Panasonic DMR-E85HS questions

Linder
Unregistered guest
Dumb question, perhaps, but:

Most reviews mention editing programs before burning them to disc, but can you edit them and just leave it on the hard drive for some time, or is it only possible to edit as part of the burning process?

If I record something that's 2 hours and only want to save 5 minutes of it, I can delete the rest and leave it on the hard drive for however long I want without having to burn it to a disc?

Also, what's the difference between this product and the DMR-E100HS model? It has the same amount of hard drive space and seems to have all of the same functions, but it's substantially cheaper. Am I missing something?

Username: Thunder2004

Post Number: 6
HI.

The difference with the E100 model is the hardrive is larger(not sure of the exact amount). THe other difference i believe is the 100 as firewire which is supposedlt better for dubbing home movies onto DVD.

The answer to your other question is YES if you record 2 hours of programming and you only want to keep 5 mintues of it keeping it on the hardrive there is an edit option within the HDD options. Just read the manual and there is specific instructions on how to do this. I love this machine its the best electronic product I have ever used or owned!!

Linder
Unregistered guest
Thank you for the response!

From everything I've read the 100 and 85 models both have a 120 GB hard drive. *shrug* I don't need the firewire hook-ups, so the cheaper model is the one I'll go with.

Thanks again.

davebates
Unregistered guest
Hi
Can anyone help just brought a inspiron 5150 wanted to copy a dvd.It copied to a temp file ok but when i put in a new blank dvd-r it keeps ejecting and asking for a dvd to be put in anyone please

sue/dave

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 154
Can't copy prerecorded DVDs because of copyguard.

Username: Viny4u

New york, NY USA

Post Number: 1
hello, considering to buy newest Panasonic DMR E95 DVR with 160GB Hard drive for security purpose.substituting for existing VCR. Question is can i record on these machine continuously for lets say 24 hours or 200 hours in xp mode ?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"Question is can i record on these machine continuously for lets say 24 hours or 200 hours in xp mode ?"

No, the Pannys will record 8 hours continous then stop automatically. You can however program 3 consecutive 8 hour programs to record on a daily basis and acomplish one of your goals. You will also lose about a minute of data between timer transitions.

It will not record 200 hours in XP mode. You should be able to get close to 280 hours in EP mode or @141 in LP or 71 in SP or close to 35 in XP mode.

xvxvxvx

Username: Viny4u

New york, NY USA

Post Number: 2
thank you for your answer.but this generates another question i.e. how many programs i can program at a time? i do not want to attend this machine every day or so. thanks again

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" how many programs i can program at a time? i do not want to attend this machine every day or so. thanks again"

Up to 99 I believe. Plus you can have the programs repeat daily, weekly or only on specific dates. You will not need to tend the machine too carefully except to monitor when the disk is getting full. For that matter you can have the recorder record over prior identical timed programs. In other words suppose you tape a 1 hour show everyday at 4:00 pm then watch it that night. You do not need to erase the program if you program the E-85 to record over the prior days recording.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

xvxvxvxv,

How you you record the E-85 to record over the prior days' recording? I called Panasonic and was just told (snottily) that that could not be done.

Anonymous

I meant, how do you PROGRAM the the E-85 to record over the prior days' recording?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"I meant, how do you PROGRAM the the E-85 to record over the prior days' recording?"

I apologize for the mistaken information. I own an E-80 and an E-85. You cannot perform this function on the E-85 as you could on the E-80. Excuse me for my mixing up the operations between the two models.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Thanks, but wow. It is listed in the technical specs at

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=11251&c atalogId=11005&itemId=70437&catGroupId=11058&displayTab=S&surfModel=DMR-E85HS&su rfCategory=DVD%20Recorders

When you go to
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/dvd_recorder/dvd_recorder.asp

You see this feature described. If you click on the link for "View all models with this feature," the DMR-E85H model is one DVD recorder that Panasonic represents as having this feature.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelListByAttribute?sto reId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=63096&catGroupId=11058&attributeId=16387

You seem to be confirming what the techs at Panasonic have stated. But your information is incosistent with Panasonic's own websites.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"You seem to be confirming what the techs at Panasonic have stated. But your information is incosistent with Panasonic's own websites."

Yeah, hard to imagine the Panny techs finally got it correct for once. I like you have little respect for their ability to be very helpful.

