DVI vs HDMI?

Bronze Member
Username: Okkin

AZ

Post Number: 11
Ok guys I am a noobie as was wondering with the purchase of a compatible tv using either formats which is better? there is also COmponent? HELP.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
DVI and HDMI transfer video data in an identical manner, in a digital format. The only difference is that HDMI also transfers audio through the same cable. Component cables transfer data in an analog format. Below is the heirachy in order of quality best to worst:

1. DVI or HDMI
2. Component
3. S-Video
4. Composite (thru RCA connections)

Bronze Member
Username: Cluelesspa

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 11
I would put HDMI as first as it only needs ONE cable for both Digital video AND Digital audio

DVI will be Dig Video and Analog Audio

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Ahh Grashopper, you must learn to walk before you run.

You wrote; "DVI will be Dig Video and Analog Audio"

Not if you use a coax or toslink optical cable for your digital audio signal. You should not make a decision on any display device based on it having an HDMI vs a DVI connection.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 12
ahh but wiseone you must then make sure that your DVI set receives OPTICAL audio ... plus it is much cleaner with one SMALL cable/connector instead of one med DVI cable and one small optical cable

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"ahh but wiseone you must then make sure that your DVI set receives OPTICAL audio ... "

Why do you care if your TV has an optical input if you are gonna use the TV stereo speakers? No answer for that one huh? If you are using an expensive HDTV, an expensive DVD with a DVI output you are wasting your time and money if you do not have a Surround receiver with an optical input.

" plus it is much cleaner with one SMALL cable/connector instead of one med DVI cable and one small optical cable"

On this point we are in total agreement. Keep in mind that only a small percentage of TV's on the market today have an HDMI compared to a DVI input plus no receiver under $10,000 has an HDMI output. Also only a very dew DVD players have a DVI output so the whole subject is moot to the vast majority of the population.

DJ
Unregistered guest
as one so wise in the ways of a/v, i agree with xvxvxvx. why run a premium optical cable into 2" cardboard speakers in your TV set?

i run DVI for video to the tv, rca for audio to the tv. the optical out goes into the a/v receiver for 5.1 decoding, etc. i don't run my video through the a/v receiver as i'm not bill gates and don't have 5000 sources.

Anonymous

Does anyone know how much a HDMI cable cost?

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 16
Quote:
"as one so wise in the ways of a/v, i agree with xvxvxvx. why run a premium optical cable into 2" cardboard speakers in your TV set?

i run DVI for video to the tv, rca for audio to the tv. the optical out goes into the a/v receiver for 5.1 decoding, etc. i don't run my video through the a/v receiver as i'm not bill gates and don't have 5000 sources."

I run both to the TV and Stereo because sometimes I dont want to turn on my stereo system to just watch TV quickly in the morning or if I have the girlfriend over and its easier for her to just turn on the set and watch and not deal with the stereo hookup ect.

steve williams
Unregistered guest
HHHHEEELLLPPPPP! I'm new to this HDTV thing. Just purchased a Hitachi Monitor w/ HDMI input. BUT, the Directv HD converter box is DVI. Now What?!??!? The sales person showed me a monster cable converter/adapter which allows a DVI to be plugged into the HDMI via an adapter. Is this a good idea or will I lose quality?

I would greatly appreciate some expert advice.

Omaha
Unregistered guest
You will not lose any quality with a DVI to HDMI converter. My only concern is that the sale guy is trying to sell you the overpriced Monster cable stuff. I bought my adapter cable off Ebay for $19 and I have had no problems.

Bronze Member
Username: Okkin

AZ

Post Number: 20
Hey with you buy the adaptor that converts the DVI to HDMI. Does the Digital Sound also transfer with it without the use of the Optical cable as well?

If it does then I am set.

But then what happens if I want to use my surround sound receiver. Then I would run the Optical cable to my receiver and the DVI-HDMI adaptor straight to the TV from my HD Box.

Right?

Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 9
Okkin,

You asked "But then what happens if I want to use my surround sound receiver. Then I would run the Optical cable to my receiver and the DVI-HDMI adaptor straight to the TV from my HD Box."

That's the exact way I have mine setup. DVI to HDMI to the TV, Optical cable to the receiver.

Also, The DVI to HDMI cable does not carry any audio so you will need to run an audio connection no matter what you do.

buonforte
Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba 52hm84 DLP HDTV and a Samsung SIR-T451 HDTV receiver. The receiver has a DVI output and the TV has a HDMI input. I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect them and the picture was much worse than using component video. The connection via component was much brighter, and more colorful while the connection via the DVI to HDMI cable produced a much, darker picture. It did not look nowhere near as good as the component connection.

Alan

Username: J_c_steel

Post Number: 5
buonforte -- I have the same Toshiba and I'm getting HD through Comcast this weekend. I will be using a DVI to HDMI cable and audio cables to hook it up, and I'll tell you the kind of picture I get. If my picture is great, then it's probably a compatibility problem between the Samsung receiver and the DLP. I'll consider using component cables if the DVI to HDMI doesn't work out well.

Username: Denis54

Is there any difference between a DVI input and a DVI-HDTV input?

Unregistered guest
Dennis - No difference. The DVI input is capable of passing any digital signal including an HDTV signal.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLP-5063W DLP TV that has both DVI and HDMI inputs. I'm currently using a cable-company-issued HDTV box that is hooked by component cables to my TV. I was curious if I should cough up the money for a DVI cable when I'm using a Scientific Atlanta HDTV box (not the best). Am I better off buying my own box too?

Anonymous

To John Eustice -- I'd be interested to know how the picture looks on your set using the HDMI to DVI cable. Anyway, it's a great set. You're going to love it.

Alan

Username: J_c_steel

Post Number: 6
Alan -- I just got it hooked up yesterday.

I have a Toshiba 52HM84 and I connected a Comcast HiDef box to it via a DVI to HDMI cable and audio cables. The High Definition picture looks absolutely perfect. I was watching NFL PrimeTime in HiDef and I could see Chris Berman's wedding band and differentiate between the gold and silver in the ring. Unbelievable.

I also have a Panasonic progressive scan DVD hooked up via component video (Y Pb Pr) cables and audio cables into the ColorStream input on the 52HM84. The picture isn't quite HiDef but it looks and sounds spectacular.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my choices of TV and connections. Everything works swimmingly.

Later on, I believe I'll get a Harmon/Kardon receiver and surround sound, but I think I'm perfectly content for now.

PaulNJ
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsu 62525 and tried to connect my Samsung Directv HD receiver via a DVI to HDMI cable, and could not get my tv to recognize the input. Any ideas?

JoeD
Unregistered guest
Can anyone respond to PaulNJ's question? I have the 725 and am considering purchasing the Samsung Directv HD receiver...Thanks in advance

jogdog
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung 43inch dlp tv. I purchased the 25 dollar cables from Comcast along with the HD box. To begin with, I used analog connections (yellow) for connecting the HD receiver with the Television. Y'day I went to Circuit city and the sales guy sold me the 100$ DVI cable. After connecting using the DMI cable, I realized what I was missing for the last 2 months. The picture quality is just amazing.... What a difference, a cable can make. Also, I spent 100 bucks for the DVI cable. Is that worth it ? Or should I buy the monster cable (39bucks) to connect the Y Pb Pr ports.

