Mitsubishi WT-42313 won't power on

Username: Craig33761

Clearwater, FL United States

Post Number: 1
Hello, I've come across several helpful forum posts, but haven't yet found one with a solution to this exact problem.

I have a Mitsubishi WT-42313 rear projection HDTV. When I press the power button I hear a "click" and the green power light comes on, approximately two seconds later the light goes out and I hear the same "click". The screen never lights up, and the power light is not on long enough to do the "menu + input" error code trick.

I opened the TV up, looked around and noticed something labeled "IC9A51" (listed as: HIC - SE110N in the service manual) had grey "goo" that was pushed way up in the plastic tube, and the bottom of the tube seemed brown/burned (see picture 1). I also noticed what looks like burn marks around several components on the board (picture 2). I was hoping that by looking, someone could tell me if these are related to what's wrong with the TV.

I've just bought a digital multimeter, so if there's specific info that would help, I can try and get that, and I've replaced capacitors in a computer monitor successfully, so I feel pretty good handling a soldering gun.

Getting this working would be a huge coup, so if anyone has any advice or perhaps fixed a similar issue I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks -Craig

Upload
Upload

Post Number: 2
Update:

I installed a replacement for the "IC9A51" (listed as: HIC - SE110N in the service manual), unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. At this point replacing other parts would just be guess work, so unless someone can suggest another course of action, I'll hold on to it for a few more days then take it down to the recycling center. I was hoping to have a solution for anyone else having the same issue, but the good news is, it appears this problem is rare.

Username: Gremulla

Hi Craig,
Funny, but i have the same problem with my 7-yr old 65-inch Mitsubishi WS-65313 projection TV. Started few days ago when I turned it on, it will stay on for about 30 secs then it would turn off. So i turn it on and after 5 secs, it turns off.. Turn it on again then immediately turns off again. I hear the same click when I turn on and when it turns off. Never had any problem till now. i bought 4-yr extended warranty and of course, the damn thing waits for the warranty to expire and then starts giving problems.
I also removed the back cover but didn't find anything strange nor any burnt marks. But your issue and mine seems to point to a capacitor problem especially with mine where at first it waits 30 secs to turn on then the time to shut off successively reduces. I don't dare to take it apart so I called a service tech who will charge me $135 just to diagnose. If the problem is just couple of capacitor or similar components, perhaps it won't cost me more than $300 including labor. But when he starts replacing whole boards, I can be looking at $500 i think. Much worse if the lamps turn out bad which is causing the components to falter. THen when the tech starts replacing components, I'm not sure other components will go later down the road. I'm actually still deliberating whether I should just retire this TV and get a new projection TV which shd be in clearance or upgrade to plasma or LCD. If I'm going to shell out $400-$500 to repair, I might as well get a new one. I just don't know if maybe I'm way too over-estimating the repair cost for this kind of problem.
THis is my 2nd Mitsubishi projection TV. the 1st one i bought in 1992 and only lasted 8-9 yrs,,, this latest one only 7 yrs. i would have wanted to get 12-15 yrs but maybe I'm dreaming. My friend's 60-in Sony projection is still running since 1997 although the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired now that I'm used to HD.
what's your advise?

Post Number: 3
Your estimates of repair costs seem to be in keeping with what I've heard. I came to the conclusion that unless relatively certain of success, it wasn't worth the time or money for me to repair the unit myself, especially given it's age. Better to invest in a newer, and probably more reliable LCD TV. However, I should point out that I received the Mitsubishi second-hand, so this decision was far easier for me than I imagine it would be for someone who bought it new.

Incidentally, like your friend I'm currently using a Sony that I've had for years, and is still in excellent condition.

Username: Baanderson

I have the Mitsubushi WS-55809 and have the same problem Craig describes (just started yesterday) where the power clicks on, light goes green then after 2 seconds power goes off.

Curious what you ended up doing...getting new system or finding a fix for this problem. If you found a fix, would love to hear it!!!

Thanks.

Username: Gremulla

BA,
I went to a repair shop and they're not 100% sure but they believe one or both of the 2 boards are problematic. They ordered both boards then they will try one board first then if it won't work, install the 2nd. The 2 boards are the power board and the main board. The estimate I was given for both boards including labor and tax is $469 after they deducted the $135 diagnostics fee. Each board is $143 and labor is $290. If only one board needs to be replaced, the price will go down by $143 plus tax so i hope it's just one board so I only have to shell out $310 instead of $469. The boards are still on-order and shld take 5-7 biz days.
Actually, this is what happened. Shortly after I posted my 1st msg in May, I called and had the tech come in and diagnose the problem. He was the one who suspected the main and power boards as the possible culprit/s. When they received the 2 boards and came back to my home, the tech tried to turn on the TV and was expecting it to turn off after a few seconds. To our amazement, it remained on for an hour before he gave up and said he wasn't gonna do anything as the TV was already working.
We both don't understand how this happened. But I didn't mind saving few hundred $. So the TV continued for about a month until 2-3 wks ago, when the problem suddenly came back and the TV would turn off with that clicking sound just 1 sec after turning it on. So I ended up calling back the tech again and reported the problem. But by this time, they have returned the boards and so they have to be re-ordered.
Meanwhile, I tried to play around with the suspect boards. I noticed when I tried to push down the board at the center and then turn it on, the TV would remain on for like 1 minute but then turn off. If I don't push down, it would turn off after only 1 sec. Very strange but I concluded something is wrong with the board. I also did a close inspection and noticed the same burnt marks that Craig reported in his msg, around the same components (inductors) he pictured. These are the same components surrounding a transformer around the center of the board which is actually the transformer I was pushing down that somehow caused the TV to remain on for unusually longer time. I think there may a design problem that causes these inductors to burn out and fail faster than they should on certain Mitsubishi TV models like ours.
I don't intend to get anymore Mitsubishi's as this is the 2nd one that gave me problems earlier than I anticipated. But I decided to have it repaired hoping it will give several more years by which time the newer type of TVs like LCDs will be even cheaper.
Sorry for the long complicated story but I hope it helps.

Username: Baanderson

GR: Thanks for the update. All good information to know, I'll take a look at the boards on my set and see if I have the same burn marks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us