How to Connect HDTV, Blu-ray, Satellite with Old Receiver

Username: Alainmichel

Post Number: 4
Hello Everyone,

It was suggested by the guy over at Best Buy" to post a message here, in the hopes of receiving some help.

Both my wife and I are retired. As a gift to ourselves, we got a new 70' Vizio tv. Great picture, compared to the Sony rear-projection t.v. we had for almost 12 years.

In addition, we also bought a Samsung BD-FM57C Blu-ray DVD player. The problem(s) began when we discovered that there was only ONE output on the rear of the DVD player and it was an HDMI.

The other problem is figuring out how to connect the new t.v. AND the DVD player to the 2005 vintage Onkyo A/V receiver. We have a Dish Network VIP 722 satellite receiver. It had ONE digital audio out and ONE component out

It has NO HDMI's but does have two digital inputs and one component video input. As you probably already know, the DVD player does NOT have a component out...just that one HDMI.

It's been almost 10 years since I hooked up my Sony VHS recorder and the Zenith DVD player; each one worked very well with the component/composite wiring of that day.

I am at a total loss as what to do with the newest technology which we have just purchased!

Currently, we do NOT get any 5.1 sound from either the new t.v. or the new Blu-ray DVD player.

Here is a link to view the ONKYO rear panel:
http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR600&class=Receiver&source=prodClas s

I would be most appreciative if anyone could help me, please! All suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain...San Diego

Silver Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 261
I definitely understand your dilemma. It seems your old Onkyo receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs needed to make setup easy. So the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new A/V receiver. Just about any new model nowadays has HDMI inputs to make hookup a snap. If you want to stick with Onkyo, the TX-NR626 is the current model in your range, but if you don't need 7.2-channel surround, then the TX-NR525 is a better deal.

With any new receiver, hookup should be easy with HDMI cables connected from each source component into the receiver, then one HDMI out into TV.

Another possibility, is to connect HDMI from the Blu-ray player and VIP 722 satellite receiver to the VIZIO. Then get an optical (toslink) cable out from the TV to the Onkyo receiver. This should also give you 5.1 surround sound, but the downside is you'll have manually switch TV inputs (via TV remote) when you switch between Blu-ray and Satellite. You also might need to enable a TV menu setting to instruct audio-out Dolby Digital.

Username: Alainmichel

Post Number: 5
Brian said..."Another possibility, is to connect HDMI from the Blu-ray player and VIP 722 satellite receiver to the VIZIO."

Thanks for the prompt reply, Brian.!

I've done exactly as you suggested above. Over the weekend, I went into the "input audio menu" and was finally able to get the t.v. audio into the 5.1 surround sound speakers, but another problem has cropped up!

Now when I play a Blu ray DVD, I don't receive the audio from the DVD through the speakers...only the t.v. audio.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Alain...San Diego
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help