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
PaulNJ
I have the 62525 hooked to a Denon 1910 DVI-HDMI converter. It works great. Do you have the TV-DVD connection programmed through the "MonLink" on the Device selector? If you check the manual, MonLink is the only device for the HDMI port.
Secondary to this: If anyone can answer, I have a problem with the audio hookups - Denon 1910 to WD-62525. Since My DVI-HDMI hook up has digital audio for the DVD hooked to the DVD's Digital link, Digital Cable is via Cable card and my TV connection to the surround system is analog cable!!! I would like to use a digital output source from the TV, but the (orange) component audio output cable (62525), seems to be an input only. Is this the case? The audio orange cable is input to the TV?, not output from it?
I would sure like surround from the cable card to be digital instead of analog, but my old JVC does not have component cable jacks. It does have square and orange digital input jacks.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 76
I personally can not see a difference between the DVI and the component out on my cable box. I use component cable from my Cable box which frees up the HDMI input for use with my DVD player w/HDMI out. It wouldn't hurt to try out both ways if your looking to save some $$$. I think Monster Cables are way over priced and you can get just as good of results using slightly cheaper brands like Acoustic Research or Pheonix Gold. You could even leave it be and enjoy the excellent picture.

Stomper
Unregistered guest
Just curious is there a transmission distance limitation on DVI vs. HDMI? I had a salesperson tell me that DVI run have to be very short <10 feet and HDMI can be up to 100 feet, help?

mkf
Unregistered guest
Although you can cross-connect DVI with HDMI, HDMI is a much better spec and true HDMI has a better interface in the components. As a result, HDMI cables can be longer. However, typically you want to have better quality cables for longer runs.

mkf
Unregistered guest
For more info on HDMI look on HDMI.org

DVIPeterHDMI
Unregistered guest
Well I did notice one annoying issue that I can't seem to get around within this whole HDMI vs DVI area. When I connect my SIM2 projector to my Samsung DVD player (via HDMI) there's some security stuff that comes up that says no compatible/authorized HDMI device found and your display device is not abide by HDMI security protocols. I figured that maybe that since the HDMI standard allows easy perfect reproductions off of source material, there may be some built in security as well. I have no issue with converting the HDMI signal to DVI (one cable) and plugging that into the SIM2 projector.

t-stensl
Unregistered guest
Can anyone help me. I have a DishNetwork HD receiver and a Component HD TV will i loose any picture quality versus the DVI Connection from reciver to a tv that has DVI.

Unregistered guest
Jim N asked this on October 1, and I don't think it was answered and now i have the same issue...
I now have the Samsung HLP-5085W, picture looks great with Pioneer HD cable box hooked via analog jacks. I will use the HDMI to hook up the DVD player (also newest Samsung system), I was wondering, like Jim, if there would be a signal boost going with the DVI from the cable box to the TV instead of the analog jacks?

Next question, hooking up the computer. I was wondering if the s video is better/worse than the 15 pin cable?

Thanks!

I have a Samsung HLP-5063W DLP TV that has both DVI and HDMI inputs. I'm currently using a cable-company-issued HDTV box that is hooked by component cables to my TV. I was curious if I should cough up the money for a DVI cable when I'm using a Scientific Atlanta HDTV box (not the best). Am I better off buying my own box too?

Strati
Unregistered guest
Mike, As for your question about cables: Analog vs DVI; Theoretically, DVI is your best option.
My suggestion is to buy the DVI cables, try it out and you decide for yourself if the PQ difference is worth the cost of the DVI cables. If you can't justify the cost, just return the cables. Seeing the difference for yourself with your specific equipment is way better than a whole bunch of peoples opinions / theories.

Username: Rex_g

Post Number: 7
I have some questions on HDMI. First I saw this posted somewhere regarding HDMI connection and Samsung. Is the following statement true?

"I purchased a Samsung HLP-6163W television, a Samsung SIR-TS360 HD satellite receiver, and a HD Samsung DVD player. I was excited because of the
DVI output connections on both the satellite receiver and the DVD player and the DVI and HDMI input connections on the TV. I purchased a DVI to HDMI cable made by Monster to connect the satellite receiver to the TV, however, I only get a picture and no sound. Analog connections also provide no sound when using the HDMI connection. I called Samsung tech support for assistance and they told me that the HDMI would not work with the satellite and that is the way it was designed. Why would a company manufacture products that don't work with each other? I'm taking the piece of junk back!"

Post Number: 8
I have DirecTV and thinking about the JVC HD-52Z575.
I thought it best to ask my question on a new post. The operational manual for the JVC HD-52Z575 TV states that the HDMI connection only supports 480p picture signal. Would that mean if I want to view 1080i or 720p HDTV signals from my satellite I would also have to use a component input as well.

Post Number: 9
One final HDMI question for today.
Again thinging about the JVC HD-52Z575.
If my DVD has an DVI out and I connect it to the TVs HDMI input. Would all various DVDs play trough that one connection (wide, 4:3, letter box, 16:9 and etc)
Thanks Rex

PGowan
Unregistered guest
I have the Mits 62825 and tried today to connect the DVI/HDMI cable out of my comcast box when nothing happened , Called and they told me the box needed a firmware upgrade from motorola to use the DVI port on the box DCT6200/2004 comcast said he didnt know when this would happen does anybody have any imfo on this

Anonymous

anyone else notice the time delay on dlps between the audio and video? it isn't much but i can see it. i have the toshiba 52hm84?

Unregistered guest
Hi everybody, i had dvi output on my computer and i and want to plug into my toshiba 62hm84, u guys suggest me using dvi to hdmi or dvi to component RGB, which choice you think is better,please help me!and can you also explain why?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 200
For the best results with your PC you will need a videocard that outputs DVI-D. Most video cards use DVI-I. Nvidia makes a few videocards with DVI-D. ATI uses DVI-I on most their stuff. After you get a DVI-D card, just run a DVI to HDMI cable. You might also need to download a program called "Powerstrip". It allows you to adjust the resolution more precisely to fit your TV.

ATI makes a good Component adapter, but the results will not be as good.

david wang
Unregistered guest
Mr,Lynch thanks for your suggestion,is there a big different between DVI-I and DVI-D card, so u suggerst me use dvi to hdmi,instead of dvi to component right?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 203
I have a ATI Radeon 9600xt that did not work with my TV. I ended up just adding a 2nd card video card with DVI-D. Here is what I got.
http://www.ajump.com/ajump/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2775&pf%5Fid=1240151&sku=99%2D9 9%2D99%2D99%2D99%2D1240151

DVI to Component adapter are not really much cheaper, and sometimes you will be limited to 720x480 resolution. Here is one of the better adapters I've seen. http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=atisettings

DJ
Unregistered guest
Having just hooked up an HDMI 400 monster cable between my Comcast HD box and Samsung LT P326W, when I tune in to my local channels or non-hd cable channels I get "No Signal" on my screen. (This is after I change the "Input" configuration from "Component 1" to "HDMI") Am I doing something wrong or does the HDMI only recognize HD signals and blocks out the others?
Leaving the DVI connection that Comcast hooked up allows me to switch back to access all of the channels.

I actually think the DVI gives a clearer HD picture then when I switch over to the HDMI HD picture.

Username: Mrbubba

Beavercreek, Ohio

Post Number: 1
I have a JVCHD61Z585 currently hooked up to both a Samsung TS360 Directv Receiver and a Cable Company supplied Pioneer HD box. The TV has one HDMI input so I had to use a DVI to HDMI adapter from the Directv Box as well as the Cable box. The Samsung box would not work with the DVI/HDMI connection but the Cable box would. A perfect picture with amazing clarity. I'm currently testing both the Directv and the Cable HD against each other and the Cable HD channels are brighter and better over all (even with component).

