Sony KDF60XBR950 Comments

Anonymous
Have seen the 70XBR950 in action, it looks great, best I have seen from a RPLCD. Looking for comments from anyone who has one, or is looking to buy. Right now CC in Albany, NY is telling me $5,399, but I think I can do better.

NeilR
$5399 for the 60" or 70"? CC = Circuit City?

Anonymous
Well that was the other day for the 60", now they have a $300 rebate, so $5099.00. for the 60"

Galen Haddock
I found it priced at 4800 for the 60" at a local electronics store here in KCMO

MO
is that with a stand or without the stand?
And i also found some on line for like $4899.99. What i will do it take that in and do a compare price and they will reduce the price on it. So try that.

Anonymous
Has anyone been able to compare the new Sony XBR to either Samsung DLP or Phillips LCoS?

Anonymous
I have seen the new Sony 60 inch LCD XBR...it is nice, but I think it will only be acceptable in dark rooms. Not as bright as the Sammy DLP, and not as sharp of a contrast as the Phillips LCoS. If Phillips can fix the purple hue problem, it probably will be the best choice, as it is also brighter than the Sony XBR.

van k
Hi Anonymous,

I saw the 60 xbr the other day. It looked bright to me.....did you consider adjusting the brightness levels on the set? Maybe that was the problem.

Thanks!
van k

Username: Sonofagun0000

Post Number: 1
CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS IS SELLING THE KDF60XB950 FOR 4,950.00 ONLY AND THEY HAVE IT IN STOCK AND CAN BE DLIVERED IN 2-3 DAYS.
AND THE KDF70XBR950 IS ONLY 6299.99..WOW!!!

Anonymous

I SAW THE OPTOMA 50" AND 60" DLP2 HD READY PROJECTION TV AT CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS. IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER COMPARE TO ANY SAMSUNG DLP'S..COLOR IS MUCH MORE NATURAL THAN SAMSUNG.SO CHECK IT OUT AT CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS.

Username: Serick

Post Number: 2
CC salesperson in Minneapolis told me their cost for the 60" set is $4418. Based upon posts I've read elsewhere about the 70", my guess is that their cost for that is a little over $5000. These are fantastic sets - definitely the best LCD RP sets yet available. I disagree that the set isn't bright enough. It is plenty bright. Of course, the screen is more reflective than other LCD and DLP sets, so you may want to avoid putting it in a room with a lot of windows or lights that can be reflected in the set.

Username: Spm3900

I have been watching Sony 70 xbr for 3 weeks, it is very bright and a knockout picture. I sit about 17' in large room with lots of windows. It is good enough in bright daylight and better than any set I have seen including Pioneer Elite,Hitachi swx.This is is my first LCD, I built in the wall it extends into the romm only 5" or so. I paid under 6k deliverd.

Anonymous

I bought the 60XBR950 and was delivered on 12-08-03. This is the first big screen TV I ever own. The picture and color was so real when playing a DVD movie in progressive. I have Time Warner cable and I thought I could receive HD signals from cable since the TV had a build in HD tuner. Wrong, I need a HD cable box in order to see HD TV. Seems like I waste money on HD tuner. A friend told me to buy a HD antenna, then I will be able to receive more HD channels.
In last few days, the TV would not turn on. The power LED greeen light kept flashing and no picture. The longest time I wait was 30 min and still flashing. I called Sony and they said the TV needs service.(in 10 days?) I contacted CC since I bought the ext warranty. They said they would order me a replacement set, but at the meantime, they suggested I call Sony authorized repair shop to repair the power problem because the TV is currently out of stock.
Do anybody have this power problem with Sony projection TV?

Anonymous

Try unpluging the unit of the wall wait 30' and try again, you may also want to unplug anything that is connected to it to make sure it is the Sony and not some other factors good luck.

Bob C.
Unregistered guest
www.taxfreeelectronics.com offers the 60xbr950 for $4,150.00

Username: Blackdog69

I just ordered the 60xbr950 from Onecall.com

They have a few in stock. My price was about $5130 delivered.

