Video games on DLP

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 94
I have been doing some online research on the different versions of Sammy DLP tvs. These tvs are sooo amazing and only will cost you around 3k-4k. Not too bad for a 50+" HDTV that has the quality of Plasma.

I plan on using a Sammy DLP (possibly their new HLP model with the 3rd gen. chip or I'll wait for something even newer), but I plan on using it for DVDs, SD tv, maybe HD in the near future and most importantly VIDEO GAMES! I wanna hook up my PLAYSTATION 2 to it and play Madden 2005 none stop and Grand Theft Auto.

I heard that some issues are coming up when playing either Xbox or PS2 on any of these DLP tvs. Is this true and what are they?

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 17
Martini,

You sound like me. I'm wanting the DLP for DVD's (James Bond DVD's and I'm sure the upcoming StarWars Original Trilogy on DVD will looks spectacular), SD and HD as well as video games. Although my passion for videogaming seems to be diminishing (at the age of 32) but it could be because I'm playing on a 27" TV and for a year I've been trying to convince myself to buy a widescreen tv. I own an Xbox and a PS2 and there are no problems with the Xbox. You definitely will benefit by using the "High Definition AV Pack" and even if you don't, there aren't any problems unless you're playing a game that has alot of stuff active in the background, specifically fighting games According to the person I talked to.
On the PS2, (my preferred console), again some problems may occur with fighting game because of so much stuff happening on the screen. For football, baseball games, GrandTheft Auto and StarWars games, there is hardly a sync problem. I have an older PS2 and it worked well. I took the PS2 and connected it and I didn't notice any problems. I am planning on buying the Samsung DLP HLP5063w because the HLP's seem to finally have gotten it right. I believe the 7 color wheel helps.

Hope this helps.
I'd like to hear your experience if indeed you buy this tv also. What games do you play on PS2?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Jaime,

Then it seems like the new HLP tv is fine for video games. I also wonder if this is just being picky or not because I might not even notice the problem, or will I?

Also, I might wait a while to buy one of these tvs. I have the money now but it seems the models coming out soon are gonna be giant leaps in technology. Jaime, did you see the HLP5063w on Crutchfield or at Circuit City or Best Buy? I saw the best price at CC, but I need to also consider the warrenty (just for a new bulb in 3 years anyway).

As for the PS2 games I would be playing: SSX 3, all Grand Theft Auto games, Metal Gear Solid, maybe some racing games, Madden 2005. Or anything good that comes around. I would also want to hook up my PC to this tv to play Doom3 or Half Life 2 when they come out.

You?

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 22
Martini,
1st off, I sent you a private message about another thing.

2nd, here's what I did. When I finally decided I was going to buy the HLP5063w, I went to shopsunshine.com, because they have an excellent price of $2800. I printed it out (just to show salesman as proof) and then called my nearby Circuit City and Ultimate Electronics and both were willing to come close to the price. So I suggest you doing that as well. I'm going with Ultimate Electronics because the guy can come lower to the price than CC and I'm getting their extended service plan. If I don't use their service plan at the end of it's run, be it the 3 year or 5 year, they will refund 50% of it. Can't go wrong...but I need to find out from the guy I'm dealing with, if their plan includes bulb replacement. Dishnetwork just called and should be here in about a 1/2 hour.

As for ps2, I play Metal Gear Solid 2, GrandTheftAuto games, MVP2004, Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain, Gallop Racer, G1 Jockey 3...so I'm definitely awaiting GTA:San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, and probably Gran Turismo4.

As for pc, I also plan on hooking up my computer but my laptop nor my desktop has a dvi-output...but I can probably connect to the tv via s-video or the pc port (vga 15pin).

Where are you at in terms of this tv? you going to get one soon?

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 23
forgot to mention, all starwars games.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Jaime,

1st off, I didn't get your private message because I don't know how to access them. But now I see that they come to my email.

2nd :-) , That site you gave me www.shopsunshine.com does not have the HLP models. Also those are referbished models and I don't know if I would trust an online site. BUT I like your method of bargaining for these tvs, because they wanna see huge items like these. Check out www.pricegrabber.com because I'm seeing some on there for way less. But like I said, I'd be too afraid to buy from one of those shaddy companies. I have heard many times that people get burned or have to wait forever. I was gonna get my Yamaha RXV2400 receiver from a company on there and they didn't even have the receiver when I called. Buyer BEWARE! Also, if I was going to buy online, it would be from www.Crutchfield.com they are perfect. I got my Polk RM6700 speakers from them and lots of cables.

3rd (alright I'll stop), I would definately get a 5 year warrenty. I'll also have to look into warrenties to see if they refund 50% if nothing happens and also if they will replace the bulb when it dies.

I forgot about good Star Wars games but there are barely any for PS2. PC or Xbox are better for that and I don't have an xBox. But PCs are better anyway. I'm dying to get GTA:SA this october. Ever play Vice City in DTS sound? Its amazing and I can't imagine it on a HLP5063w tv. oooooohhh baby!