I read the links and agree they state the feature is activated. However I have the manual as a .pdf file on my PC and read thru it without finding the option mentioned at all. You got me brother!

The .pdf file can be accessed below:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=11251&c atalogId=11005&itemId=70437&catGroupId=11058&displayTab=R&surfModel=DMR-E85HS&su rfCategory=DVD%20Recorders

Just click on the "operating Instructions link on this page.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

xvxvxvxv,

You seem insistent that the feature does not exist on the DMR-E85H. But Panasonic still advertises this feature on its website. You seem more knowledgeable than Panasonic, but you state you arrive at your conclusion because there is nothing in the DMR-E85H manual. Could it be that the feature is there but that it is not described in the manual?

Let's agree that (1) we should be suspicious of the Panasonic techs since their track record is abyssmal and (2) the manual for the DMR-E85H says nothing about the autorenewal recording feature.

Have you actually tried the procedure used for auto-renewal recording described in the DMR-E80H manual on the DMR-E85H? Clearly, there is no such feature described in the manual for the DMR-E85H.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"Have you actually tried the procedure used for auto-renewal recording described in the DMR-E80H manual on the DMR-E85H? Clearly, there is no such feature described in the manual for the DMR-E85H. "

If you owned both these units you would not need to ask this question. There is no similarity at all between the two units when it comes to setting a manual recording timer.

As an alternative try it yourself and see for sure since you do not believe me.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

thanks.

I don't own both units. So, as a result, I don't even know what to try on the DMR-E85H to confirm that it does not have that feaure.

Which unit do you like better?

Although I did not think it possible, my opinion of Panasonic just dropped lower than it was. (My regard for you remains quite high. Thank you.)

c3pham
Unregistered guest
can you record two shows/programs at once?

Anonymous

Is there any DVD records which you can back-up DVD's? All models I see only are able to copy VHS tapes. Thanks LeRoy

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"can you record two shows/programs at once?"

No...

"Which unit do you like better? "

I prefer the E-80 for ease of setting the manual timers but the E-85 has 4X dubbing so a single disc in 2 hour SP mode is fully dubbed in 14 minutes vs nearly an hour for the E-80.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

If I record 5 hours on the DVR but when I put a DVD disk in it states there is not enough room, how do I split the recording onto two dvd's ?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You have several choices. The easiest is to use the divide function and cut the recording in half then record to two dvd's. An alternative is to dub using FR, then you can record up to 8 hours worth of video onto a single DVD (although at a drastically reduced bit-rate) on the E-85 or up to 6 hours on the E-80.

Another choice that leaves the original recording intact on your recorders HDD is to use playlists to seperate and dub to multiple DVD's.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

question for mr xvxvxvx

i just got a e85, am in NZ.

Problem i have is that when I play a saved title on the HDD, it won't stop when it gets to the end, it just goes on to the next one. (not so good when going from teletubbies to csi, say).

Panasonic (NZ) say this shouldn't happen, never heard of it. Shop said same thing.

Seems a basic thing... is it some setting somewhere? (I can't seem to find anything in manual)

Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
My E-80 and E-85 both do the same thing Mr. New Zealand. I like the feature myself but to each his own. As far as I know all Panasonic models do the continous play from the HDD. Am not sure why Panasonic thinks this is unusual, you must have got a poorly trained CS rep.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Could someone please tell me if the E85H is capable of chapter menus inside of the top menu,I have heard some recorders do that,but I cant seem to figure out how to do it on mine?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
If you mean a seperate thumbnail for distinct chapters on a single recording on your DVD it cannot be done. You can add chapter marks at specified intervals prior to finalizing the disc. If you must have seperate chapter thumbnails you must either copy the DVD from a playlist or use the divide program function on the HDD prior to dubbing to the DVD. You can then have seperate chapters on your DVD and a thumbnail for each chapter.

xvxvxvx

aw canada
Unregistered guest
Just got an E85h and it does run great for recording TV shows to HDD. I shortened a show and wanted to Dub to a (TDK)DVD-R, the unit tells me to insert correct media into the machine. Is this unit tempermental with regard to the type of DVD-R used???

aw canada
Unregistered guest
Just got an E85h and it does run great for recording TV shows to HDD. I shortened a show and wanted to Dub to a (TDK)DVD-R, the unit tells me to insert correct media into the machine. Is this unit tempermental with regard to the type of DVD-R used???

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Is this unit tempermental with regard to the type of DVD-R used???

