Dvd -vcr-tv connection problem

Username: Blackwidow

Manchester, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 1
My sister and me are trying to connect up a dvd player through a vcr and the vcr connects to the tv through coax and the dvd player doesn't seem to be showing any image or playing any sound.the vcr sound is mono sound so we had to us a stereo to mono adapter and we hae try going through all the channals and seeing if it work,but it doesn't seem to be working. I've try everything and they don't work.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 102
You can't run a DVD player through a VCR because of the copyguard on the DVDs. It has to be hooked straight to the TV, or you need a stabilizer. You need to set the VCR to line instead of tuner.

Dwight Reva
Unregistered guest
I am not getting a video signal when I connect my JVC DVD player to my Panasonic TV. Niether a s-video cable or regular RCA video cable seem to work. I have tried two different sets of cables The sound is OK.

Username: Anthonyhagan

Astoria, NY USA

Hello, I have a questions for anyone out there. If I have my Tv, VCR, and DVD hooked up and they are working fine fine, does that mean that I can record from DVD to VCR or some special connection has to be done? Please let me know. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Dwight Some DVD players have a switch in the back for component or s-video output.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Anthony No you can't record DVDs without a stabilizer. There are many threads here about stabilizers.

Username: Anthonyhagan

Astoria, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks David, I could not find any threads on that but how much does a stabilizer cost?

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Look for copying DVDs or Videotapes, somewhere in the thread you will find info, also brands. I only paid less than $20 for mine, but I have had it for many years, I don't think you can get them for that now. Copying DVDs takes a better stabilizer than copying videotapes, mine doesn't work very well for DVD to VHS. I've seen many posts here on brands that work well, just look for something on copying DVDs and somewhere in the thread you should find what you're looking for. I think a decent one is $50 to $100.

larryde09
Unregistered guest
I first tried connecting my DVD player through my VCR to the coax on the TV. I of course found that this doesn't work. I then bought a modulator and it worked fine.

I would still like to get my VCR in the loop to record DVDs and route audio to my stereo. I tried connecting the DVD through the modulator, then the modulator's coax out to the VCR in, then VCR out to TV in. This still had the original problems I had routing the DVD through the VCR. If the VCR is connected after the modulator, why am I still getting these video problems?? Isn't that what the modulator is supposed to fix? What can I do to fix it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
The problem is copyguard on the DVDs. You can't run through the VCR without a stabilizer. Look through some threads about copying DVDs or videotapes, you will find the info you need.

John W
Unregistered guest
I have a 4-head Sony VCR, Sony Receiver, and Sony DVD player all hooked up to my Philips TV. For the past couple of years all devices have acted as they should. Recently, however, I have been experiencing recording problems with the VCR. Several times I have taped a show only to find that I only have sound only for the commercials! The picture is fine and the commercial audio is fine. Do you have any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem is?

Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a citizen DVD player. I tried to hook it up to a Toshiba tv set but it doesn't work. help! please

Anonymous

What did you try?? More info on your set-up, cabling, and problem might get better responses. :-)

Unregistered guest
i have a compacks dvd player and when i connect via scart lead to my daewoo 14" tv the screen is black and white and flickers sound is ok could anyone please help

Antonella
Unregistered guest
I just got a DVD player United and try to connect with scart to my TV. The sound is OK but the image is very bad.
Any suggestion?

Unregistered guest
My sony VCR suddenly stopped showing color. The videos are all showing only black and white. The sound is fine. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
HOW DO I HOOK UP A DVD TO A TV THAT ONLY HAS THE CATV COAX PLUG?

Unregistered guest
I'm trying to connect a Sky satellite receiver (2x Scart), a Naiko dvd (1x Scart) via a Sanyo VHS (2x Scart) to a toshiba TV (1x Scart). I have the option of using Coax between VHS and TV. I've been able to switch off the Macrovision on the DVD, and the setup worked fine on myold Toshiba VHS. Can't get anything to work now (either get signal noise / switching on the VHS playback, or I get no audio when viewing the sky channels). at of now I've not yet tried connecting the DVD into the mix - I appreciate I may need to get a Scart box to cope with this, but wanted to try all avenues first.

