for a DVD player if using progressive scan for the player?

5 How good are the Over-The-Air NTSC pictures?

6 Has anyone used an in-the-attic antenna about 20 miles from the transmitter?

Any and all information will be sincerely appreciated
Malcolm

Mike Challenge
Unregistered guest
I've got a general question and wasn't sure which thread to post it on. It's this. Is there an HD receiver technology (plasma, DLP, LCoS, CRT,LCD) currently on the market that displays SD AS GOOD OR BETTER as I currently receive on digital cable while also providing top quality HD (cable, satellite, other) reception?
The heart of the question goes to this. If 80-90% of what is transmitted now (and for the forseeable future) is SD, why spend thousands of dollars for new technology that will diminish the quality of 90% (or whatever) of what you watch. I covet the HD image quality I see at places like BB & CC on plasmas, LCDs and DLPs. But if in order to get that I have to spend big bucks AND sacrifice SD resolution quality (most of what is out there and I watch), why do that? Being and early innovator may be neat but......Thoughts? Mike

toxicchill
Unregistered guest
Mike,
Just my opinion. I have to agree, watching SD via cable or satellite might not be the biggest thrill, but after watching football on HD, you just can't turn back. On top of that, I own a Panny HD plasma, and watching DVD's are awesome!.. Directv have plans to add more HD channel to their line-up, so maybe it won't be so bad...

Anonymous

Purchasing HDTV make sense if you have to replace or add a tv. However, if you are a gadget guy like me who wants bleeding edge of technology available, you would be very happy to shell out $$ just to own one.
Once you see each snowflick coming down during a football game, each crack on the painting in Smart Travel or a tiny hair sample in CSI, you will ditch your SDTV.
SD programs look bad in HDTV only because they look bad by comparision not because HDTV has any problems displaying SD.

Username: Hifibob14

Kingston, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
I was a happy camper when I had direct TV with their HD Programming then no Direct.One good thing though was my RCA DTC100 HD Receiver continued to decode Digital HD Signal for the local stations from Watertown NY ABC,FOX and CBS.To acheive this I mounted a 40 year old UHF Antenna a freind was throwing out added a booster mounted it in my attic in garage pointed to Watertown 35 miles as the crow flies from Kingston Ont and Im in business cant get NBC as its from Syracuse.This will tide me over till Direct is available to me again or I invest in Bell Expressview Equipment expensive plus the extra programming costs.

Anonymous

i have a 65in. Sony widescreen, using Samsung T-451 HDTV receiver. I notice the same problems also, mostly on PBS channel (28). On scenes with fast motion (flames moving, birds flying, or trains moving), the images are very "pixelated" , but when there is little motion, it is clear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us