Where I am with this tv purchase....just researching. I may get one this fall, I may get one next summer. Who knows! I would rather wait and see more bugs worked out of these DLP tvs. Also wanna see if other brands come along and see how LCD/Plasma/DLP look in the future. But I think DLP is here to stay. At 17" deep, you can only beat that but at double the price. And that aint worth the extra money at possibly a smaller screensize.

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 24
Martini,
I wouldn't steer you wrong. I have a printout from shopsunshine.com and they have the HLP5063W. Did you put the W in the search? If not, it won't come up with results...but here is the direct link for the 50.
http://www.shopsunshine.com/Item.asp?Pid=931&Item_Id=1805
and for the 56"
http://www.shopsunshine.com/Item.asp?Pid=931&Item_Id=1817

Like you, I would never buy something this expensive online, but I use this website as a bargaining tool. Although DISH NETWORK failed today with hooking me up (the idiot I think was blown away with the fact that I have a townhouse with vaulted ceiling) I have a reschedule for Tuesday with a "Lead Tech" from a different installer. I still am going to talk to my Ultimate Electronics person who is willing to work a deal with me. Where do you live Martini?
Do you have an Ultimate Electronics in your area? www.ultimateelectronics.com

There are plenty of good starwars games for PS2. Bounty Hunter was awesome. Super Bombad Racing (gotta love that) but true..the best SW games are on the pc! Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy and it's all about Xwing series or the Tie Fighter Series!!! The upcoming SW games "Republic Commando" and "Battlefront" look awesome!!! I'm a huge SW fan. My basement is basically my SW room, as I collect the figures.
GTA in DTS is indeed awesome...gotta love the 80's music too!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Jaime,

I must have missed those links when I was looking through that site. Good prices. I once lived in the midwest and I did see an Ultimate Electronics store. I must say that if you are going to buy something high-end for A/V, that is the best place to go. I have never seen so many plasma tvs in one location!

For buying one of these expensive TVs, I'm lucky because I live fairly close to Delaware and they don't have sales tax! :-) So if I can get it to fit in my car, I'm set. Otherwise I have to pay for shipping and then I get nailed with taxes. Anything to do to save a buck.

I would want to take a PS2 into Best Buy or CC to test out some stuff on those tvs, but I would feel weird. So you only noticed those problems on fast moving games? I would think something like GTA would have those issues

How close are you to buying that HLP tv? or do you already have it?

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 32
Martini,

The purchase of the TV is contingent on Dish Network being able to provide me satellite service and wiring a spare bedroom (which doesn't have cable outlet) which would house the new HDTV. It would be stupid to spend a whole lot of money for a tv that you can't use all it's capabilities.
That being said, I guess I might wait for the new xx74w series, which supposedly is coming out in August. Which supposedly has 7 color wheel and the HD2+ chip. Granted it's more expensive too but I plan on doing my same bargaining with the Ultimate Electronics people.
Keep in touch.

steve771
Unregistered guest
I'm having an input delay on video games on my Samsung 56". What you see on the screen vs. when you hit the buttons is off by 1/2 to 1 second. Samsung has no ideas and I swapped out for another TV (less than 14 days), but I have the same problem. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Steve771-
are you using xbox, gamecube, or playstation2?
and how are you connecting the system? composite,s-video,component (or high def pack if using xbox)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Just figured I would post again. I was away for the week and have alot of catching up to do on this forum to read on whats new with LCD and DLP tvs.

Still seems here that there is an issue with video games on these systems. If thats the case, I'm not getting one of these tvs until its resolved. However, it may be a cabling problem but I should be OK cause I got component/fiber optic cables for my PS2 and they are great!

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 54
Hey Martini! Good to see you posting again.
I still haven't bought my DLP because of the same concern you have but I visited another forum and apparently this person got an "official answer". Note that the post was on June 24th, 2004.

"So I spoke with Samsung again today as there tip to turn off "DNIE" to solve my sync problem didn't work and I learned some very interesting information:

The "part" that they are using to fix the A/V sync issue in the HLN's recently became available in the April/May timeframe. I asked why my new HLP had the sync problem then and he responded that it was made prior to that release date! I verified with him that he realized I was talking about the brand new HLP model that hasn't even hit the shelf in most places and he said yes. He told me to look at my serial number. The 8th character in shows the year (x=2004, he didn't tell me any other years) and the next character is the month that it was produced (1-9 correspond to calendar months and A=Oct, B=Nov, and C=Dec). Mine is a 3 which means it was produced in March of 2004, 2 months prior to the "fix" part being released!!

He went on to tell me that they had been manufacturing them for several months as they expected to sell alot of units this year and didn't want to have supply issues as they did at some points with the HLN's.

Another interesting thing is he was pretty sure that the "upgrade as he called it" (the base model with the cablecard and tuner) in the 50" should hit shelves in the July/August timeframe.

Moral of this story is that they do have a fix for any unit with a sync issue, it requires them to come out and replace a "board or two", and any HLP with a Serial number of anything below #######X6###### has the possibility to exhibit the sync issue (back lower corner of TV to find SN).

