BlueRay connection to Yamaha HTR-6230

Username: Msubob

Post Number: 1
I just bought the Yamaha receiver and connected it to my Blue Ray. From the Yamaha manual it says the ideal connection for audio is optical out of the Blue Ray and coaxial(DVD) into the Yamaha.

I bought an optical cable but do I need a optical to coax converter to connect to the Yamaha? Clearly, the optical cable will not connect to a coaxial slot .

If so, any recommendations for type of converter and where to get one?
thanks much

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4210
Connect the optical cable to the receiver. I use both optical and coax and have never been able to tell any difference. It's just 0s and 1s either way.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Dave. Yes I did connect the optical. The question was to what slot on the receiver since the choicesfor optical were only CD and one other I dont recall.

Anyway , connecting to the CD slot worked. As long as you dont have the CD component and Blue Ray active concurrently, it is fine.

BTW I also have the HDMI cable connected between the reciever and Blue Ray.

I was hoping for HD sound + sound thru speakers. I know I got the latter ..not sure what HD sound , soujnds like.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4211
The only way to get HD lossless audio is HDMI, optical isn't capable of it. If the HDMI is connected to a receiver capable of HD audio then you can get it. Just because a receiver has HDMI doesn't mean it's capable of HD lossless audio.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2649
­
Bob, your Yamaha receiver does not support HD audio. Its HDMI inputs are pass through for video and audio. This means the only reason you would want to run HDMI into the receiver is for switching convenience, thus eliminating two HDMI cables going into the TV..

Post Number: 4
John-
Thanks. IS there a receiver that does support HD audio?

BTW the outer reason for running cables thru the receiver is to output audio thru the speakers of the Yamaha.
Agreed?..which is what I am doing now

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2650
­
To clarify my earlier statement:
thus eliminating two HDMI cables going into the TV.......
so instead of two HDMIs to the TV, you could have only one. Obviously since your receiver has only two HDMI inputs, you'll have to run HDMI directly to the TV from a third or fourth HDMI source if you have any.

IS there a receiver that does support HD audio?

There are many; most are more expensive than your Yamaha. One of the lowest I know of is the Pioneer VSX-819H-K. However, last time I checked they are in short supply.

BTW the outer reason for running cables thru the receiver is to output audio thru the speakers of the Yamaha.
Agreed?..which is what I am doing now

Yes. It doesn't matter what those coax/optical inputs on the receiver are labeled, any device with a coax or optical will work -- as you've already found out. If you want HD audio and stick with Yamaha, you'll have to move up to the HTR-6240.

­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us