Yes it is somewhat finicky but I do not think that is your problem. Before you go to the "dubbing" screen be sure the blue light on the front of your recorder is lit and not the amber light. The blue light shows you are reading from the HDD and will then dub to your DVD. If you begin in this manner the unit will always default to the correct initila settings in the dubbing menu. Of course this can be corrected by changing the "to/from" settings in the menu but that is an easy step to overlook.

Personally I have never used TDK media in either my E-80 or E-85. I purchase Maxell, Sony or Panasonic media made in Japan (not Taiwan) and have had zero coasters after burning over 200 DVD's.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
How do I keep my DMR-E85HS from stretching horizontally all shows to fit my widescreen TV? I like to watch undistorted TV. Even shows that broadcast in widescreen are further stretched so they appear letterboxed.

Unregistered guest
I have a new panasonic DVD recorder which I am trying to mix with a standard VCR, cable tv unit,
and a 6 year old Sanyo TV. Panasonic suggested I split the cable line coming in which I did, but I cannot get everything to work. I just want to play either the DVD recorder or the VCR thru the TV and be able to watch cable TV thru that same TV please tell me how to make these connections. I want to learn before I go buy a better TV, etc
Thanks, Tom DAnnunzio, Largo, Fl

Unregistered guest
Hi -- I'm loving my new DMR-E85HS but I can't seem to figure out how to preserve the chapters I've set within a title when dubbing from the hard drive to a DVD-R. After I made a 3-hour HD recording I went back and inserted over 40 chapter markings, but the dubbed DVD-R I made seems not to have kept them. I"ve tried doing this twice, once following the manual's instructions for One-Touch Transfer and once after creating a play list for the title (the play list seemed to recognize the chapters I had made). Do I have to divide my recording up into 40+ titles before I dub it from the hard drive? I hope not, since that would be very time-consuming and introduce an unnatural pause between chapters. Any heads-up to an alternative would be appreciated. Thanks!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You are confusing a chapter mark with a seperate thumnail. Pannys do not add a thumbnail for each chapter. You were correct in order to do that you must either divide the title or use playlists to copy to your DVD.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
If I want to just record a football game or race,watch it then discard it would it be better to buy a DVD recorder with a hard drive (E85S) or could I get that same feature with the 75s dvd/vhs combo. If I could get out of copying to a disc, just using the machine storage, it would be great.

Username: Venik

Ny, Ny

Post Number: 4
Can the E85 record audio CDs? It is not clear from the manual.
Would be nice to play them in my car player, which does not play DVDs.

Unregistered guest
I have two problems with my DMR-E85H.

1. When I want to Dubbing to a DVD-R, at starting dubbing the recorder begins SELF CHECk. It lasts about 1 minute. Than an error message appears on the TV screen: dubbing is failed, check the disc. When I press Enter (no other choice) sometimes it happens again. After that the dubbing commences, and the recording will perfect. I use new TDK disc in perfect conditions.

2. The another problem is DVD-RAM handling. I have some DVD-RAM discs, that the recorder won't handle. When I want to copy on it, or even I want to format it, the DMR85 says: disc is protected. But it is not, because in the Disc menu it is unprotected. These are non-cartridge disc, so I wonder why can't format them my DMR85H. My PC handles them correctly.

Please help. Thanks.

Jozs

Anonymous

The remote for my E85H (two weeks old) stops working after about two hours of viewing shows previously recorded. Must hold the remote a foot away from the unit to get it to respond, next morning it is fine. Changed batteries to no avail. I use the CM feature while viewing to skip commercials. Any ideas that don't include returning the unit?

coop
Unregistered guest
Dumb question...is it possible to view programs using the cable box with the E85H turned off? All my other VCR's had a "pass thru" that eneabled you to not have the VCR powered on. Seems to me that since I watch TV 95% of the time without recording anything, it would shorten the life of the DMR to have it on every time just to watch TV.Thx.

Unregistered guest
I'm interested in buying the Panasonic DMR-E95, but was wondering if you can transfer material from DVD-Ram onto the hard disc and then out onto a DVD-R disc? Any advice on this would be much appreciated! Thanks. Nigel

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Nigel,

Yes you can as long as the material recorded on the RAM disc is not flagged copy once via the new 5C digital copy protection standards.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a DMR-E85HS. In trying to record a family video onto either the HDD or direct to DVD-R it reached a point after about 30 minutes where it says it can not record because the material is copyrighted. Somehow it is erroneously recieving an encoding signal. Why is this happening?

