HDTV aspect ratio

Username: Amateur_hour

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Hi everyone

Just got a new HDTV and got hooked up to all my HD channels. Although many of the channnels are awesome( watched the NFL on ESPN HD last night and WOW !!) I find that many of the channels are still in 4:3 even though they are HD channels. Is this normal? I was under the impression that all HD channels were in 16:9.

It is very annoying to have to stretch these channels like digital and analog channels.

Or do I have something set up wrong with my TV?

Thanks

Anonymous

Only true HD content is in 16:9. For example, if you are watching CBS most of the programs during the day will not be HD, so it will be in a 4:3 letterboxed picture. When the primetime shows are broadcast, i.e. CSI, Cold Case, etc., you will see a picture with 16:9 aspect ratio.

Anonymous

There are not that many true 24 hour HD channels. Depend on the area you are at. Your PBS HD may be the only on besides Voom's HD channels. If you are talking about local networks, there are handful of HD programs. So when the HD program is showing, you can see it in 16x9. Otherwise, non-hd programs including most of the commercials are shown in 4x3. Even channels like HBO-HD shows older programs in non-hd.
Just keep in mind that everything has to be in hd for you to see it in HD (16x9 or higher). That is, the program material, the broadcast, the receiver and the TV. Anyone of these is not in HD, you don't see HD.

Crissg
Unregistered guest
SD1: A suggestion, don't stretch the picture, zoom in the picture. Not great for news channels with the headlines running at the bottom of the screen, but at least the proportions are correct.

Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 7
Hello, SD1
I could have written your post myself. I have noticed the same things. But I wonder if anyone else has noticed or has gotten a headache when watching their new dish. I don't know if its from the swithcing back from HD to regular or what. Also has anyone found the reception or picture quality on the non HD channels to be worse than before the installation of the HD receiver. I hope I din't jump this post but I think my question might be relevant or tie in. Thanks kevin

Silver Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 118
Maybe you're sitting too close for too long and your eyes are simply getting fatigued? imo, too much of anything might give you a headache. a tylenol or aleve might help.

LG
Unregistered guest
ESPN HD is suppose to be 720P however when I watch it on my Toshiba 52hm84 it plays in 4:3 aspect. Is this normal? I have comcast HD service if that helps.

Criss
Unregistered guest
LG: Are you sure you are watching the HD broadcast. Do you have the same problem with other HD channels? I have Cox HD. I Have to go to the 700 series of channels to get the HD broadcast, CBS is 702, NBC 704, ect.

Anonymous

LG, ESPN does not always show HD material. Sometime it is in SD and in 3x4. It is native 1080i. Funny that since ESPN is owned by Disney which also owns ABC and ABC HD is in 720P.

Anonymous

I have similar issues as those mentioned above. I got my HD converter box installed yesterday, and all of the "HD" stations are in 4:3 aspect ratio and my normal brodcast stations are less clear than they were with my original digital cable (non-HD) box. Is it true that even the "HD" stations do not always broadcast in HD? How do you know if a show is being broadcast in HD?

Anonymous

I don't know what you meant by "all of the HD stations are in 4:3 aspect ratio". You are correct about "even the HD stations do not always broadcast in HD. Except for may be HDNet and your local PBS-HD (and some of the Voom channels), other stations don't always show HD material (including stations like HBO-HD and SHO-HD). Bravo-HD and TDC-HD, etc. show a lot of HD material but their commercials are not.

Make sure your TV is showing at 16:9 as normal (not stretched), when HD material comes on, you will see at least a 16:9 picture.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"It is native 1080i. Funny that since ESPN is owned by Disney which also owns ABC and ABC HD is in 720P. "

ESPN is not broadcast in 1080i, it is 720p just like ABC and FOX.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
My Hitachi 51S500 HDTV is not giving me the full picture when on a HD channel. My cable provider is brighthouse, using a pace HD box. The HD channel will cut off the top and bottom of my picture. Tv is set to 16:9 std ratio. Changing ratio has no effect on it at all. I am using component wires, could this be because I don't have a DVI cable in use?

fx
Unregistered guest
It is most likely an internal service manu adjustment applicable to an HD input only. I suggest you not medle with these adjustments and either have a tech over for a service call or better yet have an ISF technician come over and do a professional calibration.

xvxvxvx

Username: Rdwaite

Post Number: 1
We have a Sony Wega 42 inch HDTV. It crops HD programs top and bottom. Would this because there is a setting to adjust the presentation from 4:3 to 16:9? If so where is it?

Username: Rdwaite

Post Number: 2
Please explain terms "manu" and ISF in fx's submission of August 8. Thanks.

fx
Unregistered guest
manu = menu misspelled
ISF = Imaging Science Foundation

ISF certification is the best guideline to use when contracting someone to calibrate your displays.

Go here: http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm to find a qualified/trained tech or dealer in your area.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I had the same problems and found what works in this setup - a switch inside of Time Warners Setup.

I use Time-Warner and recently bought a Panasonic 42 plasma.

After three days of excruciating pain in trying to get the "right" aspect on an HD channel vs a non-HD channel - working with all of the TV controls - I found that Time Warner has a "switch" buried deep in "other" settings under "Preferences". The setting is first, what kind of set do you have, 4:3 or 16:9, and if you have 16:9, what option do you want non HD channels to be in: 4:3, stretch, or zoom?

I picked stretch - with the result of different quality on different channels.

However, non-HD programming over an HD channel is always 4:3 under this setup. (Even if a 16:9 show switches to a commercial > most commercials are non HD and will be 4:3, with black side borders on the HD channels.

So, when I want to see CBS Morning News, which is not HD, I have two choices: regular, non HD channel 3 with 4:3 stretched to 16:9, at 42 inches and not as sharp as channel 1423, the non-HD signal on the CBS HD channel.

Or... on channel 1423, the HD CBS channel, in 4:3, with black side bands, at 32 inches diagonally, but sharper than channel 3, regular non-HD CBS channel 3 (in our area).

BTW, this is using a composite GrBlRe connection.

Completely different results with coaxial hookup - but that is another story and probably not very useful
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us