Problem with a SONY RP - please help

Username: Tunafish

Post Number: 1
Guys, I'm new to all of it - so please help me here!
I just bought a Sony KP57WV600 and verything seemed to be OK. Then yesterday I brought Samsung HD831 (only model I could find in Best buy with upconversion) and I hooked it up thru DVI cable provided. So the thing is - when I play a movie for 10-15 minutes everything is fine, then out of blue, the picture breaks and becomes distortedand sort of oval in the middle with flickering margins. When I switch back to 480p - nothing changes. The only fix is to turn of the TV and turn it back on, to fix this distortion.
Is this my TV? I have spent an hour on the phone with Sony this morning and they are going to call me back.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Leon Westover
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm having similar problem with the 65" V700 set. I have a Samsung SIR-TS160 HD Satellite receiver. TV repair says tv is fine so I had Samsung send me a new(actually a "refurbished" receiver). I still have the same problem. This set up worked fine from Dec 2003 to May 2004. I have 3 settings on my remote where I switch from tv(cable feed) to DVD to satellite. This all begins when using the satellite but this picture you describe remains with the DVD an TV settings until it's powered off. The tv tech has been to my home 3 times, and he has spoke with techs from Samsung and Sony as recent as Thursday 7-29. Sony suggested a couple of power supplies, but the tv tech didn't think so, and had thought he had isolated it to the "board" in the tv which the DVI cable plugs into, but yesterday he ruled it out as there was no difference with the new board. After speaking with Samsung and Sony he then was given a firmware change(by Sony tech support/something they found when researching problems with DVI and distorted picture). It had to do with 9 volts versus 5 volts, a resistor and a jumper. He made the change and it was worse than before. The tv works fine using the component cables and switched to 1080, but I believe I see a difference in the clarity(better with DVI). The tv tech has taken my DVI cable and will try to duplicate the problem on another tv with the DVI capability. Samsung, as expected, says if both their receivers have the same problem, it must be the tv yet the tv tech person can not(as of yet anyway) find a problem with the set. It just looks like it's out of sync. Sometimes after resetting and switching to the satellite setting it looks like it's trying to connect, then you see a snowy picture briefly then all you have is a black screen with the displays(satellite and picture mode) in the upper and lower left corners of the screen. I have seen instances with "colored" snow also. I'll keep you updated, and please do the same. This is getting frustrating. I have digital pictures of my tv screen when it has this distorted picture if you would like to see them(downloaded them to pc to print off and give to tv tech). Thanks. Leon/Marlette Michigan

Unregistered guest
Update: ABL Electronics out of Madison Heights Michigan(North Detroit suburb) took my SIR-TS160 Samsung receiver to ABC Warehouse and hooked my receiver to 2 different sets with DVI connections and it worked perfectly. They have ordered, what they described as, the M board. The M board connects to the board which the DVI cable plugs into. They are telling me that my set, built in Sept 2002, has an M board which needs upgraded. They apparently had attempted this during the one visit to my home(I believe the firmware upgrade I had mentioned in my original post), but they are thinking it didn't "take" for some reason, and that's why they are ordering the new M board. They are more convinced now, after my receiver seemed to work fine on the other 2 sets at ABC Warehouse, that the problem is indeed in the Sony TV. I will let you know if this fixed it. The board takes 3-5 days to get then they will be out to install it.

Thanks,
Leon

Unregistered guest
I have the exact problem that Andy has discribed with the same set. The DVI signal is coming from a Pace Micro 550P cable tuner so it is not the Samsung, it is the Sony set. - Once the problem starts, it happens accross any input. Unplugging the AC or DVI cable to the Pace tuner, or simply turning it off will fix it if you choose to watch component output. -Bill P Florida

Unregistered guest
The sevice center took my receiver to a dealer and hooked it up to a 'newer' Sony(LCD) set and it worked perfectly. The replacement of the 'M' board did not correct the problem. The technician also brought a new DVI cable and it did not correct it either. He is thoroughly confused. He has replaced both boards having to do with the DVI connection to the receiver without success. With the original 'M' board and DVI cable the display in the upper left corner you have for the satellite selection does flicker which according to the service tech indicates it's trying to communicate with the receiver. The new board did not even do this(solid display). He called Sony tech support before he left on Friday 8-20-04 and Sony is turning this over to their engineering staff for follow up. This all began in May(3 months) and we still can't figure it out. It's my first Sony TV, and I bought it because I thought in the display area with other brands it had the best picture(bright and clear). I'm still confused as to why the receiver and TV combination worked flawlessly from December until May before the problem showed up. This would indicate to me the receiver and TV are indeed compatable, and that something in one or the other has failed. The set is currently hooked up with component cables, bypassing the DVD player, with the receiver set to 1080i, and it's working fine. With the original DVI cable, the technician could not get the set to operate in 1080i mode without causing the problem though it would work in 480 and 720(setting on back of Samsung receiver). I will keep updating this. They said Sony will contact the service center by Wednesday 8-25-04. Leon

