DLP: Sammy vs Mitsu vs Toshiba

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 76
DLP: Sammy vs Mitsu vs Toshiba
I currently have the 507w and the picture is great. I have started looking for a second set. I have yet to see any of the new Samsung sets, but the reviews are impressive. The Toshiba looks pretty good, except for the huge side speakers, what were they thinking. The Mitsu does have that bad reflective screen, but does have a cable card slot, and tuner. The Diamond is supposed to have a better screen and built in PVR. I think the mitsu and Toshiba only have 2 sets of component inputs.
Anyone please chime in on their thoughts on these sets.
-E

Username: Doclaw64

Post Number: 2
I have been thinking about the toshiba and samsung. Haven't looked at the mitsu yet, but since it does not have the anti glare screen I think that it is out. I am wanting to get the set soon so I don't really want to wait for the anti glare screen to come out. I did see a side by side with a sammy, toshiba and an LG. The toshiba looked a little brighter then the sammy and the LG was the lest brightest. Not that the lg was dark just not as bright. Could not see the difference in the details between the tosh and sammy. They were both very good. I was moving towards the tosh but then I read that the tosh does not have a dvi input or a computer input. My question is though is how important is the dvi inputs? If it is a big deal then I will go to the sammy but if not then the tosh.

Username: Btbeilke

Post Number: 1
I am looking at the Mitsu WD52525 and the new Samsung HL-P5063W. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to view the Samsung with a good HDTV signal yet (Sears only had it hooked up to a 4:3 DVD and Ultimate Electronics had something wrong with their display set.) I did notice a lot of glare on the Mitsu, but was told that the protective screen could be removed to eliminate that problem. Can the protective screen really be removed? Is it a good idea to remove the protective screen? Can the protective screen be upgraded?

Also, I know that the Samsung has the HD3 chip. Does the Mitsu have the HD2+ or is it a different (non-TI) chip altogether. The literature lists the chip as being 0.85" with 2500:1 contrast ratio. That doesn't appear to jive with the TI chips.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

KB
Unregistered guest
Mits is coming out with the WD52725 within a couple of months that will have an anti-glare screen and some other bells and whistles. The specs for the Mits' chip are close enough to the HD2+ chip so I think that's probably what they are using even though their customer service will tell you its a proprietary chip.

DanD
Unregistered guest
I just stopped by BB - they had the Samsung HLP5085W, Toshiba 52HM84, Mitsubishi WD-52525, and JVC 61Z575. Out of the four, the Toshiba had the most vibrant colors, the Mitsubishi had the most detail, the Samsung picture looked small with the side speakers, and the JVC had the weakest PQ. I was enamored with the Toshiba until I noticed the detail on the Mitsubishi - but then I noticed all the detail of the showroom reflected on the non-glare front. I just downloaded the Mitsu owner's guide - page 93 shows how to remove the Diamond Shield, so the glare can be reduced (at the possible expense of damaging the monitor screen, I suppose).

The "speaker ears" on the Toshiba don't appear to be a major appearance distraction. However, the lack of input jacks on the back could be a long term problem.

So, Mitsu or Toshiba? I'm leaning towards Mitsubishi, with the added inputs.

kb
Unregistered guest
DanD, DId you take into account that the JVC was a 62 and all the rest were 50's by stepping back more for the JVC to evaluate the picture. I too saw all side by side at HH Gregg. Without optimizing the picture settings for each TV, its really hard to judge.

Bronze Member
Username: Rudyq3

Post Number: 23
Did any of you see the Panasonic PT50LC14 LCD rp?

I had my heart set on the Toshiba then I saw this cheaper Pana and was surprised.

Maybe the Pan set's pic was optimized while others's setting are on factory defaults.

Unregistered guest
I have the Mitsubishi 62525 and read here about the non-glare screen of the 62725 becoming available. Just fyi, I called Mitsubishi Customer Service to see how I could get one. The person I spoke with didn't know and so did some checking. When he came back, he said the screen of the 725 and the 525 are not interchangeable. Thanks Mitsubishi.

Username: Georgeb

As I said in my previous post, I have the Mits 62525. I also have the Directv HR10-250 (The DVR with HD Tivo). I am using the HDMI input. Problem with it. I get video but no sound. Have to hook up the analog audio as with DVI. In checking with installers for both Dish and Directv, they tell me they are also having this problem. No one knew of a solution and it doesn't appear to be limited to the Directv DVR that I have. Has anyone heard of any problems like this? Thanks for any help.

Bronze Member
Username: Rudyq3

Post Number: 28
GeorgeB...I heard somewhere that Mits will have a non glare screen coming out in Oct. for around $200....and it's for the 52 inch.

