Sony Grand Wega vertical colored lines

Username: Jakesnake

Post Number: 1
I was given a 50" Sony Grand Wega KF-50WE620 television the other day. The guy said that one day he went to turn it on, and it just came up with these vertical colored lines. You can see the picture behind these lines, but the lines are just in the way. I took two pictures of the screen and have attached them. What could be causing this? The sound works fine. I have done a little research and have heard it could be the q board? It would be awesome if I could get this thing working again, since it was free! The LCD bulb is good and bright, and the tv was made in 2005. Thanks for any help.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2752
You mentioned a bulb / lamp. SINCE this is a Sony RPTV (rear projection) I'd think 2x about fixing it. ALL Sony RPTVs have a built in light engine defect which will eventually cause color shifts and other problems needing a new / rebuilt light engine.
So, if you put a couple hundred into it NOW, you are guaranteed another headache.....sooner or later.

I'd suggest checking out modern Plasma sets. You can get a very nice 50" set for under 800$ any day of the week.

If you can take it apart and free the light engine, you may find a rebuilder will buy it for cash. Junk out the rest. You won't even be able to GIVE the rest away. Well, maybe the remote +- lamp?

Username: Jakesnake

Post Number: 2
Ok, so what do you think the problem could be? The light engine?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2770
The cynical me says the problem is a four letter word......SONY.

The analytic me says to junk it out...don't waste money on it.

The fix-it me says it is something to do with vertical or horizontal scanning.

Find yourself a service manual and look it over.

Since I'm no pro, I'd seek professional help. For 50$ somebody can tell you what's wrong, than you can buy the part. It may than take some kind of 'alignment', but maybe not. Many people have had good luck doing the board-swap thing.

Be careful.....sets have internal HI-VOLTAGE which will render you room temperature.
Also, bunches of TINY edge connectors. Good luck finding one of THOSE should you screw it up.

95% NOT the light engine....but it WILL be, sooner or later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us