One warning. I did receive a lower price ($4800 delivered) from Infinity of Brooklyn, NYC. This was a scam price as upon further research, their XBR did not include a valid warranty as the set was purchased offshore.

I did not buy the stand for $800. I think I will custom build a cherry wood one for less price.

Any other comments?

Username: Spm3900

The price is fair you may save another $130 if your willing to do more research which will cost you time and money. I just enjoy this tv and forget shopping any further.As far as the cabinet if you are handyman you can be more creative and build nice cabinet that will conceal wires and help the tv stand out. I built the 70 xbr 950 in the wall. and it looks great good luck

Hayan
Unregistered guest
Hello Anonymous
I have owned the 60" Xbr for more than a month. It is a great unit..
I have Time warner cable and I am able to watch HD channels using the TV tuner. I used a signle splitter on the cable line out of the cable outlet, and connected one line directly to the TV and the other line throught the cable box. (see details in the instruction manual).. The HD picture is breathtaking..
In regard to the problem you had with the TV not starting , I have had the same problem, and it turned out to be a known problem to sony with some of these sets, and sony has released a service bulletin to fix the problem.. I serviced the tv.. and now it is up and running without any other problems.

Username: Bithead

Just took the dive into purchasing the 60XBR950. Like everyone else I would like an incredible DVD/HD video TV. I am also looking for a device that would be a great PC montitor. I was supprised to hear that this unit does not include VGA only DVI port. My PC is VGA output only. I can upgrade the PC to DVI but first waanted to ask the following:

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to use the DVI connector between a PC and the 60XBR950? How does this look? what setting on the PC and the TV? Is it recommended??

Has anyone used a VGA to DVI converter? what converter? How does this look?

Thanks in advance.

Bithead

I just paid $5100 to be delivered for my 60XBR950, but noticed Federal Stereo was selling them for about $4,600 delivered.

I bought mine from One Call, and they are listed as an authorized dealer of Sony products, which Federal is not.

As long as you get a USA warranty, I don't think it matters. Be careful of many Brooklyn located dealers who often sell non-USA Sony sets, without any warranty.

One call is a very professional outfit, but the extra $450 I paid may not be justified? However, I did get a NFI 5 year in house no deductible warranty for only $330, and if I don't make a claim, One call will even give a store credit for one half my warranty cost! That is sweet. And I have the extra assurance I bought form an authorized dealer if any problems arise.

I need recommendations on component and digital cables. Are the Monster cables overpriced, etc. Also, I will be using a HDTV Adelphia cable box and I have a new Sony DVD and full independant surround sound speakers....any cable and hookup recommendations? Thanks.

Paul

Anonymous

Hello, Hayan:
Thanks for the info. My TV has not been fixed yet, the shop was closed for the holiday.
I also use a splitter, one goes directly to TV's VHF/UHF, from there, I can use the TV tuner to watch chs# 1-99. The other cable go to the TW cable box, it sends out component output to TV's Video 5, from there I can watch HD channels. The only problem is that in this setting, all channels will be in full screen. the 100s and 200s channels are all stretch. Do you have this problem? How did you watch HD channels using the TV tuner? I'd like to learn that please.

Ed Poh
Unregistered guest
I purchased the 60" XBR950 at Circuit City for $5499 during Thankgiving time and received a 10% gift card worth $550 and a mail-in rebate of $300; so effectively, I paid $4649. I too had a power problem with this unit (flashing green light and red lamp light goes on). This happened 3 weeks after I got my TV. I had this problem fixed by an authorized Sony repair center. I also made a complaint to Circuit City and they have ordered me a new set for exchange to be delivered end January.

Post Number: 3
To Ed Poh

Was the gift card and 10% mail in rebate a Sony rebate, or solely for Circuit City buyers?

Anonymous

To Ed Poh:
I do agree that Circuit City has the best price for this Sony TV. Fry's and Good Guys will match the price but CC service is far better than these two stores. I also bought the ext warranty(I know, it is waste of money, I may return it). The TV is out of stock in LA, Hopefully there will be no more power problem when I get the new set.

