Sony SXRD TV Yellow Tint Problem

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2230
Well, I was hoping I was immune, but my SXRD Sony has begun to show the dread 'yellow tint' problem.
Too bad. I really like this set. With the exception of 'only' a pair of HDMI and lamp replacement, I'd have stuck with this set for a long time.
Now, I'll have to go with Sony and see what 'the latest offer' is and pony up another 500$ or MORE for an LCD replacement.

Any advice as to which Sony line to avoid? Is the EX line OK? How about the NX line? Will Sony allow me to pick a set than make ME an offer?....say if I want a set 'not on the list'.

phooey!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16087
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/sony_tv.html

http://www.complaint.tv/sony.html

http://search.complaints.com/search?btnG=Search%2BComplaints.com&output=xml_no_d td&sort=date%253AD%253AL%253Ad1&client=complaints&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&proxystylesh eet=complaints&site=complaints&q=Sony&x=0&y=0

http://www.measuredup.com/search?q=Sony&x=0&y=0

Hi Leo!

Sony product low grade TV with a high cost, there is so many complaint about them.

Are you realy sure that you want a new Sony product?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16088
http://www.consumercourt.in/television/4141-sony-bravia-lcd-panel-very-high-repl acement-cost.html

Look Sony problem with LCD panel!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2231
Pretty much stuck, Plym.
Even the least expensive Vizio would cost about 2x as much as a 'new' Sony of the same size...based on the really big discount Sony gives to those they've already burned.

When I started trying to figure out my options, they wanted to sell me a KDL-55NX810 for about 700$ delivered. If this is 'the final solution', I'd be happy.

BUT after your extensive links, I still have that here-we-go feeling like you get when you have a blowout on the freeway doing 80. (MPH, not KPH).
I assure you, after removing the lamp, my SXRD will be powdered and sent back to Sony in a Fxxxxing Box.

At this point, do I have any options? Sony apparently NEVER issued an upgraded part for this set. Replace with new, junk out old seems to be the only option, right?
Are the Projectors which are ALSO SXRD having the same issues? Should I get a projector and be done with it? Or are they junk, too?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16091
Leo

You can see the Sony politic with the custumer on my last link about LCD, they tried to limit the bad publicity on them without success, none of custumer come back with a low cost solution, they accused the customers of bad handling!

Same thing happened to Honda buyers blowing their motors!

The projector seem to have the same problem so why buying a projector and have to replace the lamp!

On your TV you has 4 fans, usualy one of those fan stop by dusting or sleeve bearing worn out, Sony does not have a temp sensor to stop the lamp to prevent the optical block burning!

Another bad comment for Sony here:

Controversy

While capable of producing good high definition picture quality, Sony have had problems mastering the technology of mass producing the rear projector version of these displays. There has been a high failure rate on the optical blocks of these displays which results in the need to repeatedly replace the optical blocks on a percentage of these displays. Sony previously settled a class action lawsuit filed by owners of the first generation of the SXRDs, and apparently was unsuccessful in correcting this defect which has resulted in Sony ceasing production of all SXRD rear projector sets and having new class-action lawsuits filed by owners of most the second generation sets. The second generation class action suits were recently filed and are pending in Federal Court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SXRD#Controversy

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16092
Look this site which explain very well the problems with the SXRDs:

http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2236
I keep my set vacuumed....at least the outside venting. If I've got a dustbunny the size of a basketball causing excess heating, I'm done for. My set is not in the overheating group.
No heat sensor or overtemp protection? Figures.

I was looking on a projector site today. LG sells a projector with SXRD technology. I think Sony still does, too.
If it is the same optical block it'll have the same problem and only last so long. No Sale unless I can see documentation that the original defect has been addressed. I'm not sure I want a projector, anyway. Wiring problems. Screen? What screen gain? Setup? I can't have a screen any larger than about 65", which I can get in a direct view and save all the hassles. Nope, seems like a LCD panel is going on the list.

