Digital vs Analog Recording

Username: Henro

Post Number: 1
Since Comcast went totally digital, I can only receive channels 1 through channel 21 on my TV if I connect directly to the cable from the wall. I have had to change my last TV to digital by acquiring one of their desktop boxes. Now I can't use my video recorder to record my shows to watch later. Even though I routed the new box through my recorder to the TV, it will only record the channel I am watching, which defeats the purpose of the recorder if I have to watch what I am recording at the time I am recording it. My question is, can I use another box, to convert the Comcast digital signal to analog and continue to use my VHS recorder or am I stuck with a digital signal and must use DVR technology?} HELP!!!

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 585
If your old-style analog TV can still get some of the channels without using the cable box, then Comcast did NOT go totally digital in your area.

If your cable signals for the other channels are unencrypted, then you can get a RF splitter and one of those digital TV converter boxes (http://www.walmart.com/ip/AccessHD-Digital-Analog-Converter-Box-1080D/14869369. You can only do this if the channel you want to record is ClearQAM.

The big question is how many of the digital channels are unencrypted. http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ may give you an idea.

If most of digital channels are encrypted then you have no choice but to rent from them another cable box and use a RF splitter. You would connect the RF splitter to the cable outlet on the wall. Then connect a cable box to each output of the RF splitter. Connect your VCR to one of the cable box and connect the old-style TV to the other cable box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us