Ed Poh
Unregistered guest
To Paul Adler,
The gift card was a limited time promotion from Circuit City for on line Internet purchase, however I manage to get this deal from the sales manager for in store purchase. My sales receipt read $4949 for the TV and $550 for the gift card. This way I paid sales tax on $4949 for the TV. The gift card has no sales tax; only taxed when it is used for purchase (like a store credit). The $300 rebate was from Circuit City. I am still waiting for it as it takes 8 weeks to process like any other rebate.
I heard that for big/expensive items, you can bargain in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. They have a higher profit margin on these items and might be willing to knock the retail price down. Don't pay full retail; ask for the lowest price or get them to throw in something (eg dvd player, tv stand, gift card, extended warrenty).

BnB
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 70XBR950 for Christmas and loving it every minute. I too would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on avoiding the full feature on Video 5 for HD. I know that when viewing HD the full feature allows for the signal to be processed automatically on the TV set (sometimes filling the screen). But on regular digital signals it doesn't allow you to adjust the size. Don't get me wrong, I love the TV but I purchased the 70 for it's sheer size and not being able to "stretch" the picture kind of ticks my off a bit.
Also, can anyone explain to me why Sony has offers the different picture settings eg: Standard, Pro and Vivid? I always have it on Vivid for the sheer brightness and clarity. Is there something that I am missing something since I don't really know when to use the others, when you adjust it to the less bright and less sharp Pro and Standard settings?
I am from Toronto Canada and my 70XBR950 had a promotion that offerred the stand for free but only on the 70.

Post Number: 4
Had my 60XBR950 for two days now. I am satisfied.

The only question so far is why the zoom, full, normal function does not work when watching HDTV via a Scientific Atlantic HDTV set box?

I have heard of this issue before?

I just ordered a video/audio set up CD from "Sights and Sounds" magazine for $17.

Any other tweaking issues I should be aware of?

Post Number: 5
Apparently, video channels 5-6-7 are reserved for digital only signals and prevent the use of the Wide control button on our remotes.

If you run a S-Video input to let's say video channel 1, then your wide scan button will wortk, but you are not displaying a true digital picture.

I am still learning....

Username: Mikeytmaxx

i just wanted to compare prices with other buyers. I purchased the sony kdf60xbr950 from pc richard & son expecting delivery next month I am having it shipped to conneticut to save sales tax, total I paid including delivery was $4,550.00 I think I got a really good deal. Also would appreciate some owner's of this beautiful set's opinion on having the tv calibrated when i recieve it, was told by a well educated electronics wiz that i should have a certified tech. calibrate the sony for optimal picture quality. feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 6
I think that $4,550 delivered is at good as it gets...I paid $5,100 delivered...hope your set has a full USA warranty. Better check for that. It could be a foreign set?

There are several DVD set up disc you can buy for between $17 to $50. I forgot the name, but the one which starts with the letter A is suppose to be the best...Good luck.

Post Number: 7
Can anyone explain why the audio, especially on Digital audio or multichannel which runs through my receiver, will occassionally cut out for maybe a half second periodically? This does not happen on the basic TV audio, only when listening to audio through my receiver?

60xbr950

Unregistered guest
I am thinking about buying the 70'' sony xbr as well best price here in michigan i am getting is 5835 plus 760 for the stand....i am going to buy the dish network 921 hdtv /dual pvr unit to go dvi into the tv...anyone try this ....am i to understand that i need to "plug in" to the video 5 6 7?? im not understanding the comments a bit above about not being able to "strecth" the signal please advise thanks

Username: Mikeytmaxx

paul adler thank you for the response. Yes it does have a full usa warranty pc richard and son here in NY is a reputable store they have been in buisness for over 90 years. as far as the response you gave me about buying a disc to calibrate the tv, I have heard that you need a tech to physically go into the set and calibrate it i'm not sure exactly how it works but a friend of mine informed me of that. a salesman from another high end electronics store here in NY also told me the same thing, they had there own techs.. that did it, they charge around $350 to calibrate so i think it's more extensive than just popping in a disc. Please if any other owners have heard anything about getting the tv calibrated can you please inform me it would be appreciated greatly

Kris Williams
Unregistered guest
I have on order the Sony KDF-70XBR950 and I will be doing the ISF to my new Television whenit comes in on or around Feb. 18th. I also have been doing some reading on another forum that talks about calibrating the tv. There web site is www.AVSFORUM.COM there is a link to RPTV and a topic called UMR dues GWIII XBR & WE there you will find step by steps in calibrating the 70XBR

I will be doing these when I get mine.

