Akai 42" plasma half black screen

Username: Ffviivince10

Post Number: 1
Recently my girlfriend was watching tv and she said she heard a loud pop and now when I turn the tv on, most of the screen is black and then when the akai blue screen kicks in the right half of the screen is quickly revealed. But the left half stays really dark. After a little while the left half will show the image but there is a really dark grainy shade on the left half. The whole picture is not that great either overall, it looks like the brightness is really high on it and the color isn't very vibrant. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've looked up what the problem could be and what i've learned so far it's probably the y sus board. My question is what should I do to try to fix this and if I decide to open the tv myself what are the safety precautions I should know about?

The model number of the tv is Akai PDP42Z5TA

Username: Av_forum

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Hi Eric,
it's really hard to guess as to what the problem is for sure from a description, but that is a pretty good description and does sound like it could be the Y Sus board. I really don't like to tell people to try to replace any boards themselves because it's so easy for an inexperienced person to do additional damage aside from the original problem. Also, replacing that particular board involves doing some very precise voltage adjustments afterwards to calibrate the board to the particular screen in that TV.
All that said, if you're going to do it, the first thing is to make sure the TV is unplugged from the AC outlet. The things that come to mind that you need to watch out for are the removal of the cables and harnesses from the connectors on the various boards that board connects to.... some of the connectors are VERY delicate, and should be removed carefully. Even some of the large, less delicate connectors can sometimes be stubborn and hard to get out, usually causing people to yank on them by their wires, causing damage. Never pull any cable out by its wires.... only remove it by firmly grasping the connector and pulling it out by that. Since you're not an experienced technician, I would also suggest marking all the connections before removing them. After removing all the board mounting screws, carefully lift the board straight out and be carefull handling it, as some of the large capacitors can still hold a charge and ruin your day if you accidentely short across them. When you have made the swap, and have checked all your connections to be sure they're all correct, you need to make the adjustments to the new board to calibrate it to your screen, or the new board or even the screen can be permanently damaged. You will need the service manual, not the owners manual, to find out the adjustment points and the adjustment values.

I hope some of this helps you, and I still suggest bringing it to a qualified shop for the replacement of that particular board.

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us