Unregistered guest
Thank-you for the update. It is odd that your set worked fine for months. My DVI connection works only for an hour at most. Too bad we have not heard from Andy. I have called Sony about this and they stated that they have never heard of a DVI connection problem. I await your follow-up, Leon in the hopes of having something to offer my repairman BEFORE he takes my set. - Bill P - Florida

Unregistered guest
Sony called my service center and stated my receiver needed a patch to update it's software. My receiver shows it was updated on 12-25-03 and that there are NO updates which need to take place(in other words I have the current software loaded). Well I called Samsung anyway, and conveyed this to them. I spoke with the initial helpdesk person who asked a more technical person his opinion. The tech person stated if the setting on the receiver was at DVI and we were using the DVI cable there must be something in the receiver that's bad. I was offered another "refurbished" TS160 and I said I already had one so could I get a new one this time. The helpdesk said they would have to ask their manager. I stated there was also a new set out(TS360) and wondered if I could get one of those since I had spent $599 on my TS160 in December, and now the new receiver is only $299. I finally spoke with the manager and we agreed on, after much conversation, a "refurbished" TS360. I should receive it early this week(Aug 30th), and I will call the service center to come back out and hook it up. I'm willing to bet it won't work, and it's my set that really has the problem. If it DOES NOT work I am going to put a great deal of pressure on Sony for a new set(I have a 5 year extended warranty) because all of THEIR corrective measures to date have NOT helped at all. I will keep you informed. Thanks. Leon

Unregistered guest
Samsung sent a TS160 and NOT the TS360 they said they would. I have a service call scheduled tomorrow(Wednesday 9-8-04), and they are to bring some things to change within the TV. I'll let you know what happens. I called Samsung twicw today, once leaving a voice mail for the manager I spoke with and who authorized the TS360 replacement box, but I did not receive a call back from her. I will try again tomorrow. Leon

NBTT
Unregistered guest
Thank-you for your stick-to-it-tive-ness!
Would have been back sooner with a thank-you except for a small storm that went through here recently. Bill P - Florida

Unregistered guest
You certainly have had enough bad weather Bill. My wife's aunt and uncle live in Lakeland. Well, I was able to get ahold of the manager at Samsung. She was not pleased with the error on the part of the warehouse sending me the wrong unit. She told me this morning she will be sending me a brand new TS360. They are emailing me the return address label and I'll mail it back to them tomorrow. The more I read on this the more it seems to me(I'm certainly NO electronics expert)the problem has something to do with the HDCP(copy protection attributes of the receiver and TV when using the DVI cable). When I receive the new receiver I will be calling for a reschedule of the appoinment cancelled today by ABL Electronics. Sony is sending them a new board as they are not certain if the previous one(don't know which board) was a current version and may not have contained updates to work with the receiver. I'll keep you posted. Thanks. Leon

NBTT
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Leon. Based on my experience, I strongly suspect my Sony. I think they poorly implemented DVI in its early stages. As the set is two years old, there was not much to plug in and little was discovered. OTOH, Sony was straight ahead with their flicker issue and are covering that beyond the one year. They did for me. But they claim to know nothing about a DVI issue. -Bill in Florida

Unregistered guest
I have the "new" 360 Samsung HD Receiver as of last Monday. The service man hooked it up(without changing anything on the Sony set) and we got HD TV through the DVI cable. He thinks it was the receiver all along. I didn't want to add another post out here until it had played for a while. Well, guess what?. This morning(Mon 10-11-04), one week since we thought the problem was corrected, it showed up again. I had the TV on the audio channels listening to music when suddenly there was no sound. I was in another room and when I went to the family room to look at the TV there was my picture all shrunk to the middle again. I have called the TV repair center again and they will be out Friday afternoon. Check out www.hometheaterspot.com. I was looking at this site and it had some type of FAQ's or discussion board and there was a person who had the same senario as me(160 then 360) with the shrunken picture. Check it out. The one person(forum name of ByteHauler) said he was a service person and had access to the Sony website for service bulletins. He had 2 repair senarios, and said this other persons set(Sony 57wv700 model) uses a DA-4X chassis and it has over 50 service bulletins and service tips listed for it. Thanks. Leon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us