Kris

Kris Williams
Unregistered guest
Here is the link to UMR does GWIII XBR & WE
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331875

Its also a great forum to read and finf information on many things

Kris

Unregistered guest
what is "isf" to the television please explain

Kris Williams
Unregistered guest
The Imaging Science Foundation (ISF)
If your going to pay to have your set calibrated he or she should belong to ISF. Here is some information about calibrated your tv and sound system. If you take a look at the link about UMR there is a step by step in calibrating the XBR950 which is what I am going to do.

WHY HAVE YOUR SET CALIBRATED?

Televisions operate on two basic video signals---the black and white information and the color information. Color is added to black and white to form the final picture, so it is essential that the black and white picture be correct (i.e.--truly black and white) if you want the final picture to show all colors correctly. If there is a touch too much of any of the three primary colors in the mix making up black and white, all colors in the final color picture will influenced. (Remember, there are three color guns (in conventional sets)--red, green, and blue--which make all pictures, even black and white ones),

The "color" of black and white (actually gray and white) is expressed in a number called "color temperature." While this color temperature may vary from 4500 degrees (Kelvins) to over 15,000 Kelvins in modern TV sets, only ONE color temperature is accepted as the industry standard used on monitors when movies are actually made. That temperature is 6500 Kelvins, or more specifically, D6500. A set calibrated to this standard will look exactly like the original movie did to those who monitored its making, and all colors will be as true as possible to the original. Setting your set to this standard is what an ISF Calibration accomplishes.

Most TVs come from the factory with a very cool color temperature (way up over 10,000 K) calibration. This emphasizes blue, so all white scenes will look slightly bluish. Factories do this to squeeze out the most possible brightness to make the picture stand out on the showroom floor. Some sets have several color temperature positions (warm, medium, cool, etc). Almost without exception, each of these misses the mark of 6500 degrees, usually by a considerable amount. Usually the choice is between a picture that is either too bluish or too reddish. Neither is correct and the resulting colors are not accurate. It is not unusual, even on the newest and most expensive high-definition TVs, for color temperature to vary considerably (sometimes from 4000 K up to 15,000 K) as black turns to dark gray then light gray then white. This may give a bluish look to bright white scenes (too cool) yet a greenish or reddish look to very dark grays (too warm). Sets like this are probably the most annoying to watch.

Maybe you've noticed sets lined up in a showroom and how they all have a slightly different "look" to the color, particularly when scenes are dark. What you're seeing are the various feeble factory attempts to set color temperature on their production line. If all of those sets were ISF calibrated, they'd look VERY much alike on the showroom floor.

When your set is properly calibrated, black and white scenes will be truly black and white with no color tint to the dark grays and a naturally warm look to bright whites (patterned after the color of outdoor sunlight). If you turn your color control completely down, the resulting black and white picture should show no "color." Some black and white movies on TV may show a color cast contributed by broadcasting errors, but this will disappear too when the color control is minimized. Most modern sets can be calibrated to track this ideal shade of gray--D6500 (called "grayscale tracking") from nearly black up to the brightest whites the set can deliver without overload. When calibrated properly, you can expect the most beautiful and faithful color rendition your set is capable of.

As dark gray turns to black, many sets (RPTVs and plasmas) really resist tracking accurate gray and dark grays seem to insist on having some sort of reddish or greenish color tint. Many ISF techs will strive to get the broad area from 30 to 80 IRE as close as possible to the correct (D6500) color temperature. Technically this is a normal procedure, but one I often find unacceptable. The area just before black is VERY important to the impact and beauty in a picture and it must not have unwanted color. It's also very difficult to measure accurately with a color analyzer. I will take the extra time to get this area right instead of taking an easier and faster path that might measure well but simply won't look as good.

