Why people still would rather buy LCD over DLP?

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 20
I've been on this board for about a month since I'm leaning towards buying a new tv, my 1st HD tv. (Samsung DLP HLP5063w) but I'm curious as to why people still consider buying LCD over DLP? Am I overlooking something with the LCD's?

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 98
I think they have a better reliability. But I think when comparing the quality of picture, they are practically identical. also, DLP is slightly cheaper

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 25
Rainbows and CQ issues. At AVS, half the people who bought a HLP had the set die or break. And DLPs are more expensive.

Anonymous

I don't see where "half the people who bought a HLP had the set die or break" noted. If it did break, they should be able to return it because they haven't been out longer than 3-4 months.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=415900&perpage=20&page number=1

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 27
You didn't see the poll there?

-----------------
I'm completely satisfied with my HLP -69 (52.27%)

I have issues with the PQ of my HLP-29 (21.97%)

My HLP died or has broken in some way and requires service -29 (21.97%)
----------------

That's almost half in my book of unsatisfied customers. Not half died, but half not happy with either a bad set or PQ issues.

Bronze Member
Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 13
I debated this same question for months. I was all ready to buy one of the next generation DLPs. I was just gonna wait for the HD2+ chips to come out. My biggest complaint with the DLP is the rainbow effect and some of the "movement issues" with DLP. From my research, it seems that the reason for the movement effects is because of the color wheel. I also found out that some people don't see the rainbow effects, and some do...however if you do see it...you will always see it as long as the DLP technology uses a color wheel. Because I do see it, and it drives me crazy...I decided to look at the LCD. I ended up buying a Hitachi 50v500 and I've had absolutely no regrets....granted, I've only had it a week, but once I tweaked the settings and bought a progressive scan dvd player...it's truly been an incredible tv. If I didn't have problems with the rainbow and movement issues of DLP, I would probably suggest waiting a month or two for some sets to come out with the HD2+ or xHD3 chips to come out. Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
so will the newer versions of DLP fix the rainbow effect? Because they might be something that a color wheel will always have.

Also, whats a good scene or picture to look at to notice the rainbow effect? Because I'd like to see if I can notice it

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 15
From what I found, it seems that as long as there is a color wheel, there will be a rainbow effect....again, some people don't see it...so it may not be a problem for you. Even though the new DLP tvs will have color wheels with 7 or 8 segments, they color wheel itself is apparently what causes the problem. LCD has no color wheel, so I haven't seen a problem at all with rainbowing on my Hitachi. When I've noticed the rainbowing on DLPs, I was watching dvds with alot of action and movement (like the Lord of the Rings), or sports. Football and hockey showed the most rainbowing from my experience.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
So you seem to be saying that the only downside to an LCD tv is the price?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 17
Well, price is certainly an issue. LCD is cheaper than DLP, but it's way more than CRT. So far that has been the biggest downside that I have found...but again that's my opinion. I'm a tech support analyst, so I sit all day and wait for the phone to ring. All I did for 2 months, every day, was surf the net looking for the pros and cons of different HD tvs. Once I decided I was gonna buy one, I started preparing myself for the reality of life with an HD tv. Watching VHS tapes on HD tvs looks bad. No way around it. Watching SD tv doesn't look as good as it does on a CRT...but I have been watching a 27" tv for 10 years. If I blew it up to twice it's size, I would probably notice a reduction in quality. I was VERY worried about SD tv looking unwatchable, but once I got home and started watching it...it really isn't that bad. I'm looking forward to eventually subscribing to an HD service, but here in Nashville there are only a few options. Voom, Comcast, or Direct TV. Comcast and Direct TV only offer about 10 channels each....almost not even worth subscribing to. Voom looks like an option, but it's around $50.00 a month...and I'm just not that motivated for another bill right now. If you read forums you'll probably read that the black levels in LCD tvs isn't as good as plasma or dlp....but I tweaked all my settings and I think it looks very good. I've also heard that the tiny lcd parts in the screen can go bad...hopefully they wont, but just in case, I bought a warranty...so I'll cross my fingers. I don't mean to be long winded, but I'm still kind of floating on cloud nine with my purchase. I've read mixed reviews about every different type of HD tv...I guess you should look at several different models, read some consumer reviews, and pick the one you like the best. That's what worked for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Thanks Fredzky! Good info

As for HD channels, I'm laughing my a$$ off that people will pay money for 10 lousy channels. I don't care what the quality is, I don't care to watch animals mating at 1080i.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 55
It shouldn't be so difficult to buy a tv. I mean, I embrace the new technology and excited about it but at the hefty price tag but I really enjoyed the days of just picking up a tv based on the #1 thing...picture quality. With LCD, DLP' s and worries about respective issues like bad/stuck pixels, not true black, etc., along with their price, I just can't afford to buy a $3,000 tv for it not too work and have tech support who really don't support.

