Samsung dlp 56" problems

Username: Cmays03

Post Number: 3
Ok I have problems with my tv it started a yr ago I have just replaced the color wheel a month ago and its still doing the same thing. I had a tech out here and he told me it was the color wheel but it still does it. It seems to do it more often when its hot in the house. I turn a fan on to push more air around the tv and it doesnt do it as often. so what it is doing is the screen will freeze up or flicker and/or most of the time it will start to get a blue pixel to the video then go nuts and you can hear a humming noise have to shut the tv of and wait for a few mins then it will work again for awhile. it has just shut off a few times too. I have a video of it but dont know if i can get it loaded up for you all to see. I will try

[URL=http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/cmays03/?action=view&current=MVI_0207.flv][IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/cmays03/th_MVI_0207.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 14
Hi Cory,

Try this, pull up the menu screen and if it shows ok, then the problem might be the Digital board, problems such as a freezing picture, picture with green dots, picture with green bars or a flickering picture are symptoms of a malfunctioning Digital board so this might be the problem in your TV.

But if your menu screen also comes up blue with pixelation, then it might be the DMD board, this board has almost the same symptoms as the digital board but we can determine which one has the problem by pulling up the menu screen or the PIP feature.

Check this link to learn more about the DMD and the Digital board: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/555766.html

Note: Usually if the color wheel goes bad you get a:
>Poor color, under saturated or over saturated
>Black & white picture
>The picture is intermittently in color and black & white
>The picture is showing the wrong color
>You hear a loud screeching, whining, or winding sounds
>The TV starts to vibrate

The humming noise that you hear when the TV goes nuts could be the color wheel, maybe it wasn't installed correctly or there might be an issue with your cooling system if one of the fans isn't working properly. The last alternative would be to consult with an authorized repair center (check nesda.com, you can track a certified tech by entering your zip code) but before that try getting as much information as possible before you spend any money (if the repair is too expensive I would consider buying a new TV).

I hope this helps you out, good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Another thing,

If it turns out you need the DMD, a fan or a digital board, then you'll need to get a hold of the part number to track it down. Another alternative is to enter your model number in samsungparts.com, then you'll see all the parts numbers that your TV carries.

This will also help because you'll get an idea of what it could cost you to repair the TV.

I hope this helps out, take care.

Post Number: 4
i pull the menu screen up and it looks fine. is that what you meant?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hey Cory,

Yes, I meant that. Now that we know the menu screen is ok then it's most likely for the Digital board to be malfunctioning, so you'll need to replace it.

You'll need to get the part number of the board, try this link, just enter your TV model:
http://www.samsungparts.com/Default.asp?cookie_test=1

Remember: look for a second opinion to confirm the diagnosis, good luck.

Post Number: 5
ok thanks its not been acting up for a week or so. since its not as hot outside. but why would it act up when its hot but if i turn a fan on and face it to blow air around the back of the tv it wont do it anymore.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hey Corey,

Then this may be a simple temperature issue, you might need to check your cooling fans and temperature sensors or just keep the TV with good ventilation and it should be ok, also clean out the ventilation filters to prevent the TV from overheating again.

Post Number: 6
well the way i had the fan set up stopped working. now i have a small fan right behind the tv blowing straight in the back of the tv and that seems to work for the past week or so. So do you think its the fans or something else. I thought there was a sensor for the fan so if they go bad it will let you know?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us