Kris

Unregistered guest
XBR950 or WE series????

I can't decide whether to get the Sony 60XBR950 or the Sony 60WE series which is also an LCD Rear Projection, same size, only the one WITHOUT the built-in HDTV tuner. What other differences are there? I don't need the built-in tuner, so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost.

Please advise. Thank you.

John Paxton
Unregistered guest
I bought the 60XBR950 in December. I immediately had problems with a fogging effect on the glass/plastic front. In the mornings after the house was a little cold, and I'm in LA for goodness sakes, the glass front would be covered with fog. Most of it would wipe off, but it started going behind the glass and couldn't be cleaned. Good Guys replaced the set, but now it's starting to do it again? Anyone else experienced this problem?

Post Number: 8
I have not experienced any fogging? I would suggest your problem is directly related to your environmental conditions. I just purchased my set, but it is winter here in New England, therefore very dry. I hope this issue does not surface this summer in the humid climate?

I am curious, it appears the glass shield on the XBR950 is held on by a velcro type material. I assume the glass panel is removable and replaceable in the event of a scratch or breakage, which makes good sense?

John Paxton
Unregistered guest
I was told by the dealer that it's not removable? I've had the fogging problem and an additional problem of what appears as dust worm trailing effects and my home is immaculate? I spent $2000 on 4 Ionic Air Purifiers to see if that would help. The TV seems to hold a static charge that pulls particals to the screen and has an additional reaction to temp and humidity or the lack thereof? It's a beautiful TV besides the inability to reproduce blacks and this glossy screen nightmare?

Unregistered guest
Can Somebody tell me what stand would look great with the 70XBR950 that is a fraction of the price of the sony's stand?

Post Number: 10
For $295 I feel I purchased a stand that rivals the Sony $899 STAND from www.racksandstands.com

Fits the 60xbr perfectly...in fact it is steel, not plastic. Great color match also.

Bush Universal Collection- Satin Chrome Video Base (VS74377-03)

Anonymous

Read this before you buy a Sony Grand Wega LCD RPTV!!!

I have 60XBR800. I brought it 15 month ago. I notice a picture problem when there's a large color contrast. I was watching the Lion King 1.5 DVD, I notice that there were blue/gray outline on the side of lion's face. The blue/gray patch looks like the outline of his face. It was very obvious when the lion's tan face is next to a dark background.

This blue/gray "outline" problem also appears in Disney's Tresure Planets(espically the boy's face because of his dark hair), and Intolerabe Cruity(on some George's face)

I checked all the input and even use a different DVD, I still notice this problem. Then I check the DirecTV and HDTV signals, the problem also appears when there's a large color contrast.

So call the Sony Service toll free number, the rep on the phone told me to disconnect the power for 1 hour or more ("to rest the TV"). The problem was still there when I turn it on. The rep gave me a number to call to have an authorized tech to look at it. HOWEVER, Sony will not pay for this check(~$100) even if the tech finds a problem. Since the TV is 15 months old (only 1 year parts and labor warranty), it will be up to the supervisor if Sony will pay for any of cost. I have the tech coming in next week because the problem is that irritating

Does anyone else notice this problem with their Sony Grand Wega XBR LCD RPTV?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I did notice that if your input for video (such as a DVD) uses cables such as component, or S-Video, if these coinnection are not tight you will have color distortion.

As far as warranty, if you used a credit card to buy (Gold or Platinum) you have an automatic extended warranty. Or, you could have a purchased an extended warranty. I paid about $360 for a 5 year extended warranty.

Anonymous

After paying $85 plus tax, the only thing that the tech did was adjust the "Revision" function on the Setup menu.

After about 1000 hours use, the light bulb changes slightly. If the "Revision" does not adjust it, you must manually adjust it yourself.