I've been with Directv for some time but will most likely convert to just cable.
My only issue is the JVCHD-61Z585 only has one digital input, so I will have to choose in the future between my DVD player and the cable box, unless I buy a 300.00 switch box.

Also my Cable company has local in HD as well as a few extra HD channels right now.

I plan on getting a Samsung DVD-HD841 with DVI and Optical Audio outputs.

bhend4
Unregistered guest
Is there an advantage / disadvantage to using the component ins and outs from my surround sound receiver, rather than going direct to the TV? Im looking at a Denon 3805, dont have the tv yet but thinking about the D-ILA's. Still a bit confused about the whole hookup thing.

Beavercreek, Ohio

Post Number: 2
I absolutely love my D-ILA set. Cristal clear with no reflection because of the matt finish screen (JVC HD-61Z585). This set is above a DLP and somewhere between a LCD and a Plasma.

I've been told using video outputs on receivers hurts the quality slightly. I plan on just using my reciever (Onkyo TXSR702B) with just its audio outs to my Bose 10's. Its best to use your best direct in TV video inputs (DVI/HDMI/Component) from the source (DVD/Cable box) and the use the best audio hookups you can (optical if possible) through a good surround receiver.
They are just now coming out with some good DVD players that have both an Optical Audio out and a DVI/HDMI video out.

I'm checking out a Samsung DVDHD841 right now.

bhend4
Unregistered guest
Thanks Phil, I guess I knew that. Let me know if the Samsung works out (if you get it). The reviews on it in here (just checked em out) arent too favorable, but it looks, and reads, like a nice player.

Beavercreek, Ohio

Post Number: 3
Decided against the Samsung and went with a Toshiba SD-5970. A great picture for a DVD player, comes with its own HDMI cable as well. I am very happy with this unit. Only issue is that the remote responds slow. Sometimes you need to hit the buttons a couple of times to get it to respond.
The toshiba has all the features I needed...HDMI/DVI output, optical output and upconverts to 720/1080 as well. Can get them for around 175.00..Got mine tonight at HH Greg for 159.00. They gave me a break because I had to drive across town to pick it up.

Hope this helps..

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 214
Nice choice for your DVD. I have the Toshiba 5970 and a JVC 52" DiLA and I have been extremely happy. I too have experienced the remote issues with the 5970. Toshiba says that it is "standard operation". Other than that issue, it is a great player.

Bronze Member
Username: Mp906

Post Number: 18
I bought a Toshiba 5970 as well as it seemed to be the only HDMI output option. It has all the features I could want, but the quality is sub-par. The unit has simply failed to play several DVD's and had to be restarted. IT also is LOUD when the internal parts move. Also, the remote response is horrible. Overall cheesy quality.

The picture is ok, black levels have ZERO detail. Not sure if that is the DVD player or the 52hm84. We'll see once DISH comes out tomorrow w/ my HD reiever.

Anonymous

Hi everyone..a question about hdmi and hdcp though I know there is no benefit to what I'm asking. Is it possible to get hdmi WITHOUT hdcp? if not then is there a way around this, like get a dvi-hdmi converter, would this by-pass the hdcp part?
Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers,
tomii

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
If you hook a non compliant device to another device with HDCP you will get no transfer of data.

xvxvxvx

Username: Eddy13

Ok I have a Panny 37 inch 7 series industrial ed Plasma and I am looking to buy a Hughes HD Receiver/Tivo. Now Its my understanding that this receiver has a HDMI hookup to it can I hook up my plasma with the Hdmi Cables to my HD Receiver even though I will be running a optical cable from this receiver to my av receiver.. My Av Receiver can only output digital sound through coaxial or fiber optical. What im trying to ask is If I can connect a HD Receiver to a plasma via Hdmi Cables for video only and then turn around and use a optical to run from HD receiver to my Av Receiver!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 225
That's how mine is hooked up. HDMI to JVC TV, opitcal to the reciever. Just make sure your TV's internal speakers (if any) are turned off.

magnum fole
Unregistered guest
I have a samsung 56" DLP and I just hooked up DVI cables to my comcast HD box. Now the picture is great, but I am getting no sound at all. Do I need a seperate, special audio connection? I also left the component cables from the original comcast connection intact ans the component 1 video is getting sound ok.

Bronze Member
Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 17
Magnum - The DVI is video only. Get yourself an optical audio cable from HD box to receiver. If you box doesnt have optical, it will likely have coax digital audio, use that.

dmo
Unregistered guest
Just experienced the usual Cable HD hook up nightmare..and not real happy to learn the Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD STB won't connect via DVI to my SS LT-P326W...had to go component....Even less happy that the COX Cable (Fairfax Co, VA)installer was all but clueless.....wanting at 1st to hook me up with RCA cables.....What planet are you guys on? Suffice to say I WENT BALLISTIC....XXXXXX Scary I knew more than they did....

Bronze Member
Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 18
We have adelphia cable here, they didnt even know what HDMI was, nor did they know they do have a DVI connection on the STB, but alas, it is not even active. Had to go component here too...

paulie
Unregistered guest
Another newbie here...if I buy a cable that is VGA (HD-15) to Component (5 RCA) will this work by directly connecting the cable to my PC and to my TV? Or I need one of those converter devise?

Please advise. Thanks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 264
Should work just fine. I'd recommend downloading a program called "powerstrip". It is very flexible and will help with finding a good resolution to fit your TV.

paulie
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advise Mr. Lynch. i will definitely try that.

C. Taylor
Unregistered guest
I have a new Denon DVD-2910 player that has both DVI and HDMI output. My TV has only HDMI input. My Yamaha 6.1 Receiver does not have HDMI. I was planning on running DVI to HDMI on my monitor and toslink optical and/or 5.1 channel outputs to my Receiver. Would that work? Could I instead run an HDMI to HDMI to my TV and run the optical or 5.1 to my receiver--turn off the sound to the TV--and get sound through the Receiver?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Could I instead run an HDMI to HDMI to my TV and run the optical or 5.1 to my receiver--turn off the sound to the TV--and get sound through the Receiver?

Exactly the best method, although either will work the same.

C. Taylor
Unregistered guest
Thanks SO much "xvxvxvx" for the info and quick response.

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 30
Let me offer this scenario .....

You have HD Cable/Sat with DVI/HDMI out.
You have a HDTV with DVI/HDMI in (only one)
You also have a DVD player (DVI/HDMI/component out).
You have a AV Receiver with optical audio in (probably more than one).

I've thought quite a bit about how best to hook this all up to get the best picture, and here's what I've come up with ....

Q#1) Does your DVD player have a HQ upconversion like the Denon's or is the upconverter in your TV better?

Yes?

I have the Denon 1910 and have found the Faroudja upconverter better in it than in my JVC 52" DILA set. The Faroudja upconvertion is only available out the DVI port tough. Therefore, I'll use my only HDMI TV input for DVD viewing.

Since the HD signal will be already "HD scaled" out of the cable/sat box, then HQ component cables will do a very fine job transmitting the images to the TV.

No?

If you don't have a HQ upconverting DVD player, then you might descide to use the DVI/HDMI connection for the Cable/Sat and use component for the DVD player .. as you'll be relying on the TV's upconverter anyways.

>> Audio

Use optical ports 1st, coax digital secong, analog last.

Ang

Username: Toohyped

Corona, CA USA

Hello all. New to this site and i was just wondering if anyone has heard anything positive or negative about the Panasonic SAXR70S. It's the only A/V receiver (thats reasonably priced) with HDMI output that i can find. And if anybody knows of any other A/V receivers with HDMI output i would really like to know what they are.

