What's the best display solution for me?

Bronze Member
Username: Chevive

Post Number: 28
Hi All,

I want to get a large monitor for my computer so that I can sit on my sofa with a wireless keyboard and write papers, take notes, do excel work, and surf the web. I'd like something 46" or bigger.

My laptop is a Lenovo X61 I bought 1.5 yrs ago with only a VGA output. I might be upgrading it, but whatever I get will probably not have a super fast graphics card designed for gaming, etc.

I don't have cable/satellite/etc and don't watch much TV except for Hulu occasionally. I currently only have a DVD player, but will upgrade to a bluray player sometime soon. I don't care about sound quality as I have a good 5.1 system of my own, but want something that is a large display, can work with 1080p bluray signals, and can work well as a computer monitor, which is what I will primarily be using it as.

Am I correct in thinking that most of today's 1080p plasma/LCD tvs will fit the bill for what I want? I was thinking of projectors, but they seem pricey compared to TVs, and I get a fair bit of sunlight in my living room.

Is LCD still better than the latest plasmas, or are they roughly equal now from the standpoint of using it as a computer monitor?

Any input/advice appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4166
LCD has never been better than plasma. That said, plasmas can burn-in static images if left there long enough. For a monitor, LCD is better. For a TV, plasma is better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks. To confirm, is my general idea of using a big screen flat panel TV as a computer monitor OK? That is, will it be possible to use MS word sitting from my couch a few feet from the TV without too much strain?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4167
Yes, you can use a flat panel as a monitor. I don't know about eye strain. I think my LCD monitor is harder on the eyes than the old CRTs were but it's not unbearable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Thanks for all the responses. Given that I'm going to be using the new TV principally as a computer monitor, does it make sense to just go for a 720p model instead of a 1080p model? The price difference seems to be massive..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4173
From what I've read 1080p is supposed to be better for a monitor. Wheather it's worth the price difference I don't know. If you have a laptop, take it to the store and hook it up to a 720p and a 1080p TV. I've never had any problems doing stuff like that, they want to sell the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us