I wish Sony hotline would have told me that instead of paying $85 for it.

So if you have any Sony LCD RPTV, hope you find this before posting before paying for the Sony tech.

Please pass this info on to everyone that this problem.

Anonymous

Thank you for the update. I have the 60XBR950 for a few months. After reading your message, I checked the Setup menu and I don't see "Revision". I hope Sony may have correct this problem or it may cost more than $85 to do the adjustment for the 60XBR950.
It is good to know the light bulb would cause this problem.

Unregistered guest
I think the KDF60XBR950 is my next TV.
Points not mentioned so far: The New XBR 60" and 70" are listed as 20% brighter than the WE series (crutchfield ad). This is good, but I agree with some of the other postees that the glass and glare seem to detract (anyone have this in a room with many windows)? Also, I did not like that the XBR is listed as deeper than the non XBR TVs. I am down to: is the brighter picture worth 1500 more $?
Last point: Can anyone confirm for me the dimensions? I haphazardly measured inthe store and believe the SONY/ Store listed dimensions are not correct much of the time. I found the listed width of the new 60 Inch XBR950 to be 67 but measured it and it is 63. The depth was listed as 23 but I measured little over 20 from the front most part of the screen to the farthest point in the back (It was around 19 from the front edge of the base). With all the TVs going for the thinner the better marketing I find it hard to believe that Sony's specs are 3 inches off on the depth. Anyone care to tell me the approximate weight of this TV? It is listed as 177 lbs (hard to believe when all the other specs are wrong).

Unregistered guest
I have the KDF60XBR950 and am extrememly pleased with it. Have been looking to upgrade for several years and finally pulled the trigger for this set. Got it at PC Richards here in NJ, they are one of the first retail outlets to get distribution. Have noticed some people with problems with turning the set on . This is caused by a defective lamp that was supplied by Philips lighting. The newer lamp is suppled by Sylvania. I had mine changed within 2 weeks of owing the set (purchased mid December 03) for 4999.00 plus 750.00 for the stand. I would put his up to any plasma I have seen!.

Username: Goosedad

Gene:
Thanks for posting the message. It is good to know that the power on problem with the 60xbr950 is not a major problem. I had mine returned because of this. I would go order the same tv again just to make sure the ligh bulb is made by Sylvania.
Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Gene R/ Tony Kwok (or anyone), Ref: th Sylvania lightbulb. Is there anyway to know which lightbulb is in the TV prior to ordering? I am about to buy in the next 3 weeks and am leaning to on on-line store. Any help apprieciated - Tom

Username: Goosedad

Tom: There is no way to tell which lightbulb in the unit until it has been removed. Sony is aware of the problem. What I would check is the TV's date code. if the TV was made in Nov/Dec 2003, chance is that it may have the "Philips" bulb. Get the latest unit is my recomendation.

J Walsh
Unregistered guest
I took delivery of my XBR950 2 weeks ago and it is astonishing in every mode (cable/onair-antenna HD and DVD). Unfortunately, however, my 6 yr old daughter scratched the plexiglass screen/shield when illustrating a PlayStation 2 football play with her finger. Hard to believe but the soft (bright red painted) finger nail of a six yr old sliced the screen leaving a noticeable gouge. After a good cry, I used a light abrasive polishing compound on the screen and it virtually eliminated the scratch. What I did not realize though was that the abrasive removed the anti-reflective coating on the plexiglass. I now have a section on the screen in the shape of a pickle where the coating is worn off. Anyone know whether that outside screen is repairable/replaceable and if so at what cost?

Unregistered guest
Last question for anyone that has this TV (60" XBR950). Can someone please tell me the actual depth. It is listed as 23 inches, though my hastly measurment in the store looked more like 20 inches. Can someone please measure from the front and back most extreme distances and reply back. Thanks, TB

Anonymous

Mr. Walsh:
I read your repeated message. I understand your feeling and what was done can not be un-done. I really do not know what you can do to make the scratch disappear except replacing the glass. I would suggest you call the SONY customer service, they will be able to give you a exact quote for parts and labor. Good luck and you may have accepted the scratch mark by now.