Unregistered guest
I Have A Sanyo 75 Dvd Player That Has Been Playing Fine....All The 5:1 System Super Etc... However As From Yesterday The DVD's Will Only Play In Black And White...Can Anyone Answer Why And If It Is Possible To Fix It ?
Many Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I Have A Sanyo 750 Dvd Player That Has Been Playing Fine....All The 5:1 System Super Etc... However As From Yesterday The DVD's Will Only Play In Black And White...Can Anyone Answer Why And If It Is Possible To Fix It ?
Many Thanks.

barb12358
Unregistered guest
we are hooking up a panasonic dvd player to a mitsubishi tv. we can get a picture but its in black and white. any advice?

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
How is it hooked up? If using the triple component cables look at the letters on the outputs and inputs, I had a Mitsubishi TV that the colored hookups didn't match the ones on my Panasonic DVD player. If using composite make sure you aren't connected to the component outputs.

barb12358
Unregistered guest
The output is on the dvd and the input is on the tv. The picture is great just no color.

Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect my emerson dvd player to my RCA television through a modulator but i am recieving no image on the screen nor do I hear any sounds can someone please tell me what the problem could be?

Unregistered guest
Hi all,
Looking for hack for Citizen combo JDVD3825 P,
thanks

Unregistered guest
I have an old Mitsubishi TV and now it randomly is showing only black and white when you try and watch something on it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous

Citizen DVD player connected to older model Hitachi TV. When playing, it starts find, then the picture gets really dark and then comes back in several seconds. Any ideas?

Anonymous

I have an old Toshiba surround sound TV twin scarts and the yellow,red and white sockets, also a video, oh and set top box with one scart, and just added a DVD player problem is, can I get the TV to play through the DVD speakers and the TV ones???? NOT SURE WHERE TO PLUG THINGS IN!!!!!
i HAVE A SPARE LEAD WITH RED/WHITE/YELLOW NOT PLUGGED INTO ANYTHING. iF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN TELL ME IN SIMPLE TERMS i WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL.

Ruby2
Unregistered guest
can anyone help please. How do I set up tv sound to come through dvd speakers. x

Marie
Unregistered guest
hello
I'm trying to connect a dvd vcr combo to a tv. Where do I need to connect the cables?

Unregistered guest
Any suggestions? Have nice old JVC TV, with cable converter box. Have DVD running through VCR (with stablizer on) to TV. But get no picture when using the DVD this way, although player is running. Thanks for any advice!

Nan
Unregistered guest
I have a panasonic vcr/dvd combo that I want to hook up directly to the tv (sony vcr/tv). Just want to play a dvd. Please help me with the connection. No cable or antenna involved.

Unregistered guest
have a portable dvd player and when i connect it to the tv, i get a picture but it wont stop scrolling. any ideas?

Unregistered guest
I just got a Daewoo 9200N DVD/CDR-RW/mp3/CD player, which I'm trying to hook up to a slightly older Phillips/Magnavox tv & a cable box (GI CFT2200 - but it's not digital cable). The problem is, I don't think I have Coax or S-video or Optical or components, so I just have the 2 analog audio & one video plugs hooked into the cable box. The player turns on & loads discs, but nothing plays - there is no menu or setup options or anything. I have VCR's (Magnavox & Symphonic) hooked up, which I could route the DVD through, if that's a possibility, but I'm inept at this sort of thing. Please help!

MBaker
Unregistered guest
I have had a DVD player for about a year (Toshiba). I don't play DVDs very often, but in the past I was able to view DVDs, so I must have had it set up correctly(yellow to yellow, etc)

Now, for some reason, I can't get a picture or sound. I can see the time counter on the DVD player running, but nothing.

I have switched to Dish, does that make a difference in settings? I can't remember, is there a particular channel that I need to put the TV on to see movies? The owner's manuel is very little help

myke
Unregistered guest
Will running the signal from a DVD player through a VCR damage any of the DVD players internal components....the image is fine, I was only wondering if it's gonna cost me later on.

Anonymous

i have just got a bush dvd player and have tried to connect it to my old panasonic tv (it has not scart socket) - the only socket i have is the one that currently attaches it to my video (or an aerial can go in it!) - nay ideas how to connect my dvd player to my tv would be great (my video has a scart socket but this didnt seem to work!). None of the leads that came with the dvd player will fit into the tv socket!

