Video input questions

Username: Doclaw64

Post Number: 3
Hi, I just got the new Toshiba 52HM84. It says there are inputs for video 1 & 2 for s-video and component. Does that mean I can only connect 2 video inputs into the TV? There is a third vidoe input on the side as well. What I have is a cable hd box, dvd, vcr, and PS2. If the above is true then this is what I am planning on doing.

HD cable in video 1 [component]
DVD in video 2 [component]
out from tv to reciever [rca]
VCR in Reciever [rca]
PS2 in reciever [rca]
Reciever in video 3 [s video if reciever has it or rca]

Does this sound like a good plan or should I do something else?

TIA

mmm
Unregistered guest
I'd need to know the model of your receiver to give you the best advice, but I'll do my best without. Check the back of your receiver, and if it has lots of inputs, that would be the best way to hook everything up. Most receivers have video switching, which means you can leave the input button on your TV-remote alone and use the receive to switch in between your DVD player and cable box. If you have all the following options as a possiblity, I would do it this way:

1. HD Cable Component Out - Receiver Component Video 1 In
2. DVD Component Out - Receiver Component Video 2 In
3. VCR Video Out - Receiver Composite Video 1 In
4. Receiver Component Video Out - TV Component Video 1 In

I'm not sure what connections Playstations have, but I'm assuming they have an S-video at the very least, so I would:

-Playstation S-Video Out - Receiver S-Video (1 or 2) In

If your receiver will handle all these connections, the only audio connection I would make would be:

1. HD Cable coaxial or infrared Out - Receiver coaxial or infrared In
2. DVD coaxial or infrared Our - Receiver coaxial or infrared In (whichever is free)
3. VCR Audio Out - Receiver Audio In (use corresponding number of Composite Video In)
4. Playstation Audio Out (either composite, coaxial or infrared) - Receiver Audio In (again, corresponding with video connection)

If your receiver can't do any of this, make all the same connections, except to your TV. I personally don't use the speakers on my TV, because in conjunction with my receiver, it makes an echo-y noise. Hope that helps!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us