When will TIVO come out with HD recorder/DVD recorder?

Username: Robert169

Post Number: 9
TIVO already has a product that will let you record digital programs and then burn them to a DVD if you want to keep a permanent copy. When are they going to come out with a product that will do that, but with high definition programs? I heard its in the works.

That's the ticket, being able to record in high-def and keep a high-def copy on DVD.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
For a mere $1000.00 your wish is TiVo's command.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 53
Tivo is working on a cablecard version that should work with HD and cable systems. They currently have a HD Tivo for DirecTV only which is WAY OVERPRICED at $1000. I really like my Comcast HD DVR that is only $10/month. I've read a few articles about how to connect a Mac comptuer to the firewire port on the comcast HD DVR and record onto the Mac. I have yet to try that.

Recording HD programming will be different because of copy protection laws. It will be limited as to what you can record. Don't expect to be able to copy every HD show you want. It all depends on how they decide to honor copy protection laws.

Of course the hacker community is always up for the challenge of unlocking copy protection!

Bronze Member
Username: Berta

Post Number: 19
Hi Brian,

How do you like your Comcast HD DVR. Do you also need a DVD player with it? I was looking at the Humax DRT800.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 83
I really like the comcast HD DVR for two reasons
1) It records HD
2) It's only $10/month

Tivo is still a much better DVR, but the HD version is not affordable. The Comcast HD DVR interface works almost exactly like Tivo, but there are a few bugs in it and it's not as user friendly.

Yes, you also need a seperate DVD player if you want to watch DVD's. I would not invest a lot of money in a DVD player because towards the end of the year the new HD DVD players should be out. I would save my money for one of those and buy a $50-$100 player now depending on what you want. I have a pioneer DV-563A that I really like. One important feature is to make sure you buy one capable of progressive scan if you have an HDTV. And be sure you connect it to your TV with component video cables...otherwise progressive scan will not work.

Bronze Member
Username: Berta

Post Number: 24
Brian -
Thanks for the information. After researching the various scenarios and their cost, I am going the same way as you. Yes, I know about getting a progressive scan DVD player and the connections. I have learned alot from this site!

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 89
TiVo Wins Deal with Comcast, Stock Rises

HURRAYYYYYYY!!!!! For those of us (me) lucky enough to have comcast, we'll have a HD Tivo in 2006! I'm so excited!!! The best of both worlds!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=3&u=/nm/20050315/tc_nm/tec h_tivo_dc

Username: Skasol

Post Number: 6
there are some HD Dvd players to be had for $100 at bestbuy.

Username: Murraymcleod

Post Number: 3
Speaking of the Comcast HD DVR, has anyone used the firewire connection on that to view HDTV? The DVI port on My Mitsubishi TV is being used by an upconverting DVD player, so I'm currently using the firewire connection with my non-DVR HD cable box. It works OK, but for some reason the on-screen menus, guides and info descriptions do not work via firewire connection. Is this the same with the Comcast HD DVR (which is what they keep promising me I can have in "one to two weeks" - but evidently the network in my neighbor-hood needs upgrading first....)?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
there are some HD Dvd players to be had for $100 at bestbuy.

There are no HD DVD players on the market outside of Japan yet. When they are available they will be $1000 not $100. Perhaps you are thinking of an upconverting DVD player, even these are much more than $100. All these do is the same as your HDTV will do, that is to upscale the 480i data recorded on the DVD to either 720p or 1080i. Hi-Def cannot be created by upscaling.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 6
I did get the Samsung upconverting DVD player with DVI output at Best buy for $100 (I had bought the same thing as an open-box special for about $160, but it was DOA when I got it home. Upon returning it, BB had a close-out going on this player for $100! I think Samsung is switching all their upconverting players to HDMI outputs... This was the only time I was ever glad that something didn't work when I got it home!)

Anyway, the picture looks great (but not true HD, of course). I've had no problems with this unit like those reported elsewhere on this forum...

But are you (xvxvxvx) saying that *ANY* progressive scan DVD player via component outputs would look as good as an upconverting one with a DVI output?? Are you saying that an HD TV can perform the same upconversion with a component signal??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
good question.