Username: Robimlaw

Post Number: 6
I know in earlier postings some people mentioned their screen freezing and changing colors when they were trying to get out of TV Guide mode in their DMR E85. This is the second one I've had that had the same problem so it wasn't just my first machine. Aside from having to reset when this happens, does anyone know another workaround? Is this just a glitch with all the E85s?

Bronze Member

Ny, Ny

Post Number: 14
Read and use the information in
http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm

Username: Robimlaw

Post Number: 7
Alex: thanks for the tip. I think it was a very interesting article and more in-depth than I could've ever imagined. However, Roger's glitch had to do with his ability to "divide." Do you think that is related to the TV Guide freezing up? I know it probably doesn't hurt to upload the Upgrade CD and find out. The reason I ask is that he states that uploading is probably not necessary for those units manufactured after 8/04; mine was manufactured in 11/04. I have a feeling that my problem is different from what Roger was addressing. Thoughts?

Unregistered guest
I cannot get to the screen to finalize the DVD-R after dubbing a TV show. I have tried everything. The book w/ the e85h is quite vague. What could I be doing wrong?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Your blue light on the E-85 is lit. Press the DVD button on your remote and the amber light will light. You can then finalize your DVD.

Pretty amazing huh? Just like I have a camera in your living room!!

xvxvxvx

Username: Muleskinner

Mt Jackson, Virginia USA

I just purchased a DMR-E85H for use in a church setting. We hook our PV-DV53D camera directly into the L2 input and record direct to the hdd. After the service I do a quick dubb onto a DVD-R so one of the members can take it home and make copies for distribution. The DVD I give him ends up showing as copy protected so he can only make VHS tapes from it. He can't even make DVDs from the tape. Most of our copies need to be DVDs. I'm stymied, please help!

Peas
Unregistered guest
If he doesn't have a Panasonic recorder too he cannot copy your DVD to his recorder.

Peas

Lostin Calif
Unregistered guest
We have a DMR-E85H, and I can't even get to first base on burning DVDs. I haven't made ONE! I know it can be done, so I need a tip or two.

When dubbing a play list in SP mode, the display says "DUB" and everything looks OK. After about a minute, the screen goes blank, the display says "BYE" for a second, then "SELF CHECK" for a minute, then "L3" (default input, no TVGuide), then "BYE" and "SELF CHECK".

Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Anonymous

Help a novice!

This is all very new to me. I think I have it set up correctly, and have recorded to both the DVD and the hard drive, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to finalize the disk! The disk will play on the DMR-E85HS, but of course, if not finalized, I can't move it to another DVD player and get it to read, similar to unfinalized CDs on my Phillips dual-drawer CD burner. The instructions say to press the <,> buttons, but nothing happens. Am I supposed to be on the top menu when I do this? Why can't Panasonic just put a button on the remote that says 'finalize'?!?!?
I haven't been able to get through to the phone help line yet, so I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance!
Arby

Username: Arby

Plymouth, Minnesota USA

I think I have it figured out, and I'm almost wondering if my model number is something different from the manual and the name DMR-E85H! (just kidding). The manual is one of the worst I have ever encountered.

I stumbled on how to finalize on this machine, and got it to work by selecting:

Functions
Disc Setting
and
Finalize

After selecting finalizing, I had to confirm that I wanted to go ahead with it twice. I had filled two discs yesterday, and I finalized them this morning. They work on my other brands of DVD players, so I'm good to go!

Arby

Unregistered guest
I burned a DVD on an iMax 10.4.1 computer using iDVD5. It does not play on my Panasonic DMR-E85H but does on several basic DVD Players. When using
Roxio Toast for the burn, there is no problem. Can you tell me how to play this on the Panasonic.

Unregistered guest
I purchased a DMR-E85H about a month ago. I taped some shows on the HD and also did some transfers from my old beta tapes to HD. Now, I'm ready to burn the shows onto a DVD-R.

I used the shortcut function and took out all the commercials and unwanted parts. I made thumbnails and chapter name for each episodes.

I've read the manual over and over again..but I still can't figure out how to burn it onto DVD-R.

This is what I've done so far. This is first DVD-R i'm burning.

1) Functions / Dubbing

I added the episodes I wanted to dub

2) Mode

It won't let me select high speed

3) Create List

4) Set and start dubbing

My question....