J Walsh
Unregistered guest
Tom.

I just measured my 60XBR950 unit from the outermost edge of the forwardly projecting steadying tray/panel to the deepest part of the back console and teh measurement is 24".

J Walsh

J Walsh
Unregistered guest
Can anyone advise regarding the correct sequence of component cable and coaxial cable hookups to enable function of an HD cable box and combination DVD/TiVo unit with my 60XBR950?

Yesterday, the cable company hooked up my HD cable box and now I can't get my TiVo to work. Prior to the cable tech hooking up the HD cable box, I had my combination DVD/TiVo (Pioneer DVR810H) connected directly to my incoming cable jack and the component cables connected to the Video5 input terminals on the back of the TV. Now, the HD cable box is connected (via another set of component cables to the Video 6 inputs on the back of the TV. When I try to use TiVo, I get a screen saying "the recorder cannot display live TV." Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

J Walsh.

Unregistered guest
J Walsh, thanks for the reply on the depth. Over the weekend I went to the store and more closer looked at the TV. The reason I came up with the 20 inches deep was that the TV on display was on the made to fit Sony stand. When on the matching stand the "steadying" tray is slid to the rear in order to lock into the stand. Since I would have this on a stereo table I am having made I am wondering if I have to have that lip at the fully extend point? Any ideas? My table will be 21 inches deep with the uppper lip out to 22.5 inches. I would hate to have that base (steadying piece) sticking out off the edge of the table. Oviously the TV will be more secure with the base at the maximum extension - but I can find a way to secure the TV to the Stand in order to not have the base sticking out 4 additional inches - weird design - I guess Sony wanted people to buy their stand with it.

Anonymous

i purchased the kdf70xbr950 at p.c. richard and son through and paid 5100.00. with full us warranty. but it has been on back order for a month the 60 inch same modle i could of gotten it for 4100.00 plus only 3% sales tax. i can't wait to receive the set.

Dominic
Unregistered guest
I just received my KDF60XBR950. I noticed two tiny white spots on the screen that resemble burnt pixels (only these are white). Upon further examination I found a dark spot that appears to be a bug under the LCD, which is under the plexigalss. Does anyone have the white spot problem and do you know if a service tech can access the inside of the LCD?

Anonymous

return it.

gary70
Unregistered guest
DVI vs component cables.

Hi, Just bought my SONY 60XBR950, love it! I am using the component cables to connect the HD cable box with the TV, should I use the DVI? is it better for picture quality? Thanks.

Anonymous

Use DVI. You'll see much better picture quality when you watch HD or DVDs. The only draw back is that when you watch regular channels thru DVI, you'll see lines floating around the top/bottom or sides of the screen. It is annoying. You won't see that if component cables are used.

xbr950lover
Unregistered guest
Hello all, just got the 60XBR950 and it is great. I am in love, where can I get the audio\video setup cd it was mentioned before for calibrating my tv.
Or where in NY can I get a specialist ISF certified to do the calibration for me.
Thanks

Anonymous

just a reminder, make sure there are no dead pixel before u have it calibrated.

Username: Boatweiser

Orlando, Florida USA

I have a Sony XBR950 and a PC with Window XP Media Center and a video card with DVI out. The PC DVI will not interface with the Sony DVI in. Does anyone have a solution? Can anyone suggest compatible vidoe card. Thanks

Unregistered guest
I bought the 60xbr950 last November from CC and love it very much. However, after 2 months the LED Green light keeps flashing and no picture. I had it serviced and the service man said that the bulb was loose due to shipment and he said taht tightened it and it works. I think its bull. I mentioned that there is a recall on the bulb and he said that he cannot replaced it unless it is completely burnt out. Again on May 18th there was no pic and I called service. The bulb was replaced and after 7 days there was no picture again. Now service told me that they have to change a circuit board. I purchased the extended warrantty. I must say that the Manager at CC ( DAN) was very nice but CC and Sony customer services are very poor. I was on the phone with CC for over two hours and could not get the right person to complain or help. Everyone I spoke to would say wrong department and switch me to India. I was calling around the world for help. At one point I was talking to CC call center in India and now I know why the service is poor. I called sony and send complain letters but the have not responded. I even chat on line with Sony help but they were useless useless. I may have been talking to someone in timbucktu.
In summary, I hope my TV fix asap and if not, under the lemon law, I will have to get a new one from CC.
Butch

Unregistered guest
I bought a Sony 60xbr950 LCD TV last November from Circuit City and love it very much. However, I am haviny it serviced 3 times for the Lamp. I think sony have to find a fix for it. Does any one else have this problem.

