Philips vcr ejects when played!

Username: Dave

Post Number: 1
hi to all the experts, I have a philips vr806 vcr. Every time I insert a cassette, it loads ok, but once I press play it attempts to play and then halts suddenly, then it rewinds or forwards for a few seconds (i now that a vcr rewinds the tape a bit before it ejects it but it takes longer than it should or use to) and then by taking more time that it use to too it ejects the tape.

it will not also record. I'm not technically minded but I've checked the heads and all sensors and cleaned them and everywhere where you can (information from net).

Theres no debris or anything tangled and it all moves smoothly except it not play/record.

any ideas please

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 41
Hard to say without seeing it but it may be the LED under the prism in the middle of the circuit board, it is a common problem on philips VCRs. After it ejects the tape does it try to pull the carriage back down?

Will Marshall
Unregistered guest
Hi I hope its o'k to post unregistered but I have a similar problem with a Philps VR 900
VCR.
Everything was working fine until out of the blue
it would not fully load any cassette.
The cassette goes in and down and then when it should lock in place and spool the tape around the heads it ejects instead.
The physical mechanism is o'k because I coaxed it into spooling the tape once after this by power on and off, then it ejected again.

I've tried a reset from power off by holding down the standby button with no luck.

I'm not sure what to try next any foibles in the past have rectified themselves with a reset

regards will

Post Number: 2
Hi Dave. What do you mean by pulling the carriage back down with or without tape. After the tape has been ejected. its in normal operation mode, I can take the take out tape from the slot. it does not unexpectadly try to insert the cassette backin.

btw what would this LED look like. is it an infra red sensing type, can it be checked/replaced easily. what determines a faulty/working led.

I had given the VCR in for a repair quote, they came back with £80!, about $150!. pure extorsion. I can get a new vcr for that. The only thing is that it matches the TV because its a hint of metalic green.
The engineer says that a motor is gone, but I don't know whether to be believe him.
Are there any motors that could be the cause, any checks I can do?

Its seems someone else alos has the same problem (Will).

Thanks so far.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Usually when the LED goes bad it will try to pull the carriage back down since blocking the light from the LED is what makes the carriage load. How old is it, I don't know that model number offhand. There is only 2 motors in one of those, one is the loading motor which pulls the tape in and depending on how old it is also loads the tape around the drum. The other is the capstan motor which is what pulls the tape through the machine, it also loads the tape around the drum in a newer machine. Since it takes the tape in and out it is obviously not the loading motor. Capstan motors are direct drive and are very reliable, they don't fail very often. When you look inside the unit there is a small motor and belt, is it on the right side or in the back?

Post Number: 3
Hi David, thank for the information thus far.

Presently I have to pick up the VCR from the repair shop (unrepaired) after that overated quote, so I can't tell you where certain parts are located until then.

What I can tell you is that I had purchased in 3 years ago and was about 6months to a year from then in terms of production, in total about 4 years old.

btw I was reading on the net about other vcr problems, could the mode switch be a possibility.
Anyway of checking

will let you know about the other information as soon I get the vcr back

cheers for the help so far.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
The mode switch is one of the biggest problems in VCRs and a definite possibility. They don't usually go bad on a Funai (the maker of Philips) that soon unless heavily used. The mode switch controls every function that the VCR does, it is what tells the unit when it is in the right place for each function, play, rewind etc. The more you use functions like reverse search, fast forward etc. the faster they tend to wear out. If you just put tapes in and watch them then rewind they tend to last longer since it is not moving back and forth so much. I almost mentioned that switch last time but usually when they go bad, especially on something that new, functions will be erratic so sometimes they will work and other times they won't, so if you have tried putting the tape in a bunch of times chances are it would have worked a couple of times at least.

Post Number: 4
Hi David, I got the vcr back and that small motor you was on about is on the rightside.
What does that mean, any clues.

The guy at the workshop said that the capston motor needs replacing? Can I check if he is right, where is it and could I get&replace if its the fault in question.

cheers

Post Number: 5
Hi David, I thought I just check how the vcr responds when looking at it with the cover off.

The cassette loads OK, with the tape been put into ready to play position. The tape is spooled around all the parts.
Soon I press play, if plays for about 1 second and then stops to goes to eject mode.

If I immediately press rew/fwd it will also eject, but then sometimes it will rew/fwd many times and then suddenly eject. it all works randomly.

What I did notice during play was that when I pressed play was the left side on the tape spool would turn in a clockwise direction, but the right hand spool would not turn at all and thats the point when the tape ejects, in which case the tape starts to slack and sometimes get caught in the vcr a bit.
Recording has the same problem as playing, only left spool turns not right.

Is their something thats stopping or damaged that not turning the right spool.
Since it forwards sometimes, wouldn't this be the same driving mechanism for playing or not?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
The right side means that it is the newer one where the capstan motor is what loads the tape around the drum so if it does load the tape and the left reel turns it is definitely not the capstan motor, like I said before it is very rare for that motor to fail. The reason it is ejecting is because the right reel is not turning, there is a sensor on that reel, if the reel doesn't turn it stops the VCR from playing, otherwise it would keep going till the VCR was full of tape. Is the cassette dropping all the way down? After it loads the cassette gently push down on it to see if it is down all the way. Also look on the right side of the carriage and see if it looks like the arm that loads the cassette is broken, a common Funai problem (the actual manufacturer of Philips)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
A little footnote here, if you have AIM we could talk about this in real time, it would probably easier than this. If not you can get it here if interested. http://www.aim.com/

Post Number: 6
whats your username on AIM, is it the one listed here Samijubal.
how dod i find you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Yes that is what it is, I just barely downloaded it myself because someone else wanted to talk to me and haven't used it yet but we should be able to figure it out. If you can't get it to work on your end give me your username and I will try to get ahold of you. I can leave my computer on for awhile if you want to try.

DavidMW
Unregistered guest
This is a common problem with these VCR's, I did compuer and vcr repair for 5 1/2 years. Saw these vcr's all the time. Sometimes its the tape sensor that has been mentioned already. Other times if you clean out the vcr and regrese the gears that will correct the problem. No matter what you do most likely you will continue to have the problem. I would buy a new vcr if I were you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
His isn't a Funai like most it's an older Toshiba, I've seen pictures, and as such is worth repairing if it's not anything major, older VCRs are better quality than newer ones are in most cases. I agree most Philips VCRs are Funai and are disposable junk basically.

Unregistered guest
I have a Philips VR540 which accepts a cassett and then "powers off". I have to reset the processor by pulling out the plug and replacing it.It momentarily powers up, then off again; the cassett remains stuck in the machine.I have to pull off the cover and tease it out; the same thing happens time after time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 747
Most Philips VCRs are Funai, the cheapest junk made, it isn't worth trying to fix it.

john mathias
Unregistered guest
hi Dave,
I appreciate your view; my view however is that the machine is just outside its warranty period , hasn't been used a great deal and still looks good.The problem to a novice seems it might be the subject of a "quick-fix" by obtaining information from an expert like yourself; in short i need encouragement from a forum! Really do you think this machine is not worth opening up again?

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
Without being able to see what it's doing, there is no way to say what's wrong. Unless you have worked on VCRs before, there probably isn't much you can do. Those $40 VCRs are cheap junk, you get what you pay for.

Unregistered guest
when i push the power off on vcr,then try to rewind the tape, the red power button comes on again. i have to push power off again the the tape is ejected. then i have to push tape back in only then will it rewind

joe grish
Unregistered guest
toshoba w-603 vhs tape keeps ejecting new, used or recorded on right from the get go

Unregistered guest
Could someone tell me the approximate time that Funai began making Philips?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us