Magnavox dvd vcr problem

Username: 2wonder

Post Number: 1
My ZV427MG9 A, when I turned it on all the lights started blinking. Now nothing works; the lights keep blinking but it does not respond to any manual or remote commands. I've unplugged it and it starts the blinking as soon a the cord is plugged in.
Is there a fix or is it a goner?

Username: Rondiane

Paramus, NJ United States

How can you see responses
to questions

Username: Rondiane

Paramus, NJ United States

Post Number: 4
Magnavox zv427mg9a plug it in blinking power light can it be fixed.

Username: Gyrobob

I have the same problem. Lights blinking and it is not responsive to any buttons on the unit or any commands from the remote. How do I fix this?

Post Number: 2
Interesting thing is I found that I could get the unit working by taking the cover off, turning the unit on (it still had blinking lights and would not respond to commands), used a hair dryer and heated the right top insides of the electronic components. After heating for a minute or two and then waiting a bit longer the unit lights stopped blinking and would work fine until it was turned off. Then it would not work until heating the insides up again.

What I learned was a power supply capacitor was going bad. I used a utube video on power supply repair and replaced the capacitor myself. Now the unit functions like new. Also, I could not find anyone to repair it, I had to do it myself or trash it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have an extra capacitor if your problem is the same as mine was.

2wonder, I am no electronics expert, but I do have the capability to take a cover off and replace a capacitor on a power supply. I would really like to buy your capacitor from you, or at least tell me the specifications of the capacitor so I can get one locally. It would be a great help if you could give me some clues on how to get to that capacitor and replace it.

Thanks for any info.

Bob

Post Number: 3
I looked on Youtube at a few of the videos on vcr power supply repair. They seem to suggest replacing more than one of the capacitors on the power supply board. What do you think?

Post Number: 4
2wonder, I did your trick about heating up the power supply board. It worked just like you said, so I think I might have the same problem you had. Hopefully all I will need to do is to replace some capacitors on that board. The attached images show the unit with the cover off. I took out the screws that hold that top board on, but I am reluctant to go any further. I might break something.

How do I remove enough stuff to get to the power supply? It is buried underneath that top board and underneath the DVD drive. Do the cables that go to that top green board unplug from the board?

Thanks for any info,

Bob

Upload
Upload

Post Number: 3
Yes I remember it was suggested to replace all the capacitors on that board but I only replaced one. As the video showed, one way to tell if a capacitor is bad is to look at its top; if its top is no longer flat but bulged or rounded up then it is probably faulty. I think there were three but I found only one with its top rounded and I only replaced that one. It's up to you about how many you want to replace.

The power supply board in lower down and yes you have to be careful removing the board(s) and you will have to remove the power supply board to repair it. Be sure to note how you took things out so you can replace the parts and reattach the wiring.

The capacitors are marked on the side. They have a specific range of voltage, capacitance, heat and you also have to get the right physical size so it with fit correctly on the board. I used a 4700uF 6.3V 12.5x20mm NCC SMQ 6.3V4700uF Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor.

Think it over and decide if you are up to attempting this repair and want to continue. If you do, let me know how it goes. Good luck

Post Number: 5
Yes you have to remove boards and parts. Some of the cables have to be pulled out of their holders or clamps. Look these over closely. I don't remember if the clamps have tabs on each side of the wiring ribbon that need to be pulled out or back, or if the clamps have a flip up hold down part that has to be flipped up before pulling out the ribbon.

Post Number: 5
What is that top board that has the four cables on it?

Will it be sufficient to just unplug the two wide cables? (the ones the two red arrows point to)

Would it be better to unplug the two smaller cables on the other side?

How big a deal is it to remove the DVD unit? I assume it has to come out in order to get to the power supply.

I used to go to Radio Shack for these kinds of parts (capacitors, etc.). I wonder who, in the Atlanta area, carries this stuff now?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Post Number: 6
I got one of the connectors to let go of the ribbon cable, but I am afraid to pry too hard on any of the other three. Do they come apart the same way?

Upload

Post Number: 6
You ask good questions and I wished I could have found assistance but I had to figure this out on my own by trial and error.

I did this repair some time ago and do not remember the particulars of what and how to remove the components. Sorry, I cannot direct you on how to take it apart, but remember, as I did, that this unit is no good to you as it is; so what do you have to lose.

As for the capacitor, I could not find a company around the Charlotte NC area to help with or sell me one. I figured out what I needed and ordered it through ebay.

Once you get the power supply board out, post a photo of the capacitor(s) you want to replace and I'll see if I can help with getting replacement(s).

Post Number: 7
I am at a standstill until I figure out how to undo those three black ribbon cable connectors.

Post Number: 7
I don't remember how they came out, but I got them out and back in. I think I may have used a needle nose pliers near to the connector and carefully wiggled the ribbon a little side to side as I pulled on the ribbon with the pliers.

Post Number: 8
Watch these youtube videos before removing the wire ribbons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9PwK9eGrCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3OI7prbwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOE4T6nykQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWsFkDvgbE

Post Number: 9
I took the cover off of my unit and was able to pull those ribbon cables out by hand. I found no hold down tabs or flaps on the connectors for those ribbon cables. Again, I just carefully, gently pulled the ribbon and it slide out!!!

Post Number: 8
I did an exhaustive search on youtube for videos on ribbon connectors. I found several, including those you listed. Thanks for doing that research, but I saw no videos covering the flipless connectors on this power supply board.

I'll try just pulling them out, like you said.