I take a close look at my 27" sony that's about 6-8 years old, with Dish Network, and I see that it's grainy/pixelated-like so I think people just don't notice it as much on the CRT's...but then when people upgrade to a large screen tv, they blame the tv for bad PQ, when in reality it's been there all along. Martini, maybe you can check your CRT tv and see if you notice anything. Like for example., I'm watching G4TechTv channel, TVLand, and I definitely notice it. Even more so on the local channels. Mind you, this is just Standard Def. So I don't know that I really buy too much into the HD set displays SD progams poorly. I invite you all to take a close look at your set.

clueless_in_pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
LCD doesnt have the contrast ratios of the DLP or LiCOS (sp?) .. the blacks dont look as black. plus LCD has screen burn in issues I think (not sure) but if you want to use video game on it (maybe an issue)

finally doesnt LCD you could have a cell go bad vs DLP its all mirrors so the worst is one of the mirror may stick but it wont affect the same amount of space as a bad LCD cell...

clueless_in_pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
oh yeah isnt LCD larger in size physically for the same size screen. and yes the Contrast difference is noticable. put an LCD and an HD3 or HD2+ samsung next to it and you can definitely notice that the black looks like black on the DLP and looks like an off black (dark grey) on LCD

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Clueless, Yea I know what you mean about black being black. Thats why I enjoy my JVC CRT 27" tv.

Jaime,

I completely agree and are practically in the same shoes as you are on this HDTV purchasing situation. I was a 50"+ HDTV that is affordable and will have ZERO issues. I've had a Panasonic and a JVC tv in my life and they both have had no problems. I'll also have to look into those grainy/pixelated channels on my TV to see if its the signal. I doubt it is since I have Comcast (only composite connection, I should get S-video) and I got a top of the line 32" tv. Plus its got a great filter in it for better picture.

Anonymous

This is the beauty of a free market that everyone has a choice to pick the TV best fit for one's own use. The reasons could be that LCD projection:
1. is a more muture technology
2. inch by inch is cheaper
3. has no wheel spinning noise and rainbow effect
4. is marketed by more trusted brands like Sony, Hitachi, etc. and not by Samsung or RCA
5. has more models available

Username: Danop

Post Number: 2
Take a good, long look at the DLPs.....I know for me, and some others, I kind of get sick looking at it. And I mean literally get a headache. I don't see rainbows but I do see alot of 'shimmer' which may be caused by the color wheel. Don't know.

As someone else here pointed out, the DLP has reliability problems and satisfaction issues as many have complained about in the AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/poll.php?s=&action=showresults&pollid=2135

And the NTSC picture is about the worse you can get from any technology. You're getting a widescreen for HD and DVDs....but you'll still watch alot of standard def programs.

Anyway, you be the judge of picture quality. The reliability/dissatisfaction issue though would be a real concern to me if I were to consider a DLP.

Meso
Unregistered guest
Not to give a statistics lesson here, but that poll is pretty worthless. Look at the sample size, 144 people. I'm pretty sure that 144 votes would not pass a test of significance when compared to the total number of units on the market.

On the DLP versus LCD issue, both are proven technologies, but both have pros and cons. I have a 61 inch DLP, purchased in January. No problems yet. Almost bought a 60 inch Sony LCD set, but couldn't get one...there was apparently a quality control issue with the bulbs around that time that held up the supply chain.

Username: Danop

Post Number: 3
I know there is no way a poll like that can pass a statistical significancy test. Still, from a common sense standpoint, you have many, many owners who are not satisfied.....and not just in this poll. Read the other DLP threads and you'll see what I mean. Read the CRT threads, for comparison sake, and you see very little dissatisfaction. You can draw your own conclusions from that comparison.