Thanks

Username: Luckylion

Follow up question to the Panasonic SAXR70S question....

I know that this Panasonic receiver has an HDMI input and output. Can I plug my HD cable box into this receiver using the video component cables, and then use the HDMI connection to plug into my HDTV? My HDTV does have an HDMI connection. I guess my question is will the receiver take the input from my HD cable box, and transform it to a format where the HDMI connection can transfer it to my HD TV?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Toshiba sd-5970su - just bought this at best buy and hooked it up to my 27" Maxent HDTV and cannot upconvert to 1080i. I am guessing this toshiba only allows the upconvert via the HDMI. I do not have DVI or DHMI inputs, only component, VGA, SVIDEO, and coax. Is there any converter or method to get this working?

Anonymous

1. you need HDMI

2. this is really fancy line doubling and so forth, you cannot artificially transform a current generation dvd disc into a true HI DEF DVD disc - ie. equiv of what the INDUSTRY GIANTS in the HD-DVD vs BLU-RAY battle are working on.

in other words it will not be a true 720p/1080i equivalent no matter whether you have HDMI connections or not

Unregistered guest
Interesting discussion(s), I'm getting educated.

I have: a Panasonic PT-AE700u projector with HDMI/component/Svideo inputs; an Illico HDTV source with DVI/component/Svideo/composite/Digital Audio outputs; also a DVD with component/Svideo/Digital & optical audio output and a VCR.

Right now I have it patched together with whatever cables I had with an old (8 track/LP) stereo amplifier.

I need to buy cables and then a home theater. Since cables seem to be quite expensive (in the hundreds) especially if they go across the room 20 - 25 ft, I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong ones.

From reading the above discussion, I think I should buy a DVI to HDMI cable to go from the Illico to the projector, component cable to go from the DVD to the projector, and digital and/or optical cable(s) to go to the unpurchased amplifier from the Illico and the DVD.

Is this correct?
What do I need in the Home Theater Amp (I don't need AM/FM)?
Which is better for sound digital or optical?

AGRO1
Unregistered guest
How good is the Denon upconversion ??? I understand that it's just fancy line doubling/scaling, but how close does it come to, say, the HD signal I get from my HDTV @ 1080i ?? Do DVD's look substantially different when upconverted from 420p ??
One other question - is there a was to send the DVI upconverted image into a VGA connection ??? Does anyone make a DVI to VGA converter ??

Go Sox!
Unregistered guest
If i have HDMI (out) on my set top box (direct tv) and HDMI on my DVD player and only one HDMI input on my tv is a HDMI splitter the answer? Will i lose quality?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 320
I don't believe you can find a "splitter". They do make HDMI selector boxes but they run about $250.

AGRO1
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to convert a 1080i DVI feed, from DVI to VGA and then from VGA to component ?? I know that's alot of signal transfer, but if it can be done, then you can use your receiver for component switching and not need the expensive selector box.

Unregistered guest
Does my Tv which is HDMI is compatible with dvd WHICH IS DVI
Please help, I just bought a new TV AND A NEW SAMSUNG DVD-HD841 i HAVE PROBLEMS SETTING IT UP.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 326
Get a DVI to HDMI cable. You will need to hook up the DVD player via component cables, go into the setup menu and turn on the DVI out. Then you can run the DVI to HDMI cable. Just be aware that the HD841 is notorious for resetting and you will have to re-activate the DVI out again if it happens.

Username: Valiukas0606

I have Sharp 37 inch LCD, Samsung HD931 DVD player, Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver and Dish Network HD receiver. Love my LCD set, Discovery HD looks unbelievable. Here is my problem - I can notice a big difference when using DVI vs component on DVD player, but when I use DVI instead of component from my dish receiver, it's the opposite - picture looks terrible. What am missing here?

anonymous123444555
Unregistered guest
Question. I am buying a 45 inch Sharp LCD Aquos that has (1920 x 1080) pixels and can display in 1080p. I know there is no source for 1080p currently (high-def or dvd). My question is, what can I do to maximize my enjoyment of 1920 pixels? Of course I will use DVI or HDVI to connect TV to DVD and Comcast Cable HD PVR (Sharp claims it upconverts 1080i HD signal to 1080p), but what can I do beyond that? There are upconverting DVD players correct (one is sony I believe)? Is this worth it? Any thoughts on how to maximize picture?

Brian123
Unregistered guest
Question. I am in the market for a new receiver and am oscillating between the Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2500. I have read several threads on this, but would appreciate any help/input with the following:
1) My HD satellite box is currently connected to Sony 61HS10 projection TV via component RGBHV. If I get the 3805 or 2400 and connect to the receiver via RGB will it work (i.e.: does it matter that the HV connection is missing?)?
2) For future upgrade path how big an issue is it that these recovers don't have DVI/HDMI connections?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Unregistered guest
Probably a redundant question, after reading all of the postings above. But, I have a system as follows:
1. Panasonic Plasma that does have an HDMI input. No speakers attached (my choice).
2. Bose 321 GS2 audio system.
3. Comcast Cable HD box (Motorola) with DVI, S-cable outputs, along with optical audio output (standard audio output as well).

So, my thought is as follows for maximum kick from the system: HDMI/DVI cable from cable box directly to Plasma for video from cable service (HDTV, standard, etc). Optical cable from cable box to Bose for audio.

My question is what is best video connection from Bose to Plasma for DVD's played by Bose 321? Would the red/green/blue connection be best in this case?

Thanks for any suggestions and/or warnings on what I may or may not be facing. BTW, the motorola Cable box is going to be either the 5100 or 6200 series. I will know that tomorrow when I pick it up.

Happy holidays!

jmoe
Unregistered guest
Back to the basics again. I am looking at the Sharp LC-30HV4U LCD that has DVI: 24-pin DVI (digital only) x 1 input and no HDMI. Is there drawbacks to this?

Thanks for any help.

Quinn
Unregistered guest
I am having HD cable hooked up tomorrow to my 42" Panasonic ED plasma. Will I really notice a difference between "DVI to component" and "DVI to HDMI" hookups?

Peas
Unregistered guest
"I am having HD cable hooked up tomorrow to my 42" Panasonic ED plasma. Will I really notice a difference between "DVI to component" and "DVI to HDMI" hookups?"

No, your display is an EDTV not an HDTV. It will display a 480p signal not 720p or 1080i which are the two HD standards.

Peas

Todd O
Unregistered guest
Alright, finally a place that someone can understand me at.

I have a Philips HDTV w/DVI input (no HDMI). I tried to use that Samsung DVD player with DVI out but could not get any DVDs to play with DVI (got them to play w/component). I was afraid my TV wasn't HDCP compliant, but Philips "says" it is. Not getting it to work, I purchased the Toshiba DVD player mentioned in a previous post (with HDMI out) and purchased an adapter. I still can't get a DVD to play with that input. I can see the menus for the players (and the typical blue screens) but no video. I am component out for now.

Is Philips not telling the truth about their TV about HDCP?

Peas
Unregistered guest
Did you change the input on your display? Plus look at the bright side, you likely won't see any difference between your component and DVI inputs from A DVD source.

Peas

Peas
Unregistered guest
Did you change the input on your display? Plus look at the bright side, you likely won't see any difference between your component and DVI inputs from a DVD source.

Peas

meps68
Unregistered guest
I have a 52' Toshiba DLP...is it worth the upgrade to purchase HDMI DVD player...Will I notice a difference?

