Akai 47" RPTV PT4799HD at Costco

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know anything about the Akai PT4799HD 47" Widescreen RPTV going on sale next week for $899? Specifically it is the same as the Samsung 47" only without the HD tuner? More in at www.akaiusa.com, please note this is different from the 42" model. Its not in at the local Costco but they are "expecting them" shortly. Thanks.

Username: Cluelesspa

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 7
if this is the model:

http://www.akaiusa.com/pt4799hd.htm that looks like it is a Projection HDTV and not a DLP type TV

Syed
Unregistered guest
Any reviews?

Garth
Unregistered guest
Some details are on the Costco website now under projection TV.

DavidD
Unregistered guest
I am also looking at affordable HDTV and checked out the AKAI PT4799HD set at the local Costco store. Looks good and very light weight. But I wanted to do some research before purchasing but no reviews out there on that set. So, I called my service man who just fixed my old analog RPTV and he told me that AKAI has Samsung parts in it. He would not recommend any RPTV (DLP excluded) made by Samsung. He stated that parts are hard to find, the sets do not last long, and you are getting older technology. Also, I noticed that I would need some type on cabinet to raise the set up to eye level. Figure on adding a few hundred to the price for a quality piece of furniture. Not so cost effective now. I'll wait for the holiday season for discounts on the better brand name RPTVs.

Username: Ferrisuml

Post Number: 2
Akai = a rebranded Samsung, so what your essentially buying is the HC-P4741W.

For me, the $899 Akai is a perfect stop gap until DLP matures and comes down in price or Plasma longevity increases and comes down in price. And as for the need for a stand offsetting the cost savings, well, I always disliked floor standing models so any HDTV I buy would require a stand. In the future, when I chose to upgrade to a plasma or DLP, I already have the stand covered.

Ill probably be buying the Akai this weekend (no sales tax im MA...woohoo). Ill give some impressions when I get it setup.

Monyet
Unregistered guest
If one were to read the pdf file for the Samsung HCP4741, on page 3 it says, under Connections/HD Component Video Input, that this TV will tune HDTV OTA broadcasts, so for $899 w/o a stand, it might still be enticing as it is. But it sounds too good to be true, so I think its a typo, plus I've scanned the manual and it makes no indication of HDTV tuning capability.

DavidD
Unregistered guest
FYI, on the Sears website, they are selling a TV stand made for the Samsung 43" DLP but the specs look they would fit this AKAI perfect. $60 bucks or so.

Anonymous

I saw this HDTV at a costco. It was playing a Shrek II DVD. The picture is not sharp, and my friends and I think the quality is poor. It's like comparing a glossy photo vs. a matte photo. I think the price is great, but my friends advise me not to get it, instead get the 30" Philips that has a $100 rebate at costco this week -> $599 after rebate. I really wanted to get a 50" TV, and this seems like a good chance, but too bad the quality is questionable. Has anyone experienced the same?

Username: Ferrisuml

Post Number: 3
I saw the tv the other day to and must say I was underwhelmed by the picture. Then I realized they had "Cheaper by the Dozen" playing on a DVD connected to the back of the tv via RF. So, im going to chalk the lousy picture up to "garbage in, garbage out."

Bottomline is, its a $900 HDTV with a fantastic return policy. Get it home and connected to an HD feed and dont like it? Bring it back. Two years down the road and you want to upgrade? Bring it back. Costco's return policy is unmatched by any other retailer. It even rivals the $500 service and protection policies at Circuit City...for free! This is why im going to take the dive...absolutely nothing to lose.

Anonymous

You're right, I noticed the TV was connected to a dvd player by its side.

If you hook up the tv these few days, I'd appreciate it if you tell us here how the picture quality is.

Thanks.

Anonymous

I found out that this model is discontinued at Amazon.com and shopping.com. The problem with COSTCO is that they often carry older models and I am skeptical about buying this one even paying less for it. I am worried about unpacking and retunring it..since its a huge box to carry.

DavidD
Unregistered guest
I am passing on this. FYI, if you leave in MD, and PA area plus some other states, Boscovs.com under Sony Store, they are selling the Sony 46" for $999. Thats a deal, good reviews on Circuit City website and still selling there for $1499. I put my order in online yesterday. For a $100 more over the AKAI you get a better overall deal. Not sure if Circuit City will match but its worth a try for you people outside of Boscov's market area.