The show is being played as it is dubbing.... so for a 1 hour show, it is taking 1 hour to dub? How do I do this faster? I'm using 4x DVD-R. Do I need to buy a different type of disc?

Ok.. I just finished my first 'test' disc. The thumbnail came out beautifully :-) but I really need to know how to record faster.

Thanks for all your help!

Unregistered guest
I just realized the thumbnail saved on the DVD is not the same one that I had on the HDD. Does it transfer the thumbnail automatically when dubbing?

fx
Unregistered guest
If you are dubbing titles initially recorded to the HDD at different speeds you cannot high speed dub. This my guess is your problem. You did not say what speed it woiuld let you set to dub. If It said FR you are recording more data than the disc can hold in the initial recording qualities.

Keep this in mind:

XP = 1 hour 5 minutes max to disc
SP = 2 hours 10 minutes max to disc

You can change the thumbnail on the DVD-r after dubbing and before finalizing.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I was able to dub at XP & SP. I did not try the other speed yet.

The tv programs was recorded to the HDD at LP while the home videos was recorded at SP.

So if i want to high speed dub, I would need to record to HDD at a high speed?

Is there anyway to keep the same thumbnail? A different thumbnail comes out from what I initially set it.

Unregistered guest
I want to keep the same thumbnail I had set in the HDD. Is there anyway to keep it after I dub it?

fx
Unregistered guest
Nancy,

You must first have the high-speed dub flag set when recording to the HDD in order to dub to a DVD-r in high-speed mode.

As I said before:

"You can change the thumbnail on the DVD-r after dubbing and before finalizing."

So just change the thumbnail after the dub and not before.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Hi fx,

I understand you can change the thumbnail on the DVD-R after dubbing and before finalizing... but I already set the thumbnail I wanted so I was just wondering if there's a way to keep this same thumbnail.

Also, seems like the thumbnail I set before finalizing is not permanent...meaning if later I want to make another copy of the same shows, I will have to reset the thumbnail again.

fx
Unregistered guest
No to question #1 and correct on your assumption.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Thanks fx.

Now i have a stupid question .... hehe... how do you turn on the high-speed dub flag before recording something to HDD?

Also, do you also set the speed (LS, SP, etc) to the higest available?

Thanks again!

Anonymous

I just got a DVD recorder and trying to figure out how to hook up to a DVR HD cable box and HDTV. Can anyone help? do you have to use a VCR - the instructions for hookup that came with the Panasonic DVD recorder only shows that setup.

fx
Unregistered guest
"how do you turn on the high-speed dub flag before recording something to HDD? "

See Page 41 of your operators manual.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I was playing around with the machine and came across the setting for high-speed dub.

Is there any reason why there's an option to turn high-speed dub on or off? I mean why did they even give you a choice? would it be better if it was ALWAYS on?

fx
Unregistered guest
Not exactly precocious are you Nancy?

When on it enables you to high speed dub to DVD-r. It also restricts your recording to a 4:3 ratio. If you are recording an anamorphic movie to your HDD and you wish it to remain in it's OAR then you should turn the option off. However you must then real-time dub it to a DVD'r if you wish to archive the movie.

Now please do not ask me what OAR or anamorphic means OK? :-)

xvxvxvx

Steve Dyke
Unregistered guest
I purchased a E85HS recently. I have my digital cable box connected to TV as Cable B input and also looped thru the 85 unit as receiver input (cable A input is just basic cable without digital box). My problem is that when I turn the 85 unit off and just watch cable B input (because the guide is more user friendly) something(???) changes my station to 78 (MSNBC News channel). I can change the channel back to what I was watching, but in 20-30 seconds it goes back to channel 78. I assume the 85 is doing something with the guide, but why always back to the same channel? and is there a way around this? Thanks. Steve

fx
Unregistered guest
The E-85 is going to the channel with your TV Guide Plus download information. Actually it is seeking the data but you are changing the channel back before it has time to search the next channel. Either leave the recorder on or remove the IR blaster from in fornt of your STB or go into your setup menu for the TV Guide and tell it you have cable but no cable box.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Hi fx,

I thank you for all your help! I will admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this topic..but I thought that is what the forums are about? For people to ask question??