Username: Joep

Hi, I am new to this forum-
I own a Samsung TXN3098WHF TV, and just purchased a Sony DVP-NS975V DVD player, after reading a great review of it. I connected them with a 1 m Monster HDMI to DVI cable, several times, and have not been able to get an image on the TV.
Has anyone else worked with these components together, and had similar problems?
When connected, the DVD HMDI light does not come on, but the TV does receive some signal- the digital input setting goes from the default green to black, when the DVD is turned on.
I took the DVD and cable to a store, to try various combinations-
1) the player and cable could not drive another DVI TV
2) the player with a HMDI-HDMI cable could drive a newer TV
3) a Samsung DVI HD841 player with my cable reversed, DVI to HDMI, could drive the same newer set.
So, it would seem to be a compatibility issue between the specific player, cable, and TV.
Sony and Samsung are absolutely no help, and I really hope I can get the player and TV to work together, without having to buy a new HDMI player, etc. Any suggestions???
Thanks! Joe

Anonymous

can I use a HDMI cable from my Hd cable box to 50 inch DLD and still get full screen picture
(no letterbox) with a HD broadcast. I can't
seem use the complete 50inch when using HD.
If i connect using component cable the letterbox
is gone.

Thanks

Todd O
Unregistered guest
Okay, I am conviced now that my Philips Plasma 37FD9954 is NOT HDCP compliant per another website (epinions). Since I have a DVI input, will I ever be able to play anything HD through it? Not sure how HDCP works. I know it is a form of copy protection. All I know is that the darn DVD players that I play through it won't play video (only menus).

Since I have a DVD with DVI/HDMI out do I need some sort of converter box?

AND, when I get a cable box with HDMI out which will be in the next couple of days, will I see video? Or will HDCP become a problem?

Maudawg68
Unregistered guest
I have a RCA HD Receiver already hooked up to my Hitachi Ultravision 51". It is connected to my dvd player and my sony receiver. How can I connect my Directv Hughes Tivo with it?
I cant figure out how to have the HD receiver and the Tivo together. They both have their own seperate P5 cards. Please help....

daveguy21
Unregistered guest
Okay guys, I have a Sony 60xs955 DLP, now watching regular cable right now(can't wait for comcast to come out to my place) really blows. I also have a sony dvp-ns775 dvd player, now when watching a dvd, I notice like these little(tiny) black dots bouncing around, almost like when I watch cable(but not as bad). Now for $125 or whatever I spent for the monster component video cables you would think the picture to be perfect(at least when watching a dvd). I was watching poolhall junkies so maybe its something else, but does anyone have any ideas? I am not sure if the t.v. is just trying to compensate and fill in the picture the best that it can, and maybe is overlapping. I am thinking of getting a upconverting dvd player(samsung is on sale at bestbuy right now) and get a HDMI cable, but not if this is something that is the t.v's fault. I am not sure if its a cable problem or a tv problem, or just me, heh heh, but for 3.5 large, I would hope its not the t.v.

ReallyfrustratedMatt
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung DLP 50" TV with DVI, HDMI, and PC in jacks. I have just purchased the Samsung HD841 DVD player. I can not get my HDTV Cable box, my DVD player and the TV to all work together. I have the cable hooked up using DVI to DVI. I have the DVD player hooked up using the DVI to HDMI on the TV. I cannot get a picture using the HDMI input on my TV. Any ideas? Thanks.

Harold
Unregistered guest
Typically speaking will DVI-D to HDMI give as good a quality as a standard VGA connection from the computer when viewing speadshets etc.?

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Dear Daveguy,
My question to you is how far away from your tv set do you sit. If you are sitting to close your picture will look like crap due to the fact that it is made up with the same amout of pixels as its 34 inch HD counter part. So if you are not at least 12 to 18 feet away from your set you will always see those little black dots unless you are watching a High defintion program. As far as buying the monster cables, that was a smart Idea for more than one reason, first the quality of the gold plated ends is much better...so over the long run it will not be oxidize and rust. Second the ends of the cables have grips so that you will not have a loose conection.. thus giving you better picture quality. And last but not least the wire and shielding of the cable will help to ensure that no other signal interupts the one traveling from the dvd to the tv.

Unregistered guest
Dear Daveguy,
My question to you is how far away from your tv set do you sit. If you are sitting to close your picture will look like crap due to the fact that it is made up with the same amout of pixels as its 34 inch HD counter part. So if you are not at least 12 to 18 feet away from your set you will always see those little black dots unless you are watching a High defintion program. As far as buying the monster cables, that was a smart Idea for more than one reason, first the quality of the gold plated ends is much better...so over the long run it will not be oxidize and rust. Second the ends of the cables have grips so that you will not have a loose conection.. thus giving you better picture quality. And last but not least the wire and shielding of the cable will help to ensure that no other signal interupts the one traveling from the dvd to the tv.

Anonymous

Dear Daveguy,
My question to you is how far away from your tv set do you sit. If you are sitting to close your picture will look like crap due to the fact that it is made up with the same amout of pixels as its 34 inch HD counter part. So if you are not at least 12 to 18 feet away from your set you will always see those little black dots unless you are watching a High defintion program. As far as buying the monster cables, that was a smart Idea for more than one reason, first the quality of wire is much better...so over the long run it will not be oxidize and rust. Second the ends of the cables have grips so that you will not have a loose conection.. thus giving you better picture quality. And last but not least the wire and shielding of the cable will help to ensure that no other signal interupts the one traveling from the dvd to the tv.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Typically speaking will DVI-D to HDMI give as good a quality as a standard VGA connection from the computer when viewing speadshets etc.?

Essentially the digital connections will be identical. HDMI specs provide for greater bandwidth but this will not effect HD or any other viewing just yet. The other difference (as I'm sure you know) is that you will need to run your audio cables.

xvxvxvx

Daveguy21
Unregistered guest
donlapri, should I trade my dvd player in for a HDMI upconverting dvd player? or just stay with my current model using the component video? And with my tv I sit(because of limitations) 10-12ft away from tv, although Halo 2 looks awesome on it!!!

Anonymous

Daveguy

Bless your heart. You sound really frustrated. First of all - if you bought the Sony 60xs955 (which is the one I want also) you got and LCD RP not a DLP. You may be experiencing some LCD delay in the pool ball motion. I'm not sure

Daveguy21
Unregistered guest
hmm, either way its a great tv, but I am sure I have heard its a DLP, I could be wrong maybe I will check, but you guys, trade in my Sony dvp-ns775 DVD player for say a Samsung DVD-HD841? The sammy being of coarse upconverting(so I have to trade in my component video cables for HDMI

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
FWIW Sony does not manufacture any DLP models, none at all.

xvxvxvx

TV Guy
Unregistered guest
actually they have 4 models of DLP, I will look up the models, but I know that.

Daveguy21
Unregistered guest
ok guys I bought a Toshiba SD5970 DVD player(upconverting) but now I think I might want to return it.....I am hearing good things about the LG DVB418, anyone have any experiece with these?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Daveguy21,

Upconverting or not, component cables will handle the signal hand-off.

TV Guy,

No...Sony doesn't make DLP's. They are in bed with D-ILA/LCOS, not Texas Instruments DMD.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Daveguy21,

Upconverting or not, component cables will handle the signal hand-off.

TV Guy,

No...Sony doesn't make DLP's. They are in bed with D-ILA/LCOS, not Texas Instruments DMD.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Double posts are so wierd! I didn't click twice.

