Panasonic vs DVR or Tivo?

Username: Treyba

Monroe, LA United States

Post Number: 2
I am trying to make the best decision. I will be purchasing a DVD recorder very soon. My question is, are the panasonic Hard Drives available compatiable with Dish or Direct TV satellite systems in any way. I will be recording TV shows and would like to put them on DVD. Is it best to just buy a DVD Recorder without the Hard Drive and purchase a DVR or TIVO from the satellite companies or, purchase a DVD recorder with a Hard Drive.

Is there a feature I should be looking for that would make this easier, Panasonic or other?

Username: Ucladtv

Cerritos, California Usa

Post Number: 6
I use tivo and it kicks butt. Tivo rules.
I would not get a dvd with a hard drive.
The only thing they do is allow you to pause and tivo like stuff dduring recording. Also stick with a multi recording and multi playing dvd recorder. And I have never had a problem with DVD-R

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1622
If you want to edit the commercials out before burning to DVD, get a HD, if you don't want to edit, get one without the HD. Copying from TIVO to the DVD recorder will result in significant loss of quality, better to record straight to the DVD recorder.

Cerritos, California Usa

Post Number: 7
Unless dave has a tivo he is not real sure of what he is saying. Technically you will lose some resolution with tivo, but not to much.
Also with a hard drive recorder you have no regular tv functions like pause, stop, season passes. Plus a hard drive in the recorder is just another thing to go wrong

fx
Unregistered guest
"Also with a hard drive recorder you have no regular tv functions like pause, stop, season passes. Plus a hard drive in the recorder is just another thing to go wrong"

Incorrect information!! The reason to have a DVD recorder is so you are able to edit suing, pause, stop and other features. Many DVD recorders with an HDD also have an EPG which offers you nearly all TiVo features except a wishlist.

Gosh those TiVo devotees are obstinate. If a hard drive is just another thing to go wrong why isn't it just another thing to go wrong when one is installed in a frigging TiVo???? How do you think a TiVo records? On 8 track tapes?

xvxvxvx

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1626
He asked about TIVO with a DVD recorder, which I'm guessing pgent777 hasn't ever used. Recording from TIVO to DVD is going to result in significant loss over straight to DVD. It has to go from digital to analog, then back to digital, each step means loss of quality. Digital to analog back to digital always adds artifacts to the copy. Recording on a DVD recorder HD and copying to DVD will give no loss of quality since it's all done digital.

Cerritos, California Usa

Post Number: 8
Ok, I am bad. I use a hdtivo so I have no loss.
Also the reason I go from tivo to dvd on occasion
is because I travel alot, so I use rewritable dvd's to record programs to take on the plane.
Sorry Dave, I have had a dvd recorder for a year and tivo since they came out in 99.and for FX, if you have not used a tivo you have no idea. Maybe that is why us tivo users are so dedicated.
Can a dvdram recorder get you the season pass mgr? Can you look for specific actors? Can you tell it to record only the new shows and not the repeats? Read up and learn about tivo, it kicks butt

fx
Unregistered guest
Can a dvdram recorder get you the season pass mgr?

Yes

Can you look for specific actors?

Yes

Can you tell it to record only the new shows and not the repeats?

Yes again

I needn't look anything up again. As I correctly stated the wish list is all you lose. Understand?????????

xvxvxvx

Bumpy Jenkins
Unregistered guest
boy I'm more confused now than before I looked at this thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us