Anonymous

Butch:
I understand your feeling.....I brought the same TV from CC in last November as well and same problem happened to my set. The TV would not turn on after two weeks. Sony wanted to send a service to repair the TV, after reading the msgs in this website and the AVS forum, I did not want to have the TV repaired. I asked CC to exchange for a new one. CC told me that the new one were out of stock, the earliest would be February. So I returned the TV. In February, CC called that they had the TV for me, I asked for the TV manufacture date, it was DEc 03. Well, the light bulb problem was not a simple problem as I thought in the beginning. I did not accept the TV. After reading the AVS forum, I brought the SamSung HLN 617W1. That is a good TV, picturewise is better than Sony, Audiowise it is not as good as Sony. But it had a few feature that Sony don't offer in DVI or HD mode.
CC had a great price in SamSung DLP, since you have the ext warranty, exchange it for a SamSung. Sony is too proud and did not want to admit their first generation XBR LCD problems.

EricLThomp
Unregistered guest
The setup disc is called "Avia". http://www.ovationsw.com/
you can just do a search for it and pick it up from a lot of different places online.

G.C.C.
Unregistered guest
I bought a 60XBR950 here locally (Austin)for under $5k. I told the salesman that I could buy it online but would prefer to get it locally and if he could have it delivered for less than $5k, he would have my business. He said on most products that was out of the question but that Sony is sold in so many places that the competition was fierce. He agreed and I got the Sony stand for $700 (delivered as well). Manufacture date is in 2004. Could not be happier with the picture. I also bought the Bravo D2 DVD player form Vinc (a digital player with a DVI output). Fantastic picture. Set it to output of 720 (built in line doubler). Cost @ $225 plus the DVI cable. Well worth it. ----- For what it's worth

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthenry

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 12
HI.
Y would like to buy a DVD PLAYER for my
Sony KDF-60XBR950.... Any suggestion?...
Please
Ruth

Bronze Member

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 13
Sorry:

I...

DominicMB
Unregistered guest
After much research and debate I bought the Sony DVP-NC685V. It holds 5 DVD's or CD's and plays many formats. I have no problem with it; however, for the amount of time I use it I could have bought a single disk player for less.

Bronze Member

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 14
DominicMB
Thank you very much..
Ruth

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 23
try a denon or bring "gladiator" for testing and check chapter 13 (layer change) and Chapter 14 for the arena battle and look cloosely at the arena backround, on the sony, it has a lot of jiggling, like it keeps on refocusing.

Anonymous

I just purchased the 60" TV KDF-60XBR950. So far I am very disappointed with the picture quality. Any time lettering comes up it looks jagged. this is also true for the lines on the football field. can someone tell me if this is normal or do I have a bad set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, it happened. The XL-2100U bulb went bad after about 8 months of use. Here is the good news.

The TV has a one year in house warranty. Instead of waiting for in house service, I got my dealer (One Call) to simply Fedex me a new bulb. No charge.

Takes ten minutes to install.

I would do this at least before the one year warranty is over, no matter what.

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 30
anonymous, read my post last April 1, 04 02:09pm, it my help regarding adjusting your 60XBR950.

Unregistered guest
For those of you that have yet to endulge, the lowest prices I have seen to date have been from:
http://www.tvcity.tv
KDF-70XBR950 - $4,993.96
KDF-60XBR950 - $3,698.96
This is where I bought my 60' 7 months ago (and paid $4372 (+ taxes) at the time)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us