Unregistered guest
Ok I going to buy the JVC 61" HD-ILA. It uses only one HDMI input. There are a handful of DVD players(upconvertered) using DVI or HDMI. My comcast HD box uses DVI. Thanks to this website I have discovered I can buy a DVI/HDMI converter but how can I run both the DVD and the cable box. Also since the JVC HD-ILA already upconverts to 720p or 1080i do I need the upconverted DVD player.

Anonymous

I tried the Audioquest DVI cable ($165)with a 'gender bender' to mate with the USB style connector my Sony 50WE655 high def TV. What did I get? SNOW!

The guys at Magnolia/Best Buy blamed the snow on the Cox/Motorola HD/DVR box saying that Cox doesn't deliver boxes with working HDMI outputs because the consumer isn't smart enough to know about the benefits.

The first 'tech' I talked to at Cox blamed it on the Sony TV and basically told me to pound sand. The second tech at Cox told me, 'Yes, you are right. We don't provide our customers in Orange County, CA with working HDMI output boxes. We only provide them to our San Diego customers"!

Daveguy21
Unregistered guest
(Upconverting or not, component cables will handle the signal hand-off)
Yes....but the picture on my Sony Wega when ran at 460/480...whatever...just does not look good, so that is why I got an upconverting player, and some(that I have heard) will not upconvert using component, so I have opted to go HDMI, since I have 2 HDMI inputs.

SoCal
Unregistered guest
I have a new Sharp Aquos 32" LCD that has both HDMI and DVI. I have Directv w/TiVo. I want to buy a DVD player that has either DVI or HDMI. It appears there are 3 on the market. The LG-LGDVB418. The Toshiba SD-5970 and the Samsung HD841. I've read all the reviews and would like some advice. Is it better to live with the poorly designed Toshiba remote or deal with resetting the Samsung? Any thoughts on the LG? I read one place that the LG has been discontinued? If you know of other DVD players with HDMI or DVI please let me know. I really don't want to spend more than $200 on a DVD player if I don't have to.

Unregistered guest
I have a PC resolution question that may determine the TV I purchase. (Song 50V655 LCD, Hitachi 50vxs910 Director Series or Sharp 45 Aquos LCD) If a PC is connected via RGB component, will it display resolutions up to the TV's capability (ie 1280 x 20 or 1920 x 1080) or are the RGB component inputs limited to 480P? I am tired of the overscan on my current 480P EDTV and want to be able to view higher PC resolutions (800x600 or higher) on one of these new TV's. And after hearing the older DVI-to-HDMI issues, I am concerned that buying a new video card with DVI output may be a waste of money. HELPPPP????

Username: Xiphias

Post Number: 4
So Cal,

the Samsung DVD HD-931 has DVI output and its smoken'. The picture quality (when the DVD is in a 720 or 1080i output) is unbelievable. As good or better than OTA HD and Voom HD. The Sammy 931 also has toslink optical or digital 75ohm coax audio output as well, so playing SACD, DVD-A and Dolby EX are also remarkable on a 7.0 system. Performance has been flawless. Worth the money. Make sure, if you plan to run DVI, that you run a good, quality cable. Monsters M500 is a good choice as is AudioQuests. I've tried economy cable and you get an 'ecomony' imaging. Yes, cable do make a difference, ask any audiophile!

Username: Xiphias

CharlieA123,
Here's some limited insight:
With your PC running via RGB its resolution capability is based on the video card in your computer. You can't get the set to run higher resolution if the graphic card can't support it. When checking mfg. (i.e., Nvidia, ATI, etc.) be sure to check what formats/imaging it supports and what pin config it works with. The newer ones (PCI express) have the most options.

Unregistered guest
Thank you for the "limited input. The higher-end video cards I am considering will be capable of the high resolutions. Even my existing video card is capable, but can only be connected to the TV via a VGA-to-RGB cable. My biggest question is whether the RGB (component) input on the newer TVs can pass through those 1024X720 and higher resolutions? If so, I can consider certain TV models. If not, I have more (and better) options as far as TVs go. The Sharp Aquos 45 certainly seems capable of all the input needs and seems to have wonderful menu adjustments and settings for all the input types. But the COST...whew! The Toshiba 52HM94 is a great TV with individual remote input source buttons (a feature I LOVE), but acccording to reviews, even Toshiba does not reccommend using that set as a PC monitor. And I have to wonder why. My cheapest choice and a good set is the Sony 50we655 LCD but it has no DVI input, only component and HDMI. HDMI is out for PC connection so tht is why I am seeking a dfinitive answer as to whether the RGB component inputs will allow the TV to display an 800x600-plus resolution. If anyone knows for sure, please speak up. Thanks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 476
Why do you rule out HDMI for PC connection? I use a DVI to HDMI cable from my PC (DVI-D output video card) to my 52" JVC. I use Powerstrip to adjust the video cards resolution to fit my sets 1280x720 native resolution with minimal overscan. I'm sure the same setup would work with the Sony you are looking at.

Unregistered guest
I have Powerstrip and the new NVidia interface supports custom resolutions, though with fewer tweaks, like powerstrip. I was planning to use the HDMI to connect my HD/DVR cable box. The Sony also has a nifty "overscan" setting (-1, normal, +1) in it's menu. Not sure exactly how powerful or useful that is, but the feature is there. I~ just saw that while at Sears today. But thanks for the DVI-to-HDMI tip. That is good to know. Thanks. Still need my original question answered as to whether the RGB component inputs can pass through the high resolutions.

Unregistered guest
Also, your tip on DVI-to-HDMI opens the door for me to re-consider the Hitachi 50VX915 Director Series LCD, which has two HDMI imputs AND the capability to control each input source with seperate remote buttons (an important feature if you need to have remote macros to control seperate audio/video components simultaneously). That's a feature I really like, especially if you can't turn off un-used input sources. I hate scrolling (one way) through 6 - 10 input sources. You would think the geniuses that are creating this great new technology would take "real life" functionality into consideration when designing these sets. Go figure. Do you think a VGA-to-DVI-to-HDMI combo set of adaptors/cables would work for my existing video card? Well, I suppose I could use a better video card anyway with a DVI connector. But aren't there diferent levels of DVI? What should I look for, DVI-D or DVI-I?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 478
HDTVs for the most part only accept DVI-D. You will get nothing if you hook up a DVI-I videocard to a DVI-D input.

I've used the ATI adapter with my PC and it worked great. http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/faq.html#1

I had the Radeon 8500LE and I used the VGA to component adapter set at 720p. You can also set it at 1080i. ATI also sells a DVI-I to Component adapter that works just as well.
When I upgraded my video card I made sure to get one with DVI-D output. Now i just run a DVI to HDMI cable when I hook my PC up to my TV.

Unregistered guest
Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to travel to DC last night. I appreciate the responses. So, Mr Lynch, you are saying that the VGA-to-component cable from your PC's Radeon 8500LE card was sending the full 720p resolution to your [HD] TV set? What resolution setting are you running on the PC (ie 1028x720)? Did you experience any overscan? That's what I am hoping to avoid with a newer high resolution TV. I'm tired of it with my current set up. Is overscan a fact of life with any PC-to-TV connection? I do have Powerstrip and it does help. I just want to make sure that if I continue to use the component input on a new high-res TV that I will be able to run the PC at higher-than-800x600 resolutions so that I can fully see entire windows, pop-ups, games, etc... It sounds to me that you are saying "YES". Is that correct? Thanks again for your help.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 482
I got a full 720p signal. When running the PC at 1280x720 using the ATI catalyst program I got an excellent picture, but there was a small amount of overscan that bugged me. I ended up using powerstripe to create my own custom resolution to fit my screen. I don't know it off the top of my head, but it was much, much higher that 800x600. I also believe the resolution settings will vary from set to set. Some sets might be a native 720p, but they are actually 1388x762. It takes a little playing around, but you can get some good results. I don't hook my PC up vary often so I'm no expert. You might want to try to find a HTPC thread for more help.

