Samsung HLR6156W shuts off by itself!!

Username: Lori_s

Post Number: 1
The TV will power up with beautiful picture quality & sound. It makes no "noises". It stays on for up to about a minute, the screen goes black and the three lights begin flashing. It does not turn back on by itself. It can be turned on again after a short time, but will not stay on. I did remove the back and clean out the dust - didn't help. The cooling fan is working. The door latch is pressed down. The TV is about 3 years old, it seems awfully soon to be having problems with such a costly item. Can someone please help?

Username: Craigdlp50

California

Post Number: 4
Lori,

Similar problem with my HLT5075S after 14 months.
I've replaced the lamp and ballast with no results.
Tech told me he replaced a digital control board in the same model
as mine with no results.
I'm wondering if it is a sensor malfunctioning that is tripping the
TV off. I've read that the color wheel has a sensor on it that might
cause this problem, but been unable to confirm that.
The other thing to check is the power to the ballast. If it isn't getting the
right voltage, it will not power the light.
My problem is so intermittent it drives me nuts. It never does the same
thing at the same time intervals. Frustrating, and two techs I have talked
to have not offered a solution.
Maybe the thing to do is go collectively to Samsung and put some pressure
on them to find a solution. I have read several forum comments with the same
or similar problem.
Anybody out there want to join forces? The more people we can get the better.

Post Number: 2
Craig,

I really wouldn't know how to go about doing that. I do agree that Samsung should certainly be taking care of this problem.

Meanwhile, I cannot watch my lovely 61" TV. I've read so many posts already, but none seem to apply to my particular model number. Can't anyone give me some ideas on this?? PLEASE??

Username: Craigdlp50

California

Post Number: 7
Lori,

The three lights flashing is a sign that the lamp is bad.

Since the TV is 3 years old, do you know how many hours are on your lamp?
You can try checking it with the TV off press Mute-1-8-2-Power in quick succession.
This should show you a menu list with "Options" hi-lited.
If you hit Enter it should show the list with the lamp hours on it.
Lamps last ~8k to 10k hours.
However, because the set won't turn on, you will likely not get it to show the service menu.

Replace only with a genuine Philips lamp, the other cheaper ones you can find
are not worth the savings and from several forum posts I've read are highly discouraged.

Replacing the lamp is easy. One screw releases the plastic vented door on the left side of my set. There should be a two-part silver retainer clip. The upper bar needs to be pushed down and the vertical bar pulls toward you. The light casing has a handle on it that you can grab and pull straight out. The new one plugs back in the same way and you reset the retainer clips, then put the vent door back in place. DO NOT touch the lens of the new lamp with bare fingers. The oil on your hands will harm it. Replace when the old lamp is cool (which shouldn't be a problem since it won't light) and for safety, unplug the set first and let it sit a few minutes.

Since your set is older than mine, the chassis may have a different configuration and the access location may differ. Also, the set should have a sticker on it that indicates the exact lamp code number you will need to order the correct replacement lamp.

Once the lamp is replaced, go into the service menu and use Lamp Clear to reset the hours to zero for the new one.

Also, you can try looking on www.fixyourdlp.com for a step-by-step lamp replacement guide with photos.

Hope that helps resolve your problem.

Post Number: 3
Craig,

Thank you for your help. I don't know how many hours are on it, but I think the lamp is still good. The picture on my TV is wonderful, if only the darn thing would stay on. Can it have a great picture if the lamp is bad?

I've been reading here and on fixyourdlp.com, every chance I get, for about 2 months. From what I've read, I'm thinking that it has something to do with temperature. However, I haven't found anything on the location of the temp sensor, or anything else for that matter, for my model # TV. Yes, I've tried searches. The only thing I find is the model number among a host of other model numbers, and nothing specific to it.

Right now, it looks like a shiny chalk board in the corner of my living room. Somehow, I don't think that was Samsung's intended use.

Still not giving up...

Lori

Can someone please help me? I really miss my TV. The economy has taken away the income that allowed us to buy such a TV in the first place so I really cannot afford to just "try" replacing different parts. Is there a way to test this thing to be sure of what is wrong?

Username: Alex_moon

It sound to me that you might have a ballast issue on your television. normally when you get a picture and audio and it just goes off , it could be a ballast issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us