VCR Audio out - Stereo vs. Mono?

Username: Mjsakers

Post Number: 1
Set-up: Satellite to VCR (coax), VCR to TV (coax), and separate RCA audio out from VCR to wireless headphones.
Problem: If I play a VHS tape, I get stereo in the headphones, but when monitoring satellite feed through VCR in VCR mode, I get mono. If the VCR is in TV mode (or turned off altogether), the stereo signal from the satellite is carried through to the TV. But when using the VCR as a tuner, the stereo is somehow getting lost. Remember, I AM getting stereo from the VHS tapes through the same RCA output jacks.

What's the deal?

Anonymous

Assuming all your connections are good and solid, it can only mean 1 thing. The audio receiver in you VCR is bad. It can pass on the signal fine (when the VCR is off) but when it is powered on, the receiver fails to process stereo signal. When playing tape, the VCR does not require the audio receiver. The audio signal comes thru the recording (pick-up) head.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 135
To get stereo audio from the satellite you have to use RCA jacks not a coax cable. This will also give a better picture when recording. The VCR to the TV should be RCA jacks too, the satellite to the TV should be an s-video cable or RCA jacks if possibile. If connected with RCA jacks you will get alot better picture and stereo audio. Satellites do not use MTS stereo, which isn't true stereo anyway, like broadcast and cable channels do. If hooked with RCA jacks satellites supply true digital stereo audio.

Anonymous

Although it is true to get good stereo sound, one should use the L/R RCA jack but it shouldn't be the only way. Michael's set up is very common for those to want the VCR in on the series but may not want it on unless to record or play. He is also doing the right thing of using the RCA jacks for the headset.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
You can't get stereo audio from a satellite without using RCA jacks. The coax doesn't carry a stereo signal.

Post Number: 2
Satellite installers will always use coax to run from the satellite dish to the Satellite receiver. You mean to tell me that if you have satellite, you can't have stereo audio?

Post Number: 3
Nevermind, I see now. Using coax from the dish to the receiver is OK. It's the choice of cables at the OUTPUT of the receiver that matters. Receiver has a coax output that is only mono and an RCA output that provides stereo audio. (as stated in the manual). In my case, the TV in question is a #2 TV of a Dish Network system (single dual-tuner receiver), and only coax is run from the receiver to this #2 TV (in a different room). So unless I run 100 ft. of RCA through the house, I'm stuck with mono on this #2 TV. Thanks.

Anonymous

2 questions. If the RF modulation thru the coax only carries mono, how did the first writer get stereo to the TV when the VCR is off? And also, would it combine the L&R or carry only the R channel sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
He wasn't getting stereo. Both speakers would work, but if you look at the display it would not say stereo. It combines left and right. The only stereo the FCC will allow without using seperate left and right is MTS, which isn't true stereo anyway. True stereo uses 2 carriers. MTS uses one carrier and an encoded signal which is decoded on the receiving end. I haven't used every satellite out there so I can't say for sure that there are no satellite receivers that don't send an MTS signal through the coax out, but I haven't seen one that does.

Post Number: 4
That's correct. I misstated earlier when I claimed I was getting stereo to the TV. That was actually BEFORE I had installed the satellite dish and was running only broadcast television.

But, I WAS having that problem BEFORE when I was only receiving broadcast TV from an aerial ant. (stereo only made it to the TV if VCR was off or in TV mode). Back THEN, it must have been for a different reason (like the VCR audio receiver being bad as suggested before.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
VCRs don't output the MTS signal either. They will pass the signal through when the power is off or the TV is selected, but not when using the VCRs tuner. They won't play in stereo without the RCA jacks either. There is nothing wrong with the VCR, that's the way they are made. I've been working on VCRs for 14 years now.

Post Number: 5
OK, so a VCR's tuner is just like a satellite receiver - the coax output will only give you mono and the RCA outs give you stereo. That explains everything. Thanks for the clarification.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Depending on how badly you want stereo and what you are willing to pay to get it, there is a solution. They make wireless video senders, possibly there is wireless audio senders too I don't know, that will send the signal from room to room. I tried one once but didn't like the video quality, so I ran wires instead. They would probably send a better audio signal though since audio is far less complex than video. The senders cost around $80 up to $300 though. If they do make audio only ones they might be considerably cheaper than the video senders.

Unregistered guest
Hey, I was wondering, is there any device that could give me stereo sound from a mono tv? I noticed when i plugged my gamecube into a stereo tv that i was missing half the sound! I tjought all games could do mono but some can't. Any help? Please e-mail any answers to jfinney_666@hotmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Get a Y cable and you will at least get both left and right audio. It won't be stereo, but you won't be missing half the audio.

Username: Fciobanu

London, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
Could you please tell me what happens if I use a Y adapter to combine the stereo signal from my DVD player to a mono plug of my old TV? Is it possible to burn out the DVD?
Many thanks in advance,

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
It won't hurt anything, that's the only way to get the full audio, if only using 1 side you'll miss a significant part of the audio.

Unregistered guest
can you tell me i have brought a lcd tv and i can not get it into stereo it says its only in mono is it a problem with the lcd set or is it my dvd signal not correct
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us