Panasonic vs JVC

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 71
To anyone thinking of buying a Panasonic DVD recorder take a look at the JVC and think again. I have been using both for awhile now and can tell you that the JVC is a far superior machine for only a slightly higher price. The advantages are almost too long to list here but first and most important is picture, the JVC definitely has a noticably better picture than the Panasonics, it also uses more of the disc giving 2 hours 14 minutes in SP on a DVD-R, the Panasonic records for 2 hours and stops even though there is still space left on the disc. Panasonic gives only 4 record speeds, unless timer recording with flexible record, the JVC is adjustable in 5 minute increments from 1 to 6 hours giving the ability to get the best possible recording with available disc space. It also records to RW discs the Panasonics do not. The list of advantages goes on and on, too many to list here. The only disadvantages that I have found are disc labeling, Panasonic gives more options, and quick timer recording, the JVC though it holds 2 hours 14 minutes will only let the quick timer be set for 2 hours in SP. To anyone who wants a hard drive they are due to come out very soon if they haven't already.

Username: Wabkab

Post Number: 7
Yes, I can second that about the JVC recorder. I recently nabbed one from J&R for 340 on a price match. It's functions are good as is the picture of recorded and factory discs. Haven't tried ram or rw yet, though. So far so good, but the panny's have a strong track record.
Tony B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
My Panasonic E20 that I paid $800 for only lasted 2 1/2 years before the drive went out and it needed $360 in repairs to fix it, so their track record isn't very good with me. Fortunately I bought a 5 year warranty on it and got the JVC as a replacement from the warranty company, I didn't want another Panasonic, but that ended that warranty when they replaced the unit. The JVC is definitely a superior recorder though and I am actully happy that the Panasonic died since I ended up with a much better recorder. Most of the electronics I own are Panasonic and I have had good luck with them up until the recorder, but I am really starting to doubt their quality lately, many people are complaining about their DVD players only lasting a year or so before they die.

Post Number: 8
Yes, I guess I was referring to them being around a few years/generations. I really don't know the good, the bad and the ugly on the pannys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
I've used 4 Panasonics over a 3 year period, the JVC is definitely a better machine. $340 was a pretty good price on it, I saw it for $299 at e-cost awhile back and at the time they had 56 of them, but when I went back a few days later they were all gone and the machine wasn't even in their system anymore so I don't think they are getting anymore.

Post Number: 9
Yes, I was a little leary about E-cost and J&R wouldn't price match them saying that they were not an credible dealer. I then mentioned 6th ave @340 or 350 and the salesperson said he'd do 340. It's been great and so far all my DVD-r's have played on multiple machines, old and new. TDK and Maxell brands
Tony B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I haven't tried either of those discs but don't use Optodiscs they are garbage. I've been using the Prodiscs lately they seem to work fine and they only cost about 40 cents per disc when bought 100 at a time, that's on a spindle without cases but Office Max has cases pretty cheap after rebates regulary.

Username: Digitaldreams

Post Number: 1
The JVC recorded picture quality is bad,
It is not sharp and has alot of video noise.
Even in the 2 Hour Speed.

However, the real problem with this JVC is its inability to record entirely through a disc without detecting disc errors and then during the finalizing process.

I have been using JVC Video recorders for many years. So I am very dissapointed in the poor quality of this unit.

After trying to record approximately 50 DVD discs
on JVC , from various brands.

I had to discard most of the discs.
If you are looking for a quality DVD Recorder.
This is NOT the machine for you.

This JVC DVD recorder seems like it was created on how not to make a DVD Recorder.

The big ugly remote is covered with poorly labeled buttons.

The cable eye used to set the vcr/dvd timer is NOT included.

You have to fill out a form and mail it to JVC for it.

The instruction manual is poorly written.

I returned this unit for a TOSHIBA DR-2 and am very happy.

Thank You to Crutchfield for being so nice and accpeting my return with free return postage!

Username: Digitaldreams

Post Number: 2
The JVC recorded picture quality is bad,
It is not sharp and has alot of video noise.
Even in the 2 Hour Speed.

However, the real problem with this JVC is its inability to record entirely through a disc without detecting disc errors and then during the finalizing process.

I have been using JVC Video recorders for many years. So I am very dissapointed in the poor quality of this unit.

After trying to record approximately 50 DVD discs
on JVC , from various brands.

I had to discard most of the discs.
If you are looking for a quality DVD Recorder.
This is NOT the machine for you.

This JVC DVD recorder seems like it was created on how not to make a DVD Recorder.

The big ugly remote is covered with poorly labeled buttons.

The cable eye used to set the vcr/dvd timer is NOT included.

You have to fill out a form and mail it to JVC for it.

The instruction manual is poorly written.

I returned this unit for a TOSHIBA DR-2 and am very happy.

Thank You to Crutchfield for being so nice and accepting my return with free return postage!

Post Number: 10
I haven't had any of the problems you have stated, even with the 4 hour mode recording Lord of the rings from Tivo. I've only tried Maxell and TDK DVD-R discs. Great picture quality and playable on everything I've tried them in, including Toshiba. Good luck with your new player and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
My JVC works excellent. The discs play on everything I've tried, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Pioneer and X-Box with very good quality. I've recorded 200 or so without a problem yet. You must have got a defective one. The manual is not very good, I'll agree on that. The machine is great though. The quality of Toshiba's products is poor at best.

Unregistered guest
My JVC seems to be on the fritz, it has started to emit green flashes, especially at the end and beginning of recording and frequently freezing. Do I need to send it back?

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Sounds like it to me. I haven't had any problems with the one I have except the unit locking up a couple of times, which both Panasonics did once in awhile too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I thought this thread was dead. But since it isn't, the unit I bragged on earlier is now DEAD. It started flashing the LED display, tried everything to reset it, called JVC and was told to send it in. Also, it was just past the 90 day labor period by 10 days. JVC will not give me a break on this when I asked. That convinced me to look for another brand of TV since I was really going to buy the D-ILA 52 DLP. Unfortunate, because I did like the unit while it worked.
Tony B

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
If you used a credit card to pay for it alot of card companies double the original warranty up to 1 year. If you used a card which supports this you have 6 months of warranty not 3. I always use my card for electronics for this reason.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us