Unregistered guest
I noticed an HTPC thread. I'll check it out. Just from what you've told me, it sounds like the component input will pass through whatever resolution the PC throws at it. If the TV is capable of the resolution, it should be fine. It also sounds like overscan is simply an annoying little fact of life for a PC as a source.

J-sun
Unregistered guest
I have a couple of questions. I just bought a DLP projector that is capable of up to 720p resolution, and it has a VGA, S-Video, RS232 mini-DIN (whatever the hell that is), and a composite video port. My 1st question is, which one will produce the best picture?

My second question is--Is it possible to hook up my projector to some type of cable box and watch cable television with my projector.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
The answer to your first question is the vga will have the best picture. The answer to your second question is iffy. I have seen one satellite receiver that has a vga output on it. You would have to ask your local cable provider if they offer a box with that output. You do have the option though of looking for an adapter that converts the component out to vga out. Your chances are much better of finding a cable box with component out. There may be some issues with the resolution and shape of the screen as it seems you have a projector designed to act as a computer monitor for a laptop or desktop. Worse come to worse, you can easily get a cable box that can connect to your s-video port. The picture won't be as good as the vga but at least you'll be able to watch tv big screen style. And just for info, the rs-232 port is designed for very slow data transfer (software upgrades etc...). I don't even think that port has the bandwith to pass analog video.

Username: Admin

Post Number: 241
Here is a link to a useful article, DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/122868.html

ted barrack
Unregistered guest
i have a Samsung hlp4663 and have it hooked up to component video from a dvr cable box. All of the trailers at the bottoms of sports shows are cut off and i dont have any picture size options (zoom, etc....) Also, the picture looks a little blown up and grainy like its zoomed in. Any help would be appreciated

Username: Shartee

HELP!!! My son has just purchased a 50" SamSung HDTV. It's turned into a nightmare trying to hook everything up to it. Cable company is clueless & Best Buy, etc. only want to sell the big $$ cables. When we connect the HDMI DVI cable from the TV to the HD Cable box (with xbox conncted) we have sound but no picture. If we change the set up where we have to unhook a cable then connect a cable to the xbox everything works fine. But we would like to have everything connected and not have to switch cables when we want to use the xbox.
We have digital Cable
We have 50" SamSung HDTV
We have the HDTV box from cable company
We have a DVD Player
We have an XBox
We have surround sound theater system.

Is there any way all of these components can be connected properly so everything will work??
We want to know if there is any way to do the following.
Sorry this is so long; I'm a Mom going mental trying to get this straightened around for my son.
Thanks for all your help.

SHARON G REPLY
Unregistered guest
Yes. I have all of the same stuff (different tv)

DVI from cable box - to HDMI on tv

Need (red and white) audio wires from cable box out to audio recievers in

DVD player (component or Svideo) goes to tv - the audio of DVD goes from DVD players audio out to reciever in

Xbox goes right to tv - audio wherever you want

Does this help? This is pretty much my set up.

Did you guys buy the DLP tv? How is it? I just bought a rear projection LCD by panasonic. Just curious.

I'll check back to see if this helped.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
What type of video outputs (component, s-video, composite) are you using from your cable box, dvd player and xbox? All of your audio outputs should go to the receiver. Unfornately it seems as if your receiver isn't capable of passing video through it. Although it still is possible to connect all your stuff with that in mind, it may be that you are not changing the video on the tv to match the audio from your surround sound receiver.

Username: Shartee

Post Number: 2
Wow...thanks for the quick responses. Okay, we checked everything and this is what we've found;
The feed from the cable box to the TV is not giving us any video when we use the DVI/HDMI. However, when we use the component cables the picture comes in but it is a terrible picture.

By the way, we bought the DLP tv and it's great!

Sorry I'm so dense about all this stuff. I do appreciate everyone's help.

FYI to Sharon G
Unregistered guest
Sharon,

The HDTV converter has a digital coax or optical out. That output needs to go to the surround sound receiver's digital coax or optical input for 5 channel audio decoding. That's the only way to get surround sound. Regular red and white audio won't do it. Do not expect to resolve any audio using HDMI/DVI. Digital audio, whether coax or (the better) optical must go straight to the receiver using a seperate connection. All video must go straight to the set.

Don't forget...component RGB connections look and work just as good for any video connection. In fact, most prefer component RGB for set top box connections and use HDMI/DVI for DVD players.

Don't forget...DVD players also have an optical audio out for input to the surround sound receiver.

I have your TV.

HDTV receiver RGB to TV Component 1 RGB
DVD HDMI/DVI to TV HDMI/DVI
Xbox RGB to TV Component 2 RGB
All digital audio opticals or coax to Surround Sound Receiver.

By the way...I think cable sucks!
I have the Samsung SIR TS360 Direct TV receiver and it's awesome!

Help Me
Unregistered guest
Ok Im getting the 46" Samsung DLP. Im also getting a new Compaq Presario. I have an xbox and a cheap Sony Surround sound system. Right now I hook up my xbox through component cables to my TV and the audio is through the optical to the receiver. I assume that I will use the same set up when I hook it up to my new TV.

Im adding cable to the room and I really dont want to pay for HD, so what connection should I use to hook it to the TV. Right now its going to use the old Coaxial cable...that cant be the best one lol.

Also I have no idea what kind of video card my presario is going to have. I know its the SR1311NX...thats all I really know...Im a newbie at this too. How can I have the computer hooked up to the cpu monitor and the TV simultaneously. Do I use an A/B switch? Also I am looking for the cheapest way to do this...I just think the concept is cool...Im not really looking for the best picture ever.

One more thing about audio...I assume the TV has an audio out. If I hook up cables(which kind?) from the TV to the SS receiver will the sound always come out of my surround sound system. The same question for the cable. I know that I only have 1 coax(analog) and 1 optical connection(which I use for my xbox...and that wont change). Im pretty sure it has a couple component connections, but that doesnt matter right. I dont know if it has HDMI or DVI or whatever...so if I just ran regular RCA jacks would that work?
Help me out here

Help Me
Unregistered guest
Ok Im getting the 46" Samsung DLP. Im also getting a new Compaq Presario. I have an xbox and a cheap Sony Surround sound system. Right now I hook up my xbox through component cables to my TV and the audio is through the optical to the receiver. I assume that I will use the same set up when I hook it up to my new TV.

Im adding cable to the room and I really dont want to pay for HD, so what connection should I use to hook it to the TV. Right now its going to use the old Coaxial cable...that cant be the best one lol.

Also I have no idea what kind of video card my presario is going to have. I know its the SR1311NX...thats all I really know...Im a newbie at this too. How can I have the computer hooked up to the cpu monitor and the TV simultaneously. Do I use an A/B switch? Also I am looking for the cheapest way to do this...I just think the concept is cool...Im not really looking for the best picture ever.

