DN subscribers watch out

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 513
Dish Network collects an extra $2,000 by double-billing for 27 months
Tuesday, 19 January 2010 10:27 | Author: News Admin |
By the time Heather Hampton and her husband realized what was going on, Dish Network had double-charged them for 27 months of service, or roughly $2,000 in extra payments.

At first, the Aurora couple were angry they had not noticed the error sooner.

Then they began the long process of trying to get a refund.

After weeks, the Hamptons filed a dispute with their bank, calling the second set of... charges fraudulent. The bank ruled in the Hamptons' favor and reversed 10 months' worth of charges. The bank told the couple it could not go back any further because older charges were beyond the statute of limitations.

"They said we were lucky we got the 10 months," Hampton said.

That still left the couple on the hook for the other 17 months -- a whopping $1,257.46 in extra payments.

Hampton said she and her husband, Justen, had been trying since late August to get the money back. At first, Dish Network representatives promised a refund within a week or two. But after hearing the same promise for months and not seeing a penny, the couple grew angrier.

In late December, Heather Hampton called Dish Network again and was told by a customer service agent she probably was out of luck.

"He said he'd seen this before," Hampton said. "He said 'it's been too long, I can't by law refund your money.' "

Having reached her boiling point, Hampton e-mailed What's Your Problem?

"We're out $1,200," she said. "It's not like a couple dollars."

Hampton said her husband discovered the error in August when he considered switching from regular programming to a high-definition package.

When he looked at his bank statements to see how much the couple had been paying, he noticed that Dish Network had been charging his account twice -- at the beginning of each month and again at the end.

He did some digging and found the double-billing had started when they signed up for service in May 2007. Heather Hampton said the couple hadn't noticed the problem because one monthly payment was taken from the couple's checking account, the other from a debit card.

"We never made the connection," Hampton said. "It was our stupidity."

Still, Hampton said she deserved a refund.

The Problem Solver agreed, and called Allyson Mylrea, a spokeswoman for Dish.

Mylrea said she couldn't comment on the Hamptons' case, citing privacy concerns.

But days later, a Dish representative called Hampton and said the company would refund the full $1,257.46.

When the check will arrive is unclear.

"He said, 'You're going to get it,' " Hampton said. "I said, 'Can you tell me when I'm going to get it?' He said, 'No.' "

Hampton said Dish Network never told her why she had been double-billed.

Meanwhile, the Hamptons have switched to Comcast.

Silver Member
Username: Picanha

East LA

Post Number: 997
They should have been watching their banking statements closer

Silver Member
Username: Boss_hog

Post Number: 259
Dish Network has the balls to call us crooks.

Silver Member
Username: Jaye50

Post Number: 165
i've had the same problem with dish.... on two separate accounts..... their billing system is purposely confusing.....and they will definitely try to slip extra payments on you.... i was told by them that they bill two months in advance....i told them that i would pay them one month in advance and would not pay any late charges on the additional month....and to come and take the sh*t if they wanted cause my credit sucked already.....

Bronze Member
Username: Dr_ruthless

Bancock, Taiwai Korea

Post Number: 38
Sounds like our highway 407 the government wanted to take back only after the Spanish company they sold it to found it profitable, they always double billed.

Bell Canada also added charges to everyone without authorization.

It's a hoot what these thieves can get away with having big business and government contacts that scratch each others backs. Steal and if caught, call it a typo.

Big business is funny, in Canada they would have triple billed them just for inquiring and taken their equipment away. Then if they protested they would get tasered and beaten to a pulp.

DN is no different, big business with big business contacts protecting their treasure chest while milking the little guy in droves , they bombard and trespass in backyards with frequencies they claim are theirs then will sue if they are decrypted.

Silver Member
Username: Fakeman1

Germantown, Maryland USA

Post Number: 223
Old News
C/P

In August 2008, the Boston Globe reported that DirectTV received 20,000 complaints in less than three years to the Better Business Bureau on DirectTV slipping in cancellation fees.[21]

As of December 2009[update], the Better Business Bureau gives DirecTV an F rating.[22]

As of December 2009[update], the 36-month running count of complaints about DirecTV logged with the Better Business Bureau is 36,076, including 6,382 with a response of "Full refund" or "Partial refund", 14,961 with a response of "Agreeing to perform according to their contract", 13,629 with a response of "Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement", and 1,059 with a response of "Refusing to make an adjustment".[

It sure would be sweet if the Coders crack their azz

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 17673
Another big problem with big business is lack of integration of vatious communications style.
If you lodge a written complaint by email, and follow it up by phone, they are able to find the emailed complaint, but when action is not forthcoming they say on the phone they have not received any communication! I have had this type on jumping around far too often with big companies. That includes utilities like water, hydro, gas, and telephone/internet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us