Post Number: 9
I pulled on the small one. It slipped out just like you said. The end of the ribbon cable is thick and stiff, so it ought to push back in okay. I wish I would have known this last week, eh?

I got the top board out. I got the dvd player/recorder out. It was rather obvious which capacitor is bad. 6.3v 4700uf. The top is swollen and has brown stuff leaking out the top. See the pics.

I desoldered it and removed it from the board. No one locally carries that capacitor. Amazon will have one here in a couple days for a couple bucks.

Thanks for the advice, 2wonder.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Post Number: 10
Fantastic, and thanks for the update.

Your very informative posts have documented step by step instructions on how to identify and repair this malfunction. It should be of assistance to others who find their way here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Bob
Did you complete the repair and did it solve the unit's problems?
Did you find this repair fairly easy or difficult? Do you recommend others try this repair if they have the same unit issues?

Thanks for any update.

Post Number: 10
Didn't work. The replacement of the capacitor was simple, but either it is a dud or some of the other capacitors are dying as well. I'm trying to find a power supply board for the thing. The model number of the board is BE9S80F0104. There ought to be a source for these somewhere.

One other option is to buy a used VCR/DVD and rip the power supply out of it. ebay has a bunch of them that power up okay, but have some other issue such as not playing VHS tapes or not ejecting a DVD. I'm assuming these "broken" units have operating power supplies. The prices range from $30 to $80 which is not a lot higher than a typical price for a power supply. I could get the "broken" vcr, use its power supply, and sell the "broken" one as another "broken" one for probably as much as it cost me.

From scratch, replacing a power supply board should be a 15 minute operation.

This is a lot of bother for a cheapo vcrdvd unit like this, but now it is becoming a matter of prinicple.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
That's disappointing.

If you would like to try another capacitor I can mail you one that is the same model as the one I used to repair my power supply. Just privately send me you address and I'll send it.

Username: Simonsays

Glen Ellyn, IL United States

Good Day and happy Sunday.
I have a Toshiba DVD/ VCR compbo. 2010 DVR620ku
It is used most infrequently.
Never for VHS only for DVD.
Bought it to dub some old VHS to DVD but never did it.
My kids watched a DVD on Friday. Then when I turned it on again I saw flashing green lights.
No buttons would work. I couldn't open the DVD carriage. I tried to put in a VHS and it wouldn't engage. It was dead.
Reading your thread I was inspired to remove the top and take my wife's hairdryer heating the right side.
Low and behold it works.
The capicitor (which I can see) doesn't seem convex at all. Looks fine actually.
I have no technical background whatsoever.
I'm AMAZED by heating up the side has got it going again. In fact my son is watching a movie AS I type to you.
But should I be prepared that (like your experiences) this is just a bandaid and it will fail again?
Or is it possible I did something beneficial?
Ultimately, I'd love to try and understand what is being achieved when I used the hair dryer?
Any clue as to what I might try next?
Like many of us, it's not a function of $ rather principle and the pursuit and PASSION of trying to fix things that should be fixable.
I loathe throwing things away which can be fixed - but at the same time one has to confront one's limitations and time constraints.

I could send a photo if you'd welcome glancing at it.
Thanks for the consdieration and your insight.
Best,
Mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Mark
I did not receive a notice of your post or I would have replied sooner. I just happened to look back at this thread.

As I posted years ago I was able to repair my unit by replacing a capacitor. The same one Bob showed in his photo. My unit is still working today; we use it every week.

I would suspect a capacitor or capacitors on your power supply board is/are the problem. Heating the components, I would guess, lowers the resistance to current flow and allows the faulty component to function.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
To those who find their way here looking for assistance with this problem, there are a few things you should know.

1) There are no monitors for these threads.

2) If you post on this thread, it is unlikely anyone will see it or respond to your post.

3) If you want someone from this thread to see your post, you must click onto that person's identity located to the left side of their post. That will take you to a page where you can email that person directly. They may or may not answer but at least you have some chance of assistance.

4) Lastly, if you found this thread helpfull, please post that information as it may encouage others to repair their unit.

Username: Joshferguson

Miami, Florida »‡ ¨

I have the same problem. Lights blinking and it is not responsive to any buttons on the unit or any commands from the remote. How do I fix this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Josh
Try unplugging your unit, remove the top cover, plug the unit into an outlet (the light should still be blinking), heat the insides with a hair dryer for about a minute, than wait a bit longer and see if the light blinking stops. If the light stops blinking, the unit should function normally until it is turned off.

If heating the insides causes the unit to function, I suspect it is a capacitor on the power supply board that is faulty and has to be replaced. If not, I can't help you.

Username: Henrybucki

Marietta, GA United States

i replaced the 6 uf capacitor it had a bulge in the top . i made a small plywood frame and cut and drilled corners to have something to support the board in a vise while a worked on it. the caps i bought from amozon was a little too tall the oem was 3/4 inch tall the ones from amozon where 15/16 .i solved this issue by cutting a small hole in the bottom of the dvd player using a small screw driver that i heated with a small torch the size of a quarter worked well no one will ever see it.

Username: Henrybucki

Marietta, GA United States

sorry for the wrong info it was a 4700 mfd at 6.3 volt cap that was bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Henry
Was your repair successful, does your unite now work?
Did you find any information in this thread useful?
Did you find the repair simple or difficult.
I guess what I am asking, are you an average do-it-yourselfer and if so do you encourage others to do this same repair if needed.

Thanks and thanks for posting
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us