Mitsubishi WD-37C9 Pixel Issue

Username: Gregorytaylor46

Post Number: 1
The tv started to display various pixels that stay a white color (just a few at first). Now there are probably 20-30 pixels that either remain a static color or alternate between working and static. And not all of them are just white, I've got some that are a dark color (and some of the dark color ones are just black). I've tried reseting to the factory settings with no luck. I downloaded an updated driver from the Mitsubishi site and the tv would not load the driver, I got to the second or third to the last line of the instructions and the tv just hangs (with blinking green light). Anyhow, does anyone have an suggestions for resolving the static pixel issue? Or should I just call a tv repair service?
Thanks!

Username: Locabutt

Post Number: 2
New DMD Chip is needed as some mirrors on the chip get stuck and show white pixels - it will probably just get worse and worse until its fixed. Notorious in Mitsubishi TV's. One of mine is just starting to do it.

Just google your model DMD Chip. Ebay would probably be a good place to look, just make sure you watch seller reviews etc.

All assuming you don't have a warranty since you are posting here.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the response. I meant to update this post and forgot. First, a minor correction in that the model is WD-73C9. Next, the issue is better described on other sites/posts. For others out there who find this, google for "white spots" and you'll see that many others have this issue.
As it turns out the chip (an LDP Texas Instrument chip) in this type of application (or maybe it is just the chip version or series) wears out and certain pixels get stuck (the spots can actually be seen on the chip once it is removed). The TV picture will continue to show increasing numbers of 'dots' until this is fixed.
It is not related to the mirrors in any way except that the chip drives the light that reflects off the mirrors.
If you call Mitsubishi's customer support number and complain, mention you read about this issue on the web and you would like them to help with the repair. They will arrange for a repair person to come to your house and replace the chip on-site for only $200 bucks (USD). The repair only takes about an hour (if everything is going smoothly) and the TV is back to producing a great picture.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2927
DLP 'chip' IS a mechanical device driven by electricity.
The micromirrors tilt to OR not, to reflect light to the viewer.

The dark pixels are broken facing away from the viewer while the white pixels are broken facing the viewer.

So, it IS related to the mirrors, which are in/on/of the chip.
The way around this, at least in part, is a 3-chip system and RGB light to the chips.
Sony SXRD and transmissive LCD were this way. 3 chips. 3 color filters and NO wheel to go bad. ever. Other problems, to be sure.

Since I don't see color wheel artifacts / streaking, I suspect that the DLP installs in Movie Theaters are a 3 chip system.

Post Number: 3
I am not a TV designer. All I know is that I helped the repairman and he disassembled what he refered to as a 'light engine' and removed a chip. The chip had a flat, square, shiny section that mounted flush with a board in the 'light engine'. The repairman said that the chip only generated the black and white aspect of the picture and the color was added in a later process of the engine. When you compared the shiny face of the old chip and the new chip under a bright light, you could see little imperfections on the old chip and not on the new one.
All I know is that I participated in the repair and the repairman only replace the chip and did not touch any mirrors nor did he adjust any aspects of the section of the ;light engine' that had moving parts. And once the chip was replaced, the TV was displaying a picture like a new TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us