Vizio VW42LF no picture

Username: Figs824

Post Number: 1
I turned my vizio on today and about 3 minutes after, the screen just flickered once and turned off. No backlight or anything. I do have audio and the results are the same through all the input options. I didnt hear any "pop" when it happened as some other posters have. I've also tried waiting for a couple hours like someone had suggested but i still only get audio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Post Number: 2
Also, i dont know if it makes a difference but TV is about 1 year old

I can change channels and adjust volume but with no picture

thanks

Post Number: 3
havent been on here in a while.... still now help??

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 944
Greetings Peter,

The only possible good news would be that the video input cables are not properly fastened or not working. Check both ends and if necessary check on a different TV.
Other than that there is nothing but bad news. The screen could be cracked (plasma) or a circuit board bit the dust.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Greg,

I dont think its the video inut cables as ive already made sure they were secure. Its an lcd so i dont think its a cracked screen. Ive read elswhere that it could be one of the inverters? How likely do you think this is?

Silver Member

Post Number: 945
Anything is possible!

Have you tried using different video inputs?

You could also try different input method (say from HDMI to component or composite) to narrow down the possible problems.

Post Number: 5
yeah ive tried different component inputs but havent had a hdmi cable yet to try. thanks for the tip, ill give that a shot to narrow down the possiblities.

thanks

peter

Silver Member

Post Number: 946
You could try the composite (yellow) video with a single componet wire.

Username: Dadempsey

Gresham, OR United States

Same story, VW42LHDTV10A here, was watching it, then a high pitched noise, then blackscreen. Was able to hit mute on tv remote but after that, no response from the input on side or the remote. I called Vizio techs and they walked me through power cycle crap and then once they knew it was outta warranty, it was 'your on your own'. I mentioned this site and how many other people are going through this, they said, 'oh, theres millions of people out there, 60 or 70 people going through that doesnt mean theres something wrong with the tv." i said, if this is a known issue, why not fix it or help us that are out of warranty.... flatline.. no response. Nice huh?

Anyways. Tv repair guy said $150-$250 to fix but not sure what causes it until they look at it.

Username: Mgrim

I have a VW42LFHDTV also, but I also have a 3 year old son, and you may be able to guess that I now have a cracked screen. There is still a picture and everything works, but the cracked plastic screen ruins the picture. Did you guys ever figure out what was wrong with your TVs? If you had to replace the TVs, let me know and I may purchase your old ones from you (assuming the screen is OK).
Thanks
My phone is 360-671-1646

Post Number: 7
I know it's been a while but I recently dug out my vizio from the closet and found out what was wrong. I brought it to a repair shop where i could get a free consultation and they said if was the inverters and wanted to charge $350. I told them thanks but no thanks and ordered them online for $60 a piece and put them in in minutes. Problem solved, my tv is now working again.

Peter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us