Buying a new TV. down to two and need some thoughts.

Username: Zoli10

Post Number: 1
I am going to buy a new flat screen for my main TV room. I have narrowed it down to two choices.

In the plasma arena I like the Samsung PN50A650. In the LCD world I like the Samsung LN52A650.

I realize there are inherent differences between plasma and LCD and I'm looking for some thoughts.

Just some basics to consider.....the TV faces a huge window that gets a large amount of afternoon sun causing a big glare. I play video games on the TV often and watch a lot of HD sports. I have a blue ray player and do watch HD movies, although not a whole lot.

Thanks for the input.

Bronze Member
Username: Zork_99

GTA

Post Number: 92
I have a Plasma and also a LCD. The plasma has better picture quality than the LCD. The LCD suffers from poor viewing angle, motion lag on sports and grainy picture quality on standard definition. The only advantage the LCD has over the Plasma is that it can be set to be brighter. BTW I do the opposite of what some say..I have the Plasma upstairs where there is bright glare in the afternoon, but the anti-glare screen works really well. If you are really picky about picture quality you must go with Plasma, especially for sports...you may not be happy with LCD. If you are a casual viewer who is not that discriminating then you may be happy with a an LCD.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10421
if you are going to be using it in a bright room with glare, then you should try to lean towards LCD. can you not put shades on the window? i understand a bright room, but glare from the light coming through the window can be avoided.

a smart idea would be to have the windows tinted. i have a friend that had his house's windows professionaly tinted with the UV reflective tint. it reduced his A/C bill considereably. anyways, just a thought.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 629
Plasma will give you a better picture. But your description of the room calls for an LCD. Depending on how much light is coming through that window and how much daytime programing you watch may decide your TV. If your window is facing south you could wind up with all day sun in the winter

Username: Arol11

London, Uk Uk

Post Number: 1
I usually recommend going for LCD TVs rather than Plasmas as they last a lot longer. Panasonic/Pioneer are generally the best plasma manufacturers. Sony is definitely the way to go for LCD's. Plasmas do indeed use more electric and they tend to give off more heat as well. But that is becoming less of an issue. If you intend to use it a lot for gaming go for an LCD. For more reviews take a look at this http://www.checkcost.co.uk/lcd-tvs/c/4329 Hope it helps u ..

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 36
i will go for Panasonic Plasma..because no side angle viewing problem...
further more Panasonic is the biggest plasma manufacture, Pioneer is out of plasma bizz, too bad for Pioneer....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us