Maybe they'll do the same for the 62 inch

Bronze Member
Username: Cubsfan

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 14
My new 52" Mits 52525 was delivered a week ago and I am very happy with my choice. I was tired of waiting for the 5674 and bought Mits at Tweeter. My opinion is the Mits has the best PQ of all the sets out now, I have not seen the Toshiba, and I like all the extra features it comes with. I will admit that if it is very sunny I have some glare from the stupid front screen, but I can take it off if it starts to bug me. When the set was first delivered it had two small black triangles on the top of the set. Tweeter service came out and showed me the mirror bracket had moved during transit. They were willing to repair or replace the unit, I went with replace and the new, new set will be delivered next Saturday. Having watched several HD movies and Cub games all I can say is wow. If anyone would like more info on this set or has any questions please let me know I will answer them the best I can. I have heard that a replacement front screen, less glare, will be out in October. If anyone has anymore info on this please post it.

Thank in advance,

J.D.

Username: Vortec

Post Number: 10
The necessity of a screen is completely dependent on what you have living in your house. I would say that if there aren't any kids and won't be any kids then the shield is a waist of money. We had a 50" Hitachi for 7 yrs and never had any need for it AT ALL (even though the saleman had really pushed it HARD when we bought it). Never looked back. My 2 cents.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 17
Vortec,

I agree and will take it off if it becomes a problem.

Thanks,

J.D.

newowner
Unregistered guest
Just got the 52525 - had a problem with a HDMI input from a Toshiba DVD/VHS player - but all seems well now. Manual is not completely straight forward for the Mitz - but they did answer the customer support help line and helped work through the set-up. I just got it set up - and it was dark ouside so glare was not an issue. That said, if you look at the $9k HD plasmas out there...they all have a hi-glare screen. I will have to se what it looks like throughout diffferent times during the day this week - but the glare is no worse than other large (32/36 tube) TVs I have seen or as mentioned plasmas. Picture is so bright, unless you look for the reflection, it is not what (at least for me) my eyes are drawn to.
Cheers,
Matt

To Newowner: I, too, am having a problem with the HDMI connection on my Mits 62525. The only thing that I have with an HDMI output is my HD10-250 (the HD DVR from Directv). When I connect it to the HDMI, I get video but no audio. Is this the kind of problem that you had, and if so, can you tell me how you fixed it? Thanks a lot.

Username: Cmfurry

Post Number: 6
HDMI contains both video and audio data, hopefully, isochronosly. When connecting HDMI to DVI, the audio is lost and must be sent to the TV through an analog audio (or via PCM to AVR).

Post Number: 3
Thanks Craig, appreciate it, but I am aware of that. If you'll notice my post, I have HDMI on both ends (No DVI involved). Still no audio. Thanks anyway.

Unregistered guest
George :

I have the same problem and others do too.

Look Here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192617

Post Number: 4
Zubin, thanks very much for this info.

Unregistered guest
Newowner. I just picked up the tosh dvd/vcr combo with hdmi out. Could you please share with me yur experince so I can bypass problems.

Username: Ak_in_va

I've been comparing Samsung 61" DLP v. Mitsu 62" DLP (525) series. Just came back from Tweeter's - while I am still deciding, here's my 2 cents.

1) Mitsu seems to have better detail while Sammy seems to have brighter whites/contrasts.
2) Mitsu's glare on 525's is an issue IF you have (or will watch) with light (sun or o.w) in your TV room (most of us.)
3) Mitsu Light bulb can be replaced from the front (big advantage.) Salesman also said Mitsu will rebate $100 of the 300 lightbulb. Can't corroborate this anywhere.
4) Mitsu 725's will be $200 more and will have a better anti glare screen. My notes say that it will come with a PVR built-in - but don't quote me.
5) HDMI on Mitsu v. DVI on Sammy
6) Front inputs for firewire/smart media -- useful for digital cam/video cam
7) Tweeter's said they'd do a price guarantee for 60 days on either
8) Mitsu has HDTV, Sammy needs a receiver also.

If the 525 series screen can be safely removed and it makes a difference to the glare, i guess I'll pick the Mitsu 525 o.w. i may wait to see what the 725's look like (mid-Oct at Tweeters.)

LG
Unregistered guest
I have a 52HM84 and I love it. The colors are incredible and the menu system is very easy to use. I looked at the Samsung and the Mitsu however the Toshiba just won hands down.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 24
Just a quick update on my Mits. was able to watch college football and a cubs game in HD yesterday. My wife is afraid I'll never leave the house! The PQ is amazing with this set, I could not be happier. Speaking of happy I want to share my success with the Harmony series of remote controls. I was using the remote that came with the Mits and it worked fine, but my wife and young son had trouble getting used to having to slide the device selector switch to turn on the AVR or other device. With the Harmony I have it setup so all they have to do is push one of the activity buttons and everything turns on at once and starts playing. I know this is possible with a lot of remotes but what makes this better then the rest is the easy to use auto web setup. It took me less that 30 minutes to have every part of my system working including some stuff that only I'll will ever use. If members of your family have trouble with getting all of the devices you have working I highly recommend the Harmony remotes, you can pick them up for under $150.