Bronze Member

Ny, Ny

Post Number: 23
I recorded some home movies on the E85, and finalized it. When I tried to view it on a Windows XP machine, it complained that some decoding software was missing. Does anyone know what I need? The DVD played fine on a regular DVD player.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi fx,

I have spent the past two nights fussing with the E85 dubbing feature. I have to this point dubbed numerous programs from my HDD to various brands of DVD-R disks, when suddenly Sunday, I received the message cannot read disk. I put in several more disks, turned the unit off, unplugged it and finally, reinitialized it, to no avail. I have received several error messages asking me to hit enter and then I will get either the message cannot read disk, check disk or disk is unrecordable (incompatible media.

It will read and play commercial disks but will not record either via dubbing or timer recording on any blank dvd-r media. I attempted to add the firmware update but it wouldn't read the cd disk.

Is this a hardware problem or is it something I can fix with some key controls?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

fx
Unregistered guest
Renee,

It appears you have a bad batch of Discs. Just because one batch of a specific brand works once the next batch (or even another disc in the samker batch) may very well be bad.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
That's what I thought also, so I tried three different batches. The TDK and Imation spindle were no good at all which I had heard was a general problem with spindle disks. I then tried a TDK DVD-Ram disk which also didn't work. Finally, I tried a single packaged Maxell DVD-R disk which initially was read but aborted during the dubbing process. After that the machine went into a neverending looping of "Please Wait"/"Self Check" until I finally unplugged it for an hour and was able to record on the Hard Drive. I guess tonight I will pick up some Panasonic disks which I had been advised to do and try those out before I take the machine into a service center.

Thanks again for your help.

rms

Bronze Member

Ny, Ny

Post Number: 24
What decoding software (codex?) do I need in order to view finalized DVD-R disks on a Windows XP machine?
Thanks,

Unregistered guest
I've hired an E85H for taping the Tour de France, and up to yesterday everything has been successful, but now I can not erase anything from the HDD or edit, there is no protection on the individual recordings, the edit mode just does not remove the section edited and the erase puts up a message "cannot erase". Any ideas, besides formatting the disk and starting over? I'll have to record straight to DVD and edit latter, until I get time to DUB all the programs stored that I want from the HDD as space is nearly filled.

Unregistered guest
i have the e100 and i am having trouble finalising my home movies i also cant dub them in high speed. i recorded them straight off my camcorder to the hard drive then dubbed them cutting out the bits i didnt want i am left with approx 4 hours of film,which ive managed to put on i disc (dvd-r)but i dont know how i done it i want to do another 5 copies i can dub them in slow speed but then it wont let me finalise the disc???? please can you help

Clay
Unregistered guest
why can't I see the TV guide listings? Says no listings available. Any thoughts?

WWSmith
Unregistered guest
I have a perfectly legit DVD that will play on various neighbours DVD players. My DMR-E85H will not recognize it. Just says cannot play. All other discs purchased etc., or recorded play fine. Is their some setting I can change to allow me to read this disc which all other el cheapo players seem to be able to play?

My last Panasonic purchase for sure.

Unregistered guest
I divided a show into three chapters. I specifically wanted to keep one chapter and erase the other two. What I did was to erase the one chapter that I wanted. Is there ANY way that I can get this chapter back?

fx
Unregistered guest
"I divided a show into three chapters. I specifically wanted to keep one chapter and erase the other two. What I did was to erase the one chapter that I wanted. Is there ANY way that I can get this chapter back? "

Nope, none at all, unless the original source is available then you must do the initial recording over again.

xvxvxvx

Lee Murrah
Unregistered guest
Regarding the channel change mentioned by Steve Dyke. Mine does the same thing only it bumps the channel each time. If I understand fx's post correctly, this is the E85's search for the TV Guide listings. Once it finds the listings, does it search only that channel in the future? Since this is annoying, can I control when it does the downloads? Is there any way to identify the channel it is looking for?

fx
Unregistered guest
"Once it finds the listings, does it search only that channel in the future? "

Nope, it will always search in this manner. I'm sure this was done to prevent customer complaints in case they either moved or the local guide data was moved to another channel. Yes it is annoying. My solution was to simply plug the coax directly into the E-85 and then guide data is loaded without using the IR blaster to select the STB channels. This eliminates the channel changing on the STB when the Panny is off, allows you to record an analog channel on the E-85 while surfing any digital or analog channels at the same time on your display while your E-85 is recording.