One more thing about audio...I assume the TV has an audio out. If I hook up cables(which kind?) from the TV to the SS receiver will the sound always come out of my surround sound system. The same question for the cable. I know that I only have 1 coax(analog) and 1 optical connection(which I use for my xbox...and that wont change). Im pretty sure it has a couple component connections, but that doesnt matter right. I dont know if it has HDMI or DVI or whatever...so if I just ran regular RCA jacks would that work?
Help me out here

Username: Joe0707

Newport beach , Ca

hey guys you all sound pretty up to speed I have a pdp505pu plasma with two hdmi inputs and a comcast 6400 series hd dvr with no hdmi output only possilbly a dviout ,what will get me in to the new screen with the least hassle I assume a dvi hdmi adt and a good set of audio cables am I on the right track

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 31
yes, a good DVI>HDMI cable or component if you prefer will take care of the video. I would run a optical or coax digital cable directly to your receiver. You might also want to run separate L/R audio to the TV if you have family members that don't like using the receiver for audio (is my wife listening.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
yes, a good DVI>HDMI cable or component if you prefer will take care of the video. I would run a optical or coax digital cable directly to your receiver. You might also want to run separate L/R audio to the TV if you have family members that don't like using the receiver for audio (is my wife listening).

Rod K.
Unregistered guest
I am in the market for a front projector and I was wondering why they are putting hdmi inputs on front projectors when they have no audio capabilities? what is the reason from switching from dvi?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Rod K, HDMI is the future and since all new DVD players will have HDMI it's easier to have a straight HDMI>HDMI cable then worry about a converter cable. In addition since there is DVI-I, DVI-D, single link, and dual link you can imagine how confusing it gets.

Ben Frey
Unregistered guest
don't forget that HDMI is also HDCP (copy protected)...which is the REAL reason they are pushing to make DVI obsolete.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Ben,

DVI allows HDCP copyright protection as well so that is certainly not the reason to choose HDMI over DVI but it is a reason to provide HDMI or DVI over component connections.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
It seems that everyone here is convinced that optical digital audio is better than digital coax. They pass the exact same digital signal bit for a bit. The only differences are pragmatic -- optical is more fragile, the connections may be difficult to do if you cannot see well behind a piece of audio equipment, the physical and this can become scratched and degrade performance, etc. Otherwise, some component manufacturers are going "back" to digital coax such as the Panasonic receiver A/V -- DVD matched 2005 models. In 2004 they were optical.

BTW, regarding the question of the Panasonic receiver AV component, I own the middle HDMI in model year 2004. These are Class D amplifiers , digital amplifiers that have not yet caught on. As far as I know, Panasonic is the only company making them. I really like mine for a small room. These models have a ton of features and incredibly low distortion numbers. However, they can be underpowered compared to heavily heatsinked 100 W RMS discrete multiple amplifiers that are more traditional in the $500 plus range.

Unregistered guest
This is a great thread and I've learned a lot from it. One thing I'm still not sure about though...

Is there a difference between a dvi to hdmi cable and an hdmi to dvi cable. I have a direcTV HD receiver with a dvi output and a panasonic front projector with an hdmi input. When I tried to buy a dvi to hdmi cable, the store only had hdmi to dvi cables, but told me it would work fine just the same. When I hooked it up, the image was basically reversed (like a color negative). Now I'm not sure if it is a cable problem or an equipment problem. The directTV receiver came with a dvi to dvi cable. Would it make more sense for me to just buy a dvi to hdmi adapter for that cable?

Thanks for any feedback.

rick jenkins

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 618
Rick-

A DVI to HDMI cable is a 2 way cable. You can hook it up either way.

chipace
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

I too have a sony wega hdtv, and wanted to drive the hdmi with dvi from my pc. Are you very satisfied with DVI-D graphics card that you mentioned earlier?

I was going to use the ATI DVI-I to component video adpater, but if your graphics card does 16:9 with no over/under-scan... I'll just use that.

I want to store my camcorder DV, ripped mpeg2 dvds, and digital camera mpeg4 video on my pc, and view them on my sony wega. All of these have different native resolutions.

Any thoughts?

(I'll share my results here, from your suggestions)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 629
You can get good results with the ATI DVI-component adapter. It is much easier and cheaper than installing a new card. You will most likely have to mess with the resolution a bit, but with patients you can get good results.
My best recommendation would be to pickup the adapter and give it a shot.

I believe the videocard I use is a 3rd party Geforce4 MX-440. It is an older card, but it does the trick and can be found for around $50. I have used and would have stuck with the ATI component adapter but With only 2 component inputs on my set, I got tired of swaping the cables.

Phil Johnson
Unregistered guest
Hey Stomper, here's your solution, you can use fiber optic DVI cables to extend your cable upto 100m+. Check out this website, they have pretty good pricing: www.mjint.biz hope this helps. pj.

Rod K
Unregistered guest
does that mean that a dvd backup made with dvdxcopy xpress will not play through an hdmi connection??

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 630
Rod-

I have a Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player hooked up to my JVC via HDMI. I have played many "backups" made using DVDxCopy. I have never had a problem. They have always played perfect.

Username: Devlogos

Post Number: 3
I have a sony 34XS955 with the new comcast Moto box using component...Should I get a DVI-HDMI cable? How much, and will it be worth it?

Dcfam
Unregistered guest
most dvi outputs and inputs have hdcp or copy protection just like hdmi, but some older dvi inputs have no hdcp(copy protection), and if you have a dvi output with hdcp and connect it to a display without hdcp, you will have conflicts. It will convert your signal to a lower resolution, thats why some of your displays look better with a component input compared to a digital(dvi)connection. and there is no fix, you have to match the equip, and trust me if you use a dvi or hdmi your picture will look incredible compared to component video assuming you have hdtv. the best digital input there ever was is firewire, there is never a conflict with firewire, but no companies are using firewire anymore (cause no hdcp)

Bronze Member
Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 21
Dcfam,

I agree with most of your write-up. However, not everyone that likes the component inputs over the dvi inputs has a problem with hdcp. Many (myself included) feel that the picture coming from component cables looks better because of the compression of the source. This wasn't because the signal was down-scaled. The only time I have liked a DVI/HDMI connection over a component connection (for HDTV material) was when I viewed non-compressed material. I have yet to see any cable or satellite sources that have looked better with DVI/HDMI. They have looked worse to me because for some reason the digital signal amplifies the compression artifacts. Until I have totally non-compressed soures, I will stick with component inputs. To me the programs that look worse with DVI/HDMO outway the small amount that have looked better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Todd,

It may have to do with the type and manufuacturer of your display. For example, Sony LCD's convert all signals to analog and back to digital so any benefit of a digital to digital connection is lost with these displays. I believe certain Mitsubishi displays do this as well. Samsung and Toshiba are the only ones I know that do not convert their signals to analog. Any time you can avoid unneccesary D/A and A/D conversions it should result in the best PQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 22
Kdog044,

I have a Toshiba set, and I still like my component over my HDMI connections. The problem has to do with the pure digital signal of a compressed source. It shows the picture exactly and the negative digital "effects" of compression get shown more accurately in all their glory. Analog seems to smooth this out some, so SD and compressed HD content look better to me over component. I have seen where less compressed content such as some OTA, has looked somewhat better over DVI/HDMI. But if I was making a recommendation to someone, I would probably tell them to stick with component unless they were viewing only OTA HD and I was able to know how much their OTA HD content was compressed beforehand. A lot of networks aren't using the full bandwidth of their OTA HD signal for HD.

I really believe in the perfect world (pure non-compressed signals) digital would be the way to go. I even made sure I bought an HDMI connection immediately. Unfortunately, I have it connected, but I never switch to it. My eyes just focus on the compression artifacts too much. BTW, those effects will be there regardless if no D/A conversion is made on the signal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us