Recording more than one analog program

Username: Brecky

Post Number: 1
I have a VCR & cable digital box. I have no trouble recording more than one 'digital' channel, or one analog channel which I leave on & set the VCR to channel 3, however, I can't figure out how to record 2 or more analog channels, ie other than channel 3. I have used an A/B splitter in the past & extra tuner box, but don't have that tuner or setup now.

It galls me that all with all the new technology, we can do less ;o( I used to be able to watch one channel & record another, or set my VCR to record 3 different channels, but no more..... waaaaaaaaa

Post Number: 2
Correction: I erred when I said I could set my VCR to record more than one digital channel. That is not the case. I can record more than one 'program' on one channel, but can only record one channel.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 394
You need to change the channel on the cable box to the program you want to record and keep the channel of the VCR on 3. This is the only way to get your recording onto VHS tape. This means you won't be able to do any timer recordings.

Your VCR's tuner is analog; the video feed by your cable provider is most likely not only digital but scrambled.

My cable company Comcast still carries analog TV signals. However, it is just for the basic network stations like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, and PBS.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4261
There are VCRs that use an IR blaster to change channels for recording. Wheather they would be compatible with your cable box I don't know. You'd have to do some research on that.

Post Number: 3
My VCR is an older Panasonic. I am able to set the channel when I'm setting up timed recording, but I have always chosen ch 3 as I didn't think I had a choice? I use my digital cable remote to set the channel I want to record, be it a regular or premium channel, & leave the cable box on & turn the TV off. I did try to record an analog channel by programming that channel in my VCR, but it didn't work. I didn't know if I had to leave the cable box on or off, or the TV on or off. I will ask the cable guy the next time he has to come over to check or fix something.

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
How are you connected now between the cable box and the VCR? Composite video? Or RF?

Post Number: 4
I checked the tangled mess just now.
The cable goes to cable box (Macrovision)
from cable box to VCR
from VCR to TV ch3 + TV ant.

I also have my VCR hooked up to my stereo via my tuner, ie from audio out on VCR to tuner and to my DVD player via my tuner.

My TV is an older Panasonic, my VCR is an older Panasonic, my cable box belongs to the cable company & I rent it, my tuner is an older Sony, my DVD player is an older Toshiba. I may get a DVD/recorder some day but I doubt that will help re timer recording more than one analog channel?

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Yes, but what is the connection between the VCR and the cable box? Are you using composite video (yellow RCA) or RF (F connector)?

Post Number: 5
Both connections in & out are thick coax cables. The in cable says RF in. I see a yellow jack on the cable box, presumably for an RCA connection, but the cable guy didn't hook me up that way. Would that make a difference? I must admit that this electronic stuff boggles my mind, easily ;o)

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
Got it.

It sounds like your cable box is similar to the Motorola DCT700.
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/ Set-tops/QAM%20Set-tops/All%20Digital%20QAM%20Set-tops/DCT700/_Documents/547552- 001_DCT700_User_Guide.pdf?localeId=33

The cable box takes the all-digital signal coming from the cable company and converts it to analog signal on channel 3 and channel 4 which is why both your TV and your VCR needs to be set to one of those channels. Your cable company may have that defaulted to channel 3.

To be able to record a different program from the one you are watching, you would need another cable box.

A DVD recorder may work if the channel you want to record is ClearQAM. I only have basic cable, so my DVD recorder works.
You would put a RF splitter before the cable box and have the outputs of the RF splitter going to the cable box and the DVD recorder.

To be able to record TV programs that are on two different channels, you will need to be there in person to change the channel on the cable box. An IR blaster may work if you are able to find the code that works with your model cable box.

I hope this helps.

Post Number: 6
Thanks again ieeeeeee. I rarely want to record another channel while I'm watching so that's not as critical. Most of my recordings are movies & I usually I do that during the night. I don't see me getting up to change channels LOL

At one time I had a signal dispatcher + A/B splitter that worked quite well for this sort of thing altho a tad complex, but for some reason, I gave it away LOL I think it stopped working once I got digital cable?

Anyway, it's not fatal & I will manage. I will bring this issue up the next time the cable guy is here. thanks for your help & patience.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us