Nobody has yet said WHAT the problem is. 'Heat related'. 'Handling during manufacturing?' other issue? I think there are cover slips OVER each panel (RGB) and out of the focal plane. These collect dust which does not effect the picture. IF these films yellow, they will effect whatever color or combination it happens on. And it'll be out of focus.
IF the covers were made out of heat proof optical glass, that would work. I've worked with such glass in the semiconductor industry. This glass is used for masks or reticles which hold each layers pattern during manufacture. If somebody smears a finger on such a surface, the image of the print will 'cook' in. It can be cleaned if caught in time. On hi-pressure lamps, a single finger smudge will result in early lamp failure.
When I changed lamps in my SXRD I wore Latex or Vinyl gloves.

I have seen much of the info on the last link. I happened to buy my set in the highest sales number single year. Bingo!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2247
I've found several sources for rebuilt light engines.
Not that expensive, either...maybe 300$ +
Than, put it in. $$$ unless you can DIY.
Unfortunately, they apparently rebuild them WITHOUT any improvements to the design so you'll have the same issue in time AGAIN.
At least one of 'em will give me 75$ for my light engine.......tempting but I'd rather smash it into pieces than wish it on someone else.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 839
Leo sorry to read about your TV. A friend had a Sony SXRD and the picture recently went green. I suggested a Panasonic Plasma but he got Samsung. You and I have bantered back and forth about TVs before and I still think a 50" Panosonic plasma w/ 720P picture will give you a great picture for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50X3-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBHK

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2278
Casey,
Thanks mucho. You've been helpful and reasonable. I really wish I could afford a plasma.....I think some of the lifetime and buzzing issues have been worked out. I don't know how much heat the current sets kick out, though. Probably less as efficiency rises. I'll look up tha Panny Plasma and see how much $$. No deep pockets, here!

I'm kind of in a bind, though. My SXRD is basically worthless. One of the optical block rebuild companies offered me cash for my block......Too bad nobody has figured out an improved part so the problem won't just recur in xx years. So, I've got a choice. Fix the SXRD for a 300$ part, and take a couple days to put it in. At that point, I may want to replace some fans, too. At that point the clock starts ticking. And it WILL happen again. no question.
OR Take the Sony offer and have a new set shipped to me. It'll be an 'inferior' LCD and only an OK one, at that. The price premium on Sony stuff as you go upline appears to be feature oriented, NOT a better picture. All Sony sets but the top-line 900 series are edge lit. So, for about 700$ delivered, I have a 'new' set, a Sony (worthless) Warranty and a new set of potential problems. No lamp, though, and the poor black levels which some reviewers note.
OR Sell the Sony for parts. If I can part it out for more $$, so much the better. Take that and the money I was going to give Sony and buy a commodity LCD. The Vizeo 3xvt series gets good reviews and has a terrific picture. A neighbor has the 47" version that I hooked. Quite a nice picture.

I can't think of a 4th plan, other than give up TV altogether.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2279
The REST of the good news is that I didn't know about the class action stuff until TOO LATE. Now, I doubt I can even go to small claims court since I didn't OPT OUT to preserve my options.

Any lawyers out there with some free advice?

The alleged settlement was a non-funny joke. It didn't even rise to the level of 'slap on the wrist'.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 841
Leo you say you can't afford a plasma but you will spend $700 on a Sony LCD. I gave you a link for a Panasonic plasma for $718 with free shipping from Amazon. Yes it's a 720P TV but I'm sure it has a better picture than an LCD. Buzzing, lifetime, heat and other plasma issues have all been worked out for some time now.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2285
It's been a long time since I even considered a Plasma set.
Currently, looking at the options. The new ones are much better than I remember.
It figures that the engineering types have been hard at work on what were the weaknesses of plasma sets. however, it looks like they still use more power. The screen burn in issue? Somekind of movement so pixels don't get steady use. Also, a review referred to a burn in routine within the set.
I don't care about 3-D or internet functions. PICTURE is #1. Seems the Sony LCD stuff has the same picture guts with added features as you go upline. Only the very very TOP Sony set has Zone type LEDs. The rest are edge lit. Disappointing, to say the least.