KRAYZ
Unregistered guest
A simple solution for all the people with glare problems: Slightly tilt the display towards or away utilizing your optimum position. Very easy and it's free. A tip I got from a Professional photographer, he is an expert in lighting and reflective surfaces.

Unregistered guest
I JUST BOUGHT THE MITS 62525. THE HD PICTURE IS OUTSTANDING., BUT SOME OF THE CHANNELS ON THE STANDARD CHANNELS ARE NOT SO PLEASING. I AM CURRENTLY UTILIZING THE COMPONENT CABLES OFF OF MY NEW HD DIRECTV BOX. ANYWAY TO CLEAN IT UP?

mikefree
Unregistered guest
I also just bought the MITS 62525 picture is outstanding in 1080i and not bad in digital (still see some rainbows once in a while in digital quality) using COMCAST hi def box. Now for my question, tried using DVI from COMCAST with HDMI adaptor and do not get video, has anybody had success with this ?? Component is good but would like to see if HDMI is better.

Username: Theburninator

Post Number: 10
I just got my Toshiba 52HM84 and I'm very happy with it. The Mitsubishi sets also look very good, but I'm certainly happy with my decision!

Username: Greginca

I've been looking at Mits/Tosh/and Samsung. Mits and Tosh look very good, Samsung is OK if you go with there hlp5285 series with the HD+ chip.

Starting to lean towards Tosh now that I've seen there 52HMX84 with 2 HDMI inputs for $3000 B&M with GE 5year warranty for $240.

Also the matching stand for the TV swivels and looks pretty sweet.

Steve R.
Unregistered guest
Samsung HLP5674W versus Toshiba 62HM84
Both use HD2+ chip. Samsung is suppose to have 2000 or 2500 to 1 contrast. Samsung has 7 segment color wheel. Review on Toshiba 52" by DLPtvReview said that viewing angles limited to 45 degrees horizonal and 30 degrees vertical. Said that some up-converted standard TV was a little granny but ok.

Can someone tell me in layman's terms why the Samsung is considered better?

Anonymous

I've seen the TV in stores, it definently has more than a 45 degree viewing angle horizontal. Actually the only TV I saw with any more viewing angle was the JVC DILA.

As far as up-converting standard TV what can you say. DLP is known for being lowsy at that, and IMO I'm not buying this $3000+ TV for standard TV

Username: Steve_r

Toshiba Cinema vs TheaterWide
Thanks Anonymous on viewing angles and upconvert info.
1) Anyone know if there is any functionality difference between 62HM94 and 62HMX94. Seems like the difference is you get a black bezel rather than a grey one.
2) Anyone know if you can connect a computer VGA output to a HDTV without a 15 pin VGA port? Can you do it through the component input?

NathanE
Unregistered guest
I have struggled with this decision as well (Sammy HLP5063W vs Mitsu WD-52525). I have already purchased a 5063W, but had to return it to BB in less than 1 week b/c of color wheel noise problem. It was terrible. The folks over at AVS forums have basically blasted the Sammys, but for some reason people seem to keep going back to them. (Heck! I'm considering trying a 2nd one!) I posted a thread over there to see what the consensus is - go with the Sammy or the Mitsu. Check it out, and drop your opinions at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453446

Thanks for any advice...

Anonymous

Steve,

HMX94 models have 2 HDMI inputs, I believe there's more as well but I'm not sure.

Also I believe you can purchase a VGA to Component converter. I know definently that component to VGA converters exist.

Bassic
Unregistered guest
I purchased my Mitsu WD 52725 Yesterday at Tweeter. Delivery on Saturday. (I could have it delivered today, but schedule won't work). I compared it to all the sets in the store and it had one of the best pictures. I worry about the glare but my wife was sold on it with grandkids running around. The salesman said next week I could order a bezel kit from them that allows you to remove the gloss screen and retain the factory look. I will be first in line.

Username: Ak_in_va

Bassic: If you don't mind sharing - can i ask how much you paid for the 52725?

bassic
Unregistered guest
Don't mind at all. We purchased quite a bit of stuff.

Mitsu 52725 $3399
5 yr at home $275

We also bought an expensive cabinet/stand that they discounted quite a bit.

Americasteam
Unregistered guest
Hey LG, I just bought the Toshiba 62HM84 and can't figure out how to display the HD resolution that it is running in. Do you have any idea how of if you can do it? This TV rocks!

Americasteam
Unregistered guest
That should read, do you have any idea how or if you can do it? Sorry.

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Any discussion of DLP's should include Hitachi's new line. They are available at Circuit City and Sears only.

Also take a look at Sony's new LCD line (XS and WF)- very impressive if you don't mind blacks that are slightly grey.

Unregistered guest
I just bought the Mits 52725 and it is spectacular! I do not even have it hooked up to HD yet and I can't imagine the picture looking any better. The depth perceptcion is almost 3D and the clarity is amazing. I did extensive research and comparison and felt it was worth the few extra dollars for this TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us