The above just requires a 2 way splitter and an extra piece of RG-59.

xvxvxvx

PS: There is a method of getting into the Gemstar TV Guide hidden sub menus which will show what channel it is using to download the program data. I might post it sometime in the future but it really isn't useful since there is nothing you can do about it. Even setting your STB on the correct channel when turning the E-85 off does not help, the Panny begins it's usual search patter no matter what you try. At any rate just see what channel your STB is tuned to when you wake up in the morning and that is the one used to download the data as long as you did not have a reminder or recording programmed that would have changed the channel since the download. This is like knowing how a jet engine works when all you want to do is fly from Dallas to New York, not necessary and generally useless information if you are just a passenger.

WWSmith
Unregistered guest
Oh well.

Balsie
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how you can record digital channels through a digibox onto a Panasonic HDD recorder ? I can record but only if the digibox is on that channel - this is OK if you only want to record 1 channel, but what if you want to record something else later on, on a different digital channel, while you are out ??

fx
Unregistered guest
Two ways, one is to set a manual timer on both the Panny and on the digibox. If the digibox (never heard of it before though) has no internal timer/reminder feature (which would be very rare) then you must use the IR blaster feature of the Panny.

PS: You do realize you can't record an incoming digital signal right? DVD recorders only accept an analog input, period. I mentioned this due to the way you phrased your question above.

xvxvxvx

darknova
Unregistered guest
I just bought this thing and can't see the finalize and am really frustrated with this thing. I've read some of the help above and yes the orange light is on, but when i go to functions >>> disc management menu i only see 'Disc name', 'disc protection; and 'format disc'. where is finalize?!?

Unregistered guest
Hi, quick question on the DMR-E95. Can I use a non-cartridge DVD-RAM for recording? Or is it mandatory to use the cartridge-based ones?

Thanks.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Hi, quick question on the DMR-E95. Can I use a non-cartridge DVD-RAM for recording? Or is it mandatory to use the cartridge-based ones? "

A non cartridge RAM works just fine. In fact you can remove the RAM disk from a RAM cartridge and it works, no problem. The advantage to having the cartridge is it is not subject to as much damage from physical abuse as a simple RAM disc.

xvxvxvx

Toni Cronin
Unregistered guest
New TV Guide features causing U99?

I did the firmware upgrade a while back and had no problems until now. I noticed some differences in the TV Guide feature (new promotions listed) and all of a sudden I'm getting the U99 error. Anyone else?

WWSmith
Unregistered guest
Firmware upgrade? Hmm. How, where, what?

Please explain.

Thanks

md1932
Unregistered guest
darknova asked:
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:39 am:
I just bought this thing and can't see the finalize and am really frustrated with this thing. I've read some of the help above and yes the orange light is on, but when i go to functions >>> disc management menu i only see 'Disc name', 'disc protection; and 'format disc'. where is finalize?!?

This is easy but not well documented in the manual. Before you go to the function menu to get to the finalize option, you MUST have the drive select set to DVD (not HDD)

WWSmith
Unregistered guest
Thanks so very very much everybody.

Toni Cronin
Unregistered guest
Sorry WWSmith - I lost my internet when I moved -just got it back. Here is an article that explains it all.

http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm

The U99 error has not showed up at the new house. I have my fingers crossed.

Unregistered guest
Thanks. We bought our machine Boxing Day sale 2005 so I imagine we have updated firmware.

This still doesn't explain however why it won't read a DVD that all other players around will read, but this is a start.

I have copied off your commands.

Thanks again

Anonymous

Has anyone found a way to make the e85 multi region without having to buy one of those unlocking remotes?
Mines currently set to region 2 but I have lots of region discs I can't get to work :-(

Username: Spartacs

I have a question regarding the Panasonic DMR-E85H. I have recorded about 300 DVD's so far on this thing and everything has gone pretty good. I have been using Sony discs and have only had 1 bad disc so far. My problem is that it seems that since the very beginning about 1 out of every 3-4 discs has a problem with it's volume. Either they are recorded at such a low volume that I have to crank to volume to almost full blast to hear it, our even worse the volume will go up and down throughout the whole disc. Is there something I have set wrong on the unit? This happens with both things I tranfer in from my VCR as well as the things I record from my Tivo machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BY the way, I usually only record 2-2 1/2 hours of video per disc. Please e-mail responses to me at spartacus@core.com if possible as I do not get on-line very often to surf the groups. Thanks in advance!