I'm trying to figure out absolute top $$ I can afford and shop to that price. One of the road blocks is the lack of good reviews and EVERY 'top-ten' list is different. Also, like Sony, Panasonic makes about 5 or 6 'levels' each one having a killer feature / capability which the level BELOW lacks. This, of course, to drive you 'up line'. Sheesh. Does the picture actually get better? Doesn't with Sony, that's for sure. They all use same / similar boards with additional features enabled. I WOULD eventually like Net Flix, but I think I'll wait for an Apple TV. 4 HDMI inputs would be nice. 3 may not cut it and switchers for HDMI are an additional expense. I don't care if the set even has speakers. The stereo works fine.

Thanks for link, I'll consider it a good start as a try to unravel the current state of Plasma sets. I'll be able to pull the trigger on this in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 843
Leo I am not sure if you recall but you and I had a debate a while back when I wrote on this site that people should stop wasting money on there rear projection TV that seem to be breaking down and get a Plasma. If it is now between LCD and Plasma flat panels, well plasma wins hands down when it comes to the picture. Yes an LCD is brighter and cost less to run but that is it. And when I say less to run it's not like your electric bill will go up substantially with plasma, I don't have the exact figure but I'm sure its not more than $1-3 a month. The cost of a 50" LCD over a plasma will wipe out any electric savings. LCDs need a 120 or 240 refresh rate to deal with movement and these features add to the cost. LED back lighting is so an LCD can produce better black levels, but without a full array of LED back lights they can not compete with a plasma which is made up of tiny plasma cells that can turn on and off to produce better blacks. You also have the off angle issue with LCD that the picture degrades as you move off center. Burn in issues have been dealt with as you mentioned and lifetime of the sets are now similar. The main thing that a Plasma has over an LCD is a better picture and cost per inch.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2288
yes, we 'spoke' on this subject a while back. i was hoping my SXRD would not have problems but I was ahead of myself. Now that it is dying I'm not going to rebuild the light engine, since it'll fail again in a few years no matter what.

I'm not overly worried about me electric bill. The last time I checked out plasma sets, they ran very warm. Very. That IS an issue, since electronic lifetime is related to heat. My house does have AC these days after 20+ years without.
California electric bills? Among the highest. We got a good going over by Enron power traders a few summers ago, and the state folded. FERC was no help and we (the residents) were stuck with the bill. I recently replaced a 20 year old refrigerator and my bill has dropped by about the predicted # of kwh monthy since than.

I'm very technical and aware of the LED backlighting techniques, if not the exact mechanical implimentation. The Sony I can can get the best deal on is edge lit. Only the 900 series, top of the line, is full array. I've heard tales of even the currrent Sony stuff having reliability issues, too. Plym was kind enough to link me some horror stories.

I'm going out later today and LOOK at some plasma sets. Feel the top for heat, too. I'll also look at the menu and see if a less-bright power saving mode is listed. Since I won't be getting the Sony 'deal', I'll have to look closely at the budget.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2289
I see the TCP50S30 for about 920$!
Worth the extra bucks for a 3rd HDMI and better line count, along with a few other 'sweeterner' features?
This looks like a winner, if real close to a budget buster.

I'm still pissed at Sony. I'll badmouth 'em every chance I get until I go room temperature.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2290
LG 50PK400 @$800?

I think it's 'last years' model and I can find no mention anywhere of this model.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 848
Panasonic is the way to go with Plasma. I hear you got the TCP50S30 good luck with your new set.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2291
Went to local Fry's.
Big deal.
The LG xx50" 450 model on sale for 600$. When I got the picture to work, the Jaggies were awful. Sales guy tried to tell me 'bad signal' which I don't buy.
They would also price match, so I went to a shopping site and found the Panasonic 50" S30 series for 917 and change. Of course, the set they showed 'in stock' five minutes ago was NOWHERE to be found. Bums.
New set? From an East Coast guy and lots of pressure for 'upgrades', but when palletized shipping came down to 50$, I added that.
Probably saved about 50$, counting California recycle fee. Not much but at least I don't have to go back to Fry's.

Now, how to be RID of the Sony? Smash/ box and ship to Sony?
Remove the optical block and sell to rebuilder for 75$? (use to defray cost of new set!)

here we go again.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us