DVD Recorders & Satellite Systems

Username: Treyba

Monroe, LA United States

Post Number: 1
I am trying to make the best decision. I will be purchasing a DVD recorder very soon. My question is, are the panasonic Hard Drives available compatiable with Dish or Direct TV satellite systems in any way. I will be recording TV shows and would like to put them on DVD. Is it best to just buy a DVD Recorder without the Hard Drive and purchase a DVR or TIVO from the satellite companies or, purchase a DVD recorder with a Hard Drive.

Is there a feature I should be looking for that would make this easier, Panasonic or other?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 107
After using a Panasonic for 2 1/2 years, that is all it lasted, and now using a JVC, I can tell you without a doubt that the JVC is a far superior machine. They have one with a hard drive due out anytime now, if it isn't already. The hard drive recorder would be better than a DVR because it would make exact copies, copying from an outside source wouldn't. You might want to think about an extended warranty if you plan to use it alot. My Panasonic only saw medium usage is all. The drive went out and they wanted $360 to repair it. Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty and ended up getting the JVC as a replacement from the warranty company. Unfortunately that ended that warranty. When I bought the JVC I went to a store that transfers the warranty over to the replacement so it won't happen again.

Username: Treyba

Monroe, LA United States

Post Number: 3
Can you use the JVC or the Panasonic to program Satellite TV Shows and Copy to DVD? If my satellite channels go up to 600, how do the 121 channels available on the Panasonic coordinate with the Satellite? I know that there is such a thing as VCR+ and Gemstar TV Guide on-screen. Is this what is used to tune channels or will the DVD Recorder communicate directly with the Satellite receiver? I am completely lost on how these DVD Recorders work with broadcast stations.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 111
Either will record from a satellite. You have to set the timer on the satellite and on the recorder both. Both recorders have VCR+. The VCR+ doesn't work with my satellite, so I have to set the timer manually. It's basically like setting a VCR timer. VCR+ wouldn't work for me anyway since all I record is movies and Cinemax hardly ever starts movies on time, running over into the next movie block constantly, which means if I used VCR+ I would miss the end of the movie. You wouldn't want to use the DVD tuner, you would want to use an s-video cable or RCA jacks to hook it to the satellite. That will give a better picture and stereo audio, with coax through the tuner audio would be mono. If you wanted to get local channels and don't get them on the satellite, then you would use the tuner for them.

Unregistered guest
Which DVD recording machine do I need to record Digital TV transmissions perfectly and also be able to out put the sound to at least 5 different speakers please . I live in Australia which is where I wishh to record. Thank you and best wishes . Malcolm Webley
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us