Recording from VHS to DVD using DMR-EZ485V

Username: Lousturn

Conyers, Ga United States

Post Number: 1
We just purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder to transfer all of our VHS movies to DVD and I can't figure out how to record. The first time I tried it said that the VHS is write protected...Isn't that telling me I can't record anything new onto the VHS? I am SO confused. LOL, please help.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 251
Some VHS movies have a copy protection scheme called Macrovision. If this is the type of movie you are trying to copy to DVD, you are out of luck.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4196
If they are retail CP tapes you need a stabilizer.

Post Number: 3
How can I tell that it is the "Macrovision" and what is "CP" tapes. LOL, I have no idea...this is a first for me. Sorry ya'll, I SOOO don't mean to sound so stupid.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 254
CP = copy protection

I would suggest that you take a VHS tape of a program that you recorded yourself on a VCR and try to transfer to DVD. This way you don't have to worry about the copy protection and just worry about understanding how to do it correctly.

Once you can do this.

Then try one of the tapes you want to copy.

If the DVD recorder is barking at you, it is most likely some sort of copy protection that it doesn't like.

Post Number: 4
Thank you both very much. I will give this a shot and will also go ahead and purchase a stabilizer as well. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us