Anonymous

We just bought a desay mini dvd player.
We have and older tv with no input jacks.
We also have a vcr.
Could we connect the dvd to play through the vcr.
Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

We have a sanyo vcr. When we tape a program and later on wish to view it we get a picture but no sound. The tv is a Palsonic also how many leads are required to set up the vcr
Gratefull for any help Hazbo

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 241
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: Advice hooking up TV, DVD/VCR, cable, & stereo receiver

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/10874.html

Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16195.html

Message Board: Home Video: VCR: Copy DVD to VHS
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/10082.html

Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: How to Connect VCR, DVD, TV, Home Theatre
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/108159.html

Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 242
I am trying to connect my DVD player to my TV, but it doesn't have video inputs. Can I connect through my VCR?

It is true that the VCR can function as an RF modulator to convert a composite (RCA)video signal into a broadcast signal.

The problem is that DVD players incorporate a copyguard protection system to prevent making videotapes from DVD movies. This can cause various video distortions that render the image useless through most contemporary VCRs. For more info on the copyguard system, please visit:

www.macrovision.com

You can purchase a separate video RF modulator, which will allow direct connection to the TV without distortion.
Most RF modulators have an RF input along with an A/V input so you can connect both a VCR and a DVD player to the modulator and give yourself the ability to watch either component on the TV.
Nearly all contemporary TV's have the necessary Audio/Video connections for a DVD player.

Unregistered guest
i have a one year old mitsubishi 61" projection tv. recently, i purchased a reading magnifier that is supposed to play through the tv. it is essentially a tiny camera built into a mouse-type scanning device, that, placed over print, enlarges it on the tv screen (i am visually impaired). it's supposed to be plugged into the front panel video jack, with another cord plugged into an outlet for power. i can't figure out how to enable the tv to recognize the input from this device in order to use it.. please help. thanks.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 564
allen parsons

hi
i do not know must about a reading magnifier, but i will try to help, but i need more info
does the reading magnifier have a remote or something to comtrol it ????????
what the co and model name ???????????

reson ei ask about remote is i just set up a dvd vcr for my couson, who had a satilitltte sysyem to
i got every to work but not as same time on til i use a remote button to tell dvd vcr machine to find the feed, after the machine found the feed it all work
so if you can give me the info i see what i can find

Username: Chuck_pisano

I hooked up a dvd player to a 27" tv and a portable stero system for sound through the speakers. The sound and picture is perfect...except it is in black & white. I hooked up the Y-Pb-Pr from the tv to the Y-Pb-Pr of the dvd. What am I doing wrong?

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

Iv just baught a second hand pioneer dv626 dvd player and iv connected it direct to my sony tv via a scart cable, when i try to play a dvd however i get no picture, the sound is fine and i can play cd's no problem, i have even tried the video output (2 pin phono) and s-video cable and still no luck. There is no selector switch for output, only a switch for selecting Pal, NTSC or auto, but it makes no difference where this switch is set, still no picture. I can't even access the dvd players menu to try playin with the settings in there!

Any help would be really appreciated.

Jake

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 596
Jake Memery
play a dvd is a lot differnt from playing a vcr
for one you sometime have to change video mode on your tv set to get any form of picture on the tv
the dvd is working right but it not showing up on tv, and even a blue screen when you put a dvd in etc

find the tv/video button on your remote and try each one ontil the the dvd come in
you do not nedd a dvd cd in the player for this
a blue screen, or some form of menu should appear if dvd is send a feed to tv

Unregistered guest
Arnie,
Thanks for the reply. Iv tried playing with just about every setting on both the tv's in my house to try to get a picture but still no luck. Iv tried changing the scart inputs on the tv and flicked through all the tv inputs, tried changing RGB settings etc, still nothing. Im getting very disheartened, im convinced there is nothing wrong with the player but there is nothing more i can do on my tv to try.

Any other ideas?????

Jake

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 600
Jake Memery

does you tv have the 3 audio video plug on back the red white yellow one

Unregistered guest
Hi Arnie,

Yeah it has those connections on the front of the tv. Iv tried connecting the player through those connections, and through the s-video connection, still no picture, just a black screen!!

I really appreciate your help, any other ideas?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a jvc 27 inch TV and a sony DVD player. When I try to conect it through a Component-video conection it only shows black and white. When I use a Composite-video connection it works in color. I would realy like the clairity of Component-video. Any sugjestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 971
If it's like the JVC I had a couple of years ago, the component input is shared with the s-video input and the default for the input is s-video. You have to go into the menus and set the input to component.