Suzy B
Unregistered guest
FYI - We just purchased the Costco TV because as many have said the price makes taking the plunge a little easier. Costco is actually giving an extra $50.00 off because the picture in their ad showed pip but the set does not have this feature. So it is really $850.00. When buyingthe stand don't get the Sears Samsung, the dimensions on the Costco site are incorrect and that stand is too small. The actual dimensions are 44"W x 26"D. Circuit City has a decent stand for $99.00.

Johnny A
Unregistered guest
I just picked up this model from Costco. I don't have a HDTV source but the picture is impressive with a DVD using the component video input. The RF input, well, as said above - garbage in, garbage out. The video input from the satellite box is also nice but not spectacular. Based on what I've seen with other projection TV's, I feel like I've gotten a good deal. And I have 30 days to decide.

TV Maker IV
Unregistered guest
I am involved with producing the 4299 and 4799 tvs...there is no differece between the 42 and 47 or samsung and akai really...except tuner

exact same cabinet, shell(back front covers), screens, CRTs...only difference are the boards

the only real difference is a samsung tag gets snapped on instead of akai or the other way before testing...samsungs usually head to canada and akai to us

Me_TK_MI
Unregistered guest
I purchased the 47' Akai at Costco on Monday. I set it up in the house, and it honestly looks pretty good. Not as good as a grand wega or other high-end LCD/Plasma screens, but at 25% of the price, how can you go wrong? And, yes, Costco does offer a great return policy.

kylechoffman
Unregistered guest
I have a 55 inch high by 46 wide (this is the biggest issue) by 26 deep space and have been looking at this model, the Mitsubishi 48313 from bestbuy for 1199, the toshiba 46 inch and a panasonic from Circuit city from circuitcity for 1259.

Cant decide really, i dont need a stand because i have a prexisting wall unit built into my home.

rixter
Unregistered guest
I am planning on buying this tv from Costco today and would like to hear from someone who has purchased the tv.

optimist2
Unregistered guest
Be careful. The akai does not have DVi or HDMI. The same set as samsung does have these connections and is offered at sams club bundled with stand for 1145. I was about to go to costco but changed my mind.

Unregistered guest
dang, if Sams club were'nt 200 miles from me, I'd be there in a second :o(. Costco is just up the road so...
Anyone know if the Akai/Samsung variant of this TV stretches normal tv to widescreen or does it just put bars up when watching standard tv? I'd like to have the stretch option cause i'll be watching alot of TV on it besides.

KenSD
Unregistered guest
Anyone know how to do the manual convergence on this set?

Anonymous

also thinking of heading to costco to purchase akai 4799. specs state 16:9 ratio. what happens when you playback home video movies? will it automatically "stretch" the screen, creating the "squished" effect?

also, how does ferris feel now that you've had the set at home?

Anonymous

I am thinking about buying the AKAI 47" set to put over my fireplace. Does anyong know how the picture quality will be looking up from a sofa or the kids watching from floor level?

Anonymous

[b]dang, if Sams club were'nt 200 miles from me, I'd be there in a second :o(. Costco is just up the road so...
Anyone know if the Akai/Samsung variant of this TV stretches normal tv to widescreen or does it just put bars up when watching standard tv? I'd like to have the stretch option cause i'll be watching lots of TV on it besides.[/b]

It fills in the content automatically for 16:9 and 4:3 by sensing and eliminating any black areas. However, it only does this through the analog interfaces (if referring to the Samsung Model). If you are purchasing the Samsung and planning to attach a HD Source such as DirecTV or Digital Cable, do not use the DVI interface, as it will not adjust the picture automatically.

Update ... I saw the Samsung version (the one with DVI and HDCP) TV + Stand at Sams clubs (Near Washington DC) last week for $1045

Mostyn
Unregistered guest
I bought this model on Aug 14 2004 from Costco. I had Cox Cable install a HD converterter for $50 and $9,95 per month for the HD service. The picture was fuzzy at the edges. Not in focus. the auto focus function doesn't make it better. I called for warranty service on 9/11/04 Yesterday the serviceman finally arrived. He agreed that only the center was in focus. Parts on order was the reason for the delay. They could not fix the problem after replacing the logic board.

I do not recommend this unit. I am returning it to Costco this week and will buy another brand. I live in Orange county California and expected prompt service as this is not a remote location. I do not fault the repair service as they called me to keep me updated. The problem appears to be with Akai.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us