Tough DLP questions

Anonymous

I'm looking to buy a DLP rear projection television. I've been holding out for some time now for this new SXGA+ chip from TI, and hear that maybe by the end of the year some televisions will come equipped. Question #1 is: Will 1080p be any good (i.e. is there any point), when most broadcasts are either 1080i of 720p and HD DVD's won't take mainstream market for a while now. Question #2: Why does the Samsung 63" TV with the HD3 chip only have a contrast ration of 1500:1, when the 56" with HD2+ chip has 3000:1. I hope someone can help me with these!

Billie
Unregistered guest
On question #2 the hd3 chip is made for high volume and lower cost resulting in contrast ratio of 1500:1. The hd2+ is a higher end chip costing more but contrast improves to 2500:1. Both chips have resolution of 1280x720. The sgxa chip has a resolution of 1400x1050. I'm not aware of a dlp chip with 1080p. A lcos chip can support 1080p but many manufactures are dropping lcos for dlp.

Kulaboy
Unregistered guest
Why is the analog reception on dlp tv's so BAD?

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 26
"Why is the analog reception on dlp tv's so BAD?"

I can't speak directly to the question, since I own a LCD TV, but generally speaking, the problem comes down to resolution.

The resolution of a TV controls the crispness and detail in the picture you see, and the resolution is determined by the number of pixels on the screen. An analog TV only displays 525 horizontal lines of resolution every thirtieth of a second. In fact, analog TV displays half of those lines in a sixtieth of a second, and then displays the other half in the next sixtieth, so the whole screen is updated every thirtieth of a second. This what they call interlacing. Because of the interlacing, the effective resolution of a TV screen is roughly 512x384 pixels, or 525i if you will. Add to this the fact that you're zooming the picture to 40, 50, 60 inches, or whatever, and analog TV doesn't have a chance, on any big screen TV.

Personally, when I watch analog TV on my Sony LCD, I 'split' my 42" screen in half, basically giving me 2 - 19" TV's (with borders). If you'll pardon the pun, when I split the screen this way, analog TV doesn't look half bad... :-)

Anonymous

it looks bad because your sending a analog signal to a digital tv. dlp's are digital in the sense that each pixel is its own element, this conversion of analog to digital leaves very big pixels on the screen, a conventional RPTV will look better with analog signal.... dlp's don't even look that hot with regular digital signals like satillite for the same reason, each pixel is its own element, and those pixels are so big you get a blocky picture. make those pixels smaller (720p/1080i/eventually 1080p) and you have a amazing picture, but until then, they wont look as good as a crt rptv, dont worry, that time is comming. but by the time it does come dlp's will be much cheaper, and better, thats when im getting one...muahahhaahahah lol, j/k thats why i went crt rptv for now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us