2nd Gen. Samsung DLP better than 3rd?

Username: Kingofpop

Post Number: 1
I have a question for the HDTV elite, particularly those familiar with Samsung's DLP sets. I recently decided to make the switch HD from SD. I upgraded to DirectTV HD and bought a second generation 61" Samsung HDTV model# HLN617W. Watching Discovery HD and HDnet on this new set looked quite good, impressive really. Shortly after I purchased that set I learned that the 3rd generations DLP's were available. So today in fact I bought the newer 61" Samsung HDTV model# HLP6163W thinking it should look better based on what I've read about it and the new chip it comes with (better contrast, brightness, color, detail...etc.)

Boy was I wrong. This newer set actually looks worse!!! I have both sets sitting in my living room side by side comparing them as I write this, and the 2nd generation looks better.

Now I'm convinced I'm going to return the newer one and stick with my 2nd generation model unless someone has a possible explanation for this. There is nothing wrong with the new one, it looks nice, just does not have the punch and definition of the older one. Anyone have any answers? I've heard in some forums that this newer chip is actually not as good?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us