LCD TV with VCR and Roku

Username: Peg11

Post Number: 1
I had an old analog TV and got a Comcast digital cable box and a Roku box. I had a 3-way switch hooked up allowing me to switch between TV/VCR (device 1), DVD (device 2), and the Roku (device 3). It worked great. I could record to the VCR and easily switch between devices. I was using my Comcast remote to change channels, so I believe the cable from the wall was going to the Comcast box, not the VCR. To play tapes, I just pushed Play on the VCR while watching TV.

Now I got a new LCD TV, and everything got disconnected, and I can't get the VCR part to work any more. I have the 3 way switch plugged in to the AV1 on the TV. The Roku plugged in to Device 3 on the switch. That works fine. When I used RCA cables to plug the VCR to Device 2 on the switch and then to the Line 1 In on the VCR, I get a No Signal when selecting AV1 on the TV. Obviously I am missing a connection.

The new TV is an LG 47LW5300. It has Composite AV In 1 jacks (red/white/yellow), Component In jacks (2 series of green/blue/red for video and red/white for audio), and a single AV In 2 jack. Also an Ant/Cable In jack. Right now the cable is coming from the wall to the Comcast box.

Neither the Comcast nor the LG instructions exactly match my set-up, and I don't want to mess up the TV. Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 668
The 3-way switch between the cable box and the 3 devices?
I am having a hard time picturing what you have.

Post Number: 2
The 3 way switch is plugged in to the TV's AV1 In. The VCR and Roku are plugged in to the switch, with the VCR set on Line 1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
I am still not understanding what the input of the 3-way switch is connected to and what it's 3 outputs are connected to.

Post Number: 3
I'm sorry I've done a bad job explaining. The switch has 3 inputs and one output. The output is going to the AV1 input on the TV. The Roku and the VCR are plugged in to two of the inputs. I used to have a DVD player on the third input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
With the new TV there is no need for the 3-way switch.

You should be plugging the Roku into the new TV's HDMI 1 port.

You should be plugging the DVD player into the new TV's HDMI 2 port.

You should be plugging the VCR into the new TV's AV In 1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us