Is a seperate HDTV Tuner needed with digital cable for HD?

Username: Hdtviewer1

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Sony plasma HDTV. However, it does not have a built in ATSC (HDTV) tuner.
It has not arrived yet so I am not sure about this. Will I need to buy a seperate tuner for the HD programs such as the HBO high definition broadcasts in order to view them in high definition? If so, does it make a big difference?

Also...will I need a set-top box to maximize the picture quality of DVDs on a progressive scan DVD player?

Thanks for any help:-)

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 141
If your cable company offers HiDef programming through a digital HD cable box, then you're in good shape--unless you want to pick up local over the air broadcasts in HD. In that case, you'll need an HDTV receiver and an adequate antenna.

HBO in HD is a huge difference in picture quality from the standard definition 4:3 picture to the 16:9 HD HBO feed.

A progressive scan DVD player should be fed through another input on the Sony TV's service box, and that has nothing to do with the cable hookup you may be using through the same box.

Anonymous

If your plan is to subscribe to HD cable or HD sat, then you might not need a separate HD tuner. But if you have only SD signal and want to watch free local network HD programs through an antenna, then you would need one. A lot of people don't like a separate HD tuner box because 1) it is another set-top box, 2) it is only good for unscrambled signal and 3) depends on where you live, you may have to use a big out-door antenna.

Martin L.
Unregistered guest
I work in a condo complex and many of the people bought plasma w/o built in atsc tuner. Comcast does the cable for the whole property. Those who have digital cable already simply pay 5 bucks more to have their set top box replaced with a hdtv box. This includes network hdtv. HBO, etc. in hdtv can be added for an extra fee. Like John S. said, HBO in HD is awesome. Hope this helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us