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Hi Murray,

I am in the camp that believes a digital connection will always be marginally superior when compared to analog. That said when you are converting a 480i signal all the way to either 720p or 1080i scaling artifacts will be created. If the D/A converter in the DVD player uses a 10 bit or better chip the component upconversion may in fact be better by the time it is displayed on your screen (which is all that really matters in the long run).

My initial response was mainly intended to inform skasol that he was not going to purchade a true HD-DVD player till late 2005/2006 and certainly not for $100 when they do become available.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
and what I meant was that they upconvert. hey by the way I have a question, my plasma shows some jaggies when playing regular tv, is this natural? I have a HD receiver and some channels show a lot of jaggies, please help thank you, should I exchange my tv? is the toshiba 42hp83

Anonymous

This has been a tremdously helpful thread. Thanx All for your candure!

I read Brian Lampright's post of the URL about Comcast and TiVo, but the url expired. I too am a comcast customer. I think they are doing a great job. Heard some horror stories from others, especially about adelphia. That one I experienced first hand.

I have some $$s coming from Best Buy in rebates. I was thinking of the Tushiba upconverting DVD player f/ $149.00 Seems like a good to me?? Thoughts...

THEN, I saw my friend's Pioneer TiVo w/ DVD burning avility. Now I'm not sure which way to spend the money.

Thanx again for any thoughts,
BR

Post Number: 9
Regarding the Samsung upconverting DVD player mentioned above, since both it and my cable box have a DVI output, and my TV has only one DVI input, I purchased an electronic switch to toggle between the two inputs. While trying to hook up that HDCP compliant switch, I could not get any video from the Samsung. I called the makers of the switch, and they told me the Samsung uses non-standard HDCP copy protection, so they guided me through turning off the HDCP on the Samsung unit with a remote control number sequence! Everything worked fine after that! Does this mean I can now make DVD copies via the non-copy-protected Samsung's component outputs (connected to my DVD recorder)?

fx
Unregistered guest
" Does this mean I can now make DVD copies via the non-copy-protected Samsung's component outputs (connected to my DVD recorder)? "

You could always use a component output to make copies of video data. It is an analog signal via component not digital. As far as I know there is only one or perhaps two DVD recorders that have a component input (A Sony for sure and perhaps one Toshiba model)

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
You're saying anyone can always make copies of any Hollywood DVD via component, s-video, or composite output jacks? I thought the HPCP copy protection prevented that??

fx
Unregistered guest
No the HDCP is a digital copy protection software scheme. I have used a Panasonic E-85 to make copies of hundreds of movies for my personal use. Noone cares about analog recording it is the bit for bit digital copies that pirates use that pisses of the studios.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
So if I were to find a recorder with a DVI input (a computer?) I could make digital copies from the Samsung when HPCP is turned off?

fx
Unregistered guest
I'm quite dubious that your HDCP is disabled on your Samsung no matter what you were told. If by some remarkable chance it is if I were you I'd setup a website and sell that sequence of keystrokes that disables HDCP on Sammy's.

xvxvxvx

Kaligostro
Unregistered guest
Guys:
I think you should wait for the new Samsung SMK70
which will have the new DMP connector. The DMP
( Digital Molecular Processing) will have at least double of the bandwith of the HDMI and DVI and will support the new 1080xt conversion. Samsung has announced that the new 1080xt has three times better resolution as the new 1080p (progressive), mainly because of the structure of the flops which are reversely compatible with the analog converson obtained using the component video up-conversion at 3.6 ghz. No copy protection will be able to work with this system because the advanced micro imaging reflection which will creat an image of content on a virtual drive within the dvd player, this way the protection will not be recognized by the processed flow of data.

Anonymous

I JUST BOUGHT A DIRECTV PVR HD WITH 250GB HARD DRIVE. I HAVE BEEN RECORDING SAVED MATERIAL TO DVDS FOR PAST YEAR AND PLAN TO CONTINUE. I AM ABLE TO SELECT THE QUALITY OF MY COPIES AND EXPECT THEY MIGHT BE IMPROVED BY THIS NEW EQUIPMENT. WILL UPDATE AFTER INSTALLATION. THIS NEW EQUIPTMENT COSTED 599 WITH 200 REBATE.

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 68
Kaligostro, I think u speak from ur ars.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us