Jeff 1
Unregistered guest
Panasonic dmr-e85h
I give up. (which isn't easy for me)
How do you finalize a disc once info has
been dubbed from the HDD?
I have tried everything and
can't get to the finalize choice.

Username: Mikej

I own a DMR-E85H recorder, Sony 34 inch HD widescreen and cannot get the tv listing to appear or record any channels. I have the Comcast motorola box and have been told by Comcast that you cannot record through their box. Any advise on how I can record?

fx
Unregistered guest
Mike, record using either an S-Video cable or RCA cable from your STB to your Panny. You will need a seperate audio connection as well, either optical, coax or RCA.

Jeff 1, You must first press the DVD button on your remote to get to the screen that allows you to finalize your DVD-r disc.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Does Anyone know, how to change panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E85H to multi region ?.

Username: Rustyviewer

I have heard a rumour or two that the EMR-85H can actually write to DVD-RWs! This is an undocumented feature but so far I haven't been able to get it to work. Does anyone else know anything about this please?

Username: Rustyviewer

Post Number: 2
I've just tried a firmware update and it says "unsupported" which means it already has the latest updates. This is not necessarily good...

I bought my machine in about Feburary. Since then I have had a number of one-off glitches.

1. Once (on automatic timer) it suddenly stopped recording for exactly five minutes and then started up again, creating a new file so I missed a couple of scenes (pity it didn't do it during an ad break). It had first stopped recording after exactly 50 minutes and it was set to record for about 70 minutes. This problem hasn't happened since.

2. Once when I went to switch the machine on, it got stuck in a loop which self-checking and, in the end, I had to pull the plug out of the wall and then plug it in again. After that it was fine and I haven't had that problem since either.

3. Once, when a program was being recorded with the automatic timer, I switched the machine on to discover the color was skewered and unwatchable. The solution was to switch the AT off (during an ad break) , then switch the machine off and on again and then the color was fine so I switched the AT back on. But everything that had been recorded up to then had that skewered colour and I had to switch my TV to B&W to make it watchable. I suspect it is because it decides how much color to input automatically when it switches on and I had an old VCR two shelves down which also started recording another channel at the same time and this somehow caused technical interference at a crucial moment. Again, this problem hasn't happened since but I haven't had both machines start recording at the same time since either.

4. Once only, I have had a situation where a program I recorded fereze-framed after about 20 minutes. I had to fast-foward to get through it. Normally I record dramas, sitcoms, etc but this once about the only time I had recorded a music concert program. Probably has nothing to do with anything...or does it? {wink}

5. Just last weekend, I found to my shock, that the automatic timer had stopped working for no good reason that I could see. When I switched the machine on, everything was as it should be with the AT switched on. I haven't had that problem since either and I hope I never do. It was annoying because there was a crucial episode concerning the history of my country (my grwoing up period) which I have now missed.

So, those are the odd little one-off glitches I have had. Anyone else experience any of them? More than once?

I hope I never experience these glitches again, in particular number 5. However, it does appear there may need to be another firmware upgrade soon. I hope so.

Anonymous

OK so I have the same finalizing issue as darknova, I just bought this thing and can't see the finalize and am really frustrated with this thing. I've read some of the help above and yes the orange light is on, but when i go to functions >>> disc management menu i only see 'Disc name', 'disc protection; and 'format disc'. where is finalize?!? And I DO have the amber DVD light ON. But I cannot find the finalize. Also I read on panny site that DVD-RAM's don't need to be finalized.....but when I put it in my computer drive, it freezes my machine while the disk spins around in there....probably for hours if I let it :-0 So I'm trying to finalize but have the issue above WITH the amber DVD light ON.

fx
Unregistered guest
You cannot finalize a RAM disc. It is meant to rewrite over ond over again. Most DVD players will not play a RAM disc.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Hey fx - Too bad I couldn't get to this site over the weekend. I came to this same conclusion about not being able to finalize a RAM disc AND that there are very few venues that will play them, they say you can play them on a MAC. So thanks so much, I think I've taken a giant learning step in what's going on here. Now I have all my stuff on the HDD and will test out DVD-R and DVD-RW to see if they will play on a Dell after I record onto them. I've stopped bashing my head on the wall for now.....

L

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2119
All new Panasonic players do RAM. If you have a RAM drive in your PC, you can play them on it. If they are edited on the standalone, the PC may have problems with them.

Unregistered guest
i have an .avi over 900mgb how can i save them on two cds since i don't a dvd recorder?
Thans
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us