Username: Icenfire

I had comcast digital cable installed yesterday prior to that my samsung dvd/vcr combo worked as it should as did my picture in picture. I have a Hyundai Plasma TV. I had comcast come out and rewire it so the picture in picture worked correctly however the vcr/dvd combo still does not work completely. I don't want to call them out again. I can watch videos and dvd's but I have to have the vcr on to even watch the digital cable and I can only record the channel that I am watching. I want to be able to tape other programs while I am watching something else and also for my picture in picture work correctly. How can I connect this so that I may do that.

Anonymous

koss has a dvd home theater at costco for under 200 with vcr in and record out. also you can use some newer dvd to vcr connections if done right without a stablizer; it depends on the impedance that your vrc draws. i have a phillips and an desay (24 at radio shack) dvd player that both allow playback and recording thorugh my vrc; the vcr is the cheap panasonic / quasar brand. the vcr's are hooked up via coax. also some newer tv's (sony jvc samsung) have composite outputs that allow you to record off your dvd player y connectiong your vrc imputs to the tv outs- these are usuallly monitors that are designed to be daisy chained like in a video wall. or just get a vrc dvd combo. my playstation2 also worked well with playing dvds thru my vrc.

Belle
Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up my satellite box and DVD/VCR combo to my mitsubishi WD52725 tv. I can get either the TV or the DVD/VCR combo to work but not if I hook them both up at the same time. Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 629
Belle
a while back i had the same problem connecting up my cousin satelite system and dvd vcr cobo
one would work but not the other, i could wat tv from satellite, or watch dvd video but not at same time
and ther what to record from sateliite to vcr

ok
her the problem dvd vcr cobo not finding the channel, so it can not play what it can not find
here the fix, or at least for me
get you dvd vcr remote
click the menu, to see on screen of tv

find setup, then channel, and then auto channel memory
a differnt screen should come up telling you channel memorizing

that should do it

rsp
Unregistered guest
please help nothing works on my toshiba tv through the yellow input video. PLaystation, dvd players, nothing! The sound works, but not the picture. When i change the channel and put the av channel back on, a little flicker of the picture comes on but then goes after about a second

Gold Member

Post Number: 1181
Try a different cable.

caddybuilder
Unregistered guest
Happy 4th to you all!
I can use some help here as I am unable to get any picture out of the T.V with my 1st DVD player. System specs are:
DVD Player: Magnavox MDV458/17
T.V.: Magnavox TS2752 (a tad long in the tooth)
The T.V has the following connections: 1 (75 ohm) antenna/cable in, 1 yellow video in and 1 red, and 1 white audio in jack.
I use the 75 ohm connector for my basic cable package (no box). I have hooked the DVD up directly to the video and audio in and get nothing. As I can get audio from the dvd if it is hooked up to my stero, I am beginning to think that the age of the T.V is responsible. Anyone here feel the same way?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1262
Set the TV to auxiliary. There should be an input button somewhere.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 637
all so on a tv remoto it can be labeled tv/video

you would have to change mode to watch a dvd video, it a lot differnt then cable or vcr

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 638
and a older tv set can still play and hook up to a dvd player, it just need a extra part

Username: Pimwe

how do i get my vcr to line?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1369
If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels till you get to line.

Unregistered guest
help! i tried connecting my vcr to tv both are panasonic. The picture is okay, but the sound is not working. what should i do?

Unregistered guest
Help! I just recently purchased a new Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42 In. plasma TV. The cable TV works fine but the VCR hook up to Y input in the back gives just black and white picture. The sound is fine. I see other people have posted this issue in the past questions, but never anyone answered it. Please help if you have solved this problem. Thanks, Bentonville, Arkansas

Gold Member

Post Number: 1424
The Y input is part of the triple component inputs for a DVD player. You need to connect the VCR to a yellow composite input.

Unregistered guest
What is the difference between the 2 cables? Green/blue/red and red/white/yellow. Which color corresponds with each other other than the obvious red. Thanks
Barb

Gold Member

Post Number: 1533
Green/blue/red are component cables, for the triple component video connections. Yellow/white/red are for the composite audio/video connections.

Unregistered guest
I have a vcr/dvd player,the problem is with the vcr. it well not auto rewind at end of tape & if u hit rewind it turns everything off when you turn back on it spits the tape out. anyone know what I should do?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us