Picture on KP51WS510, look grainy and liney. Help

I just got a new KP51WS510 from my parents as a wedding gift. Looks great except for the picture not being very sharp. While watching a DVD if I really look at the screen I can see lines. Is this normal or something that can be fine tuned out with the picture adjustment settings? Please help. I dont know what t change or what to try!

Many thanks in advance!!
JT

Oh my!!! SO many helpful people around here!!!!! Dont strain yourself replying to my post!!!

Username: Cjdavia

Post Number: 1
Jared,
Were you able to find a fix for your problem with the lines?

I just purchased the same model Sony KP51WS510 and have noticed the same thing when playing DVDs, especially around someone's lips when there is alot of movement on the screen. I've also noticed that this does not occur when watching an HD program.
I think that it might have to do with Sony's reverse 3:2 pulldown algorithm on the DRC Cinemotion setting. The 'window blind' effect seems less noticable when I set the DRC mode to interlaced.
I am wondering if a better DVD player would fix our problem. Afterall, I have not found any one else posting an issue with watching DVDs on our model television. I am currently use an Xbox as the DVD player via the HDAV pack. Maybe a better progressive scan DVD player will fix this problem. Of course, I would be sure use the DVD player's reverse 3:2 mode and set the DRC setting on our television to progressive. That way the translation happens closer to the source.

What type of DVD player are you using?

I think that the problem with sharpness is common to most RPTVs, and is directly related to the strength and type of your video signal. For me, regular cable channels and even digital cable look grainy, especially during dark and gray scenes. True HD programming comes through beautifully, crisp and clear. This indicates to me that perhaps the graininess is not a problem with the television.

Hopes this helps and please write back, I am curious to see if we can figure this out.

Chris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us