Meso
Unregistered guest
Yes, wasn't poking at your message at all, just saying I wouldn't make a buying decision on any poll without some more data. Personally, I think the CRT based systems have a slight, ever so slight PQ edge, and they are a proven, sound technology with little maintenance concerns. But, I just replaced Mitsubishi SDTV set, 60 inches, what a monster. People want something with a good screen size, great PQ, but low footprint. Plasma, too expensive, life span suspect and the technology is about as advanced as it will get. LCD, doesn't beat DLP for overall picture quality, IMHO. DLP, especially the projected 3 chip designs that will not have a color will eliminate a significant maintenance concern for users. As far as vendors, I was down to Sony and their LCD sets, and someone from the DLP market. That left RCA and Samsung. RCA, doesn't have the quality control reputation at all. Sony, in the last 2 years I have had a terrible time with their customer support. Terrible. This was with a high end digital camera and a medium level DTS/DD receiver. Then, just when I decide to give them another chance, they have a major problem with the bulb unit in their 60" LCD sets (January 2004). I hear that's been resolved. Apparently Samsung has had some problems with the HLN line which I have. I have been fortunate so far to not have any problems. The set display is mesmerizing in quality on HD sources and even the newer DVDs have a very near HD quality to them. And, I can tell you, that the issue of burn in was a very real concern for me, CRTs, Plasma and LCDs are very vulnerable to this.

DJ
Unregistered guest
i've owned a 50v500 for 11 months, and yesterday CC took it back on a service exchange (they couldn't fix it after 8 weeks of it being broken.)

i'm standing there, and there's a new hitachi lcd, and the samsung dlp right next to it. my dilemma: do i buy a new hitachi knowing it's reliability, or do i try something new.

i opted for new. i got a hlp5063w based on side-by-side comparisons. try it for 30 days, if i don't like it, probably back to the sony lcd, or in a moment of weakness the hitachi.

i'll let you know what i think. again, i think 11 months is a significant test period for the lcd technology. i've had my creme-fresche if you will, 8 weeks with nothing, so now i'm primed for dlp.

we shall see

free bird
Unregistered guest
The rainbow effect is reason enough to put a checkmark in the "no" box next to dlp on my buying checklist. I've read the next generation dlp will not have the rainbow effect for whatever reason that I don't remember.

I've seen lcd's made by one manufacturer that stand out above all others and that manufacturer is Syntax. American TV has them on the floor and I have to say that next to all of the other LCD tv's and dlp tv's the Syntax tv's shine. They are being sold in 27" and 30" with larger sizes and an lcos model coming out this year. At this point, I am holding out for an hdtv with 1080p resolution.

DBS
Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased a Samsung 56" dlp. The quality of picture is outstanding. Even SD broadcasts are often received with undeniable excellent quality. I have never seen a rainbow effect from any of the source materials. As some contributers say, this may be an optical issue with particular individuals.

My broadcast source is Bell ExpressVu satellite. Almost all of the programming received is great. Even watching the daily local news is a treat, just for the visual quality - and it is SD. The point I'm trying to make is that the source signal has to be half decent in order to get any kind of PQ. Setting up your system correcly is likely the next item of priority. For instance, I recenty purchased a new LG dvd with a DVI output. I read a very detailed test report on this device and it was determined that it's DVI output performance was poor. When connected with component inputs and operated at 1080i it outperformed almost everything including other DVDs with DVI in DVI mode. Therefore, it's important to do your homework to ensure you are maximizing your signal quality.

Forums are a platform for all of us to exchange ideas and experiences. Often I observe comments from individuals that appear to be statements designed to provide themselves whith encouragement that they had made the right decision in their purchase. Everyone has different tastes, opinions and resources. If money is not an issue, go to a supplier who has all of the different formats, line up the TVs and have a look. Buy what pleases you that you can afford. You will not be happy watching an inferior picture for 10 years because of an unfamiliarity in the technology or to save $100.00.

So far, I have no regrets with dlp. Samsung is the present leader in this regard. Don't be surprised to see the other leading manufacturers following suit in the near future.

DBS

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know what a stuck or broken mirron an a Samsung DLP looks like? I have a black dot on there, and was told that it was probably the mirror. Does anyone know if this is acceptable or if they will fix it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us