As for me I will probably return my set rather than have my 2 week old set have a service call and search for one with a higher serial number. Otherwise I will get back in line and wait for another month or two.

For those of you interested the CSR's name was Jamie (male).

I am going to crosspost this in the HLN sync thread since I don't know how to make a link so if any mod wants to change it feel free, I just thought the HLN folks might find it valuable."

If you want to see the complete thread,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=415900&perpage=20&page number=1

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Thanks Jaime, nice post and good info!

Hey...is it me or does it seem really really easy for everyone with one of these tvs to just return them with no questions asked? I guess as long as you get the warrenty and show them all the paperwork, then you're fine. I guess the only hassel is bringing the tv back to the store and obviously not have one after that.

I still think I'm gonna wait for Samsung to release more DLP tv models such as the 85s

cracker23
Unregistered guest
i bought a 5063w yesterday and there's an input delay with my xbox. drives me crazy. mine was built in june 04. the samsung guy told me it was a microsoft problem and not theirs. also, my audio sync problem comes and goes. any thoughts?

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 57
I'm always leary about these "unregistered guests". On AVSforum, a couple people I have been in contact with have told me they have not had any problems, especially with the xbox. I'm more concerned about the PS2 but some of my anxiety was taken care of.
CRACKER23- Read below, maybe it'll help you.

I have the HLN4365W, with PS2, Xbox, HTPC, etc. (see my setup in my signature). It works great for gaming - and it's great that most Xbox games are in 480p (never played one that wasn't, I think). A lot (of the ones I play, anyway) even have widescreen support. Check hdtvarcade.com (I'm on the forums there too) for mode/resolution support.

Anyway, the Samsung DLP are considered the best gaming HDTVs right now. I think the RP-LCD sets have motion blur, while DLPs don't.

If you want some places to check out comparisons, here you go:
http://www.digiupdate.com/100_Selecting_HD_Display.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-1016109.html

With my setup, having PS2 on component input 1 (480i/480p), and the Xbox and DVD player on inputs 2 & 3 (480p, 720p, 1080i), I had a problem with the Xbox Dashboard only being in 480i, as I couldn't view it on input 2. But I recently hooked it up to my router and popped in an Xbox Live compatible game to invoke the dashboard update (didn't sign up for Xbox Live, just downloaded the update). Once you have the updated dashboard, you can press in both thumbsticks and pull both L/R triggers at the same time to get the Dashboard to display in 480p (timing is tricky, but the setting will stick even if you turn the box off). You can also pull both triggers and hold X and Y to get the Dashboard menus to float to prevent burn-in, although that's a non-issue with DLPs, since there is no burn in. So with a 480p Dashboard, now I'm all set. Having an HTPC is awesome as well (although you can do almost as good with a new up-scaling DVD player (Zenith, Samsung, Momitsu) for about $200 or so, upscaling to 720p or 1080i and going through DVI. Probably not as good/sharp as a well-calibrated HTPC will get you, but it's a lot cheaper if that's all you need it for. I use mine for DVDs now, but bought it for a main PC, storage and DVD-burning for home videos (2 daughters), play music on it, and games (although all I do is download demo versions, unfortunately).

But be careful, as although the component inputs accept 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i, all the signals, I think the HLP models only have 2 component inputs, where the HLN models have 3. If you need more component connections, you may need to use a surround receiver with component switching capabilities, or get a component video switcher (Pelican, etc.), which I think run between $100-200.

Danny337
Unregistered guest
I just got a Samsung DLP and while I was playing Sonic Heroes on the Gamecube I noticed a half-second delay from when I press a button or even move the joystick. Is there any way of fixing this problem?

Anonymous

yes there is a way of fixing this problem.
results may vary...you need to read through the posts, don't be lazy!!! but a couple suggestions:

turn off DNIE
make sure you have the gc connected via COMPONENT cables (red,green,blue),

Danny 337
Unregistered guest
Alright I'll see if that works. I don't have the component cables yet but hopefully when I get them it will be fixed.

scslotnick
Unregistered guest
Danny- I have the same problem with PS2. No real fix. Samsung said their TV isnt compatible with PS2 I am returning mine.

Username: Terrygore

Plano, TX

Post Number: 6
To maximize your viewing experience, you really need the XBOX and Hi-Def AV pack. It absolutely blows away the PS/2.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 28
I 2nd terry's statement!

Xbox owns PS2!

Username: Actionj

Post Number: 2
I bought the Samsung hlp5063 with a July production date. I hooked up my gamecube through the standard composite nintendo cable and had the delay problem. I then ordered the component cable and all problems went away and games that support progressive scan look great. For example SSX 3 looks amazing on the samsung.

also_anonymous
Unregistered guest
I hooked up my xbox to my new HLP4663W....used a 3rd party HD pack (madcatz)...and it sucked.
Switched to MS HD pack and it actually blew me away. Drool and everything.
Amped 2 (720p) is surreal.

Unregistered guest
Has anyone played with the guns like on house of the dead and such? My current projection tv doesn't support them, but I heard that DLP clears this problem up. Any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us