Problem with old VCR to HDTV

Username: Corplhicks

Post Number: 1
We just purchased an ancient (25 years old!) VCR with a mere RF out for outputs, no RCA. I've hooked it into my Philips 52" HDTV, set the channels on analog, and set everything on channel 3. There is no signal whatsoever except for when I use the "autotune" feature on my tv to find active channels. Even then, however, I get a quick flash of picture and sound, followed by that much hated "no input found" blue screen. Is the signal from my VCR too weak? I've been through three coaxial cables with the same results, and I am not concerned with recording at all. Just playback. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4097
What VCR is this that has no RCA outs? I've never seen one. You need to be on the NTSC (analog) not the ATSC (digital) tuner on the TV.

Post Number: 2
This VCR is from c. 1981, before video equipment was equipped with RCA video out. To my knowledge, I've switched the TV to NTSC channels, but the menu options are more obscure than that; it allows me to switch between cable and antenna, and when I autoprogram available channels, it says it's looking for analog inputs. The only channel it finds is the one the VCR is set on, but, like I said, the picture just blinks on then off.

Post Number: 3
p.s. the VCR plays fine on our old 27" TV.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4098
Like I said, I've never seen a VCR without line outputs and I worked on them for 2 decades. The old '70s top loaders with manual dial tuners instead of electronic tuners had line outputs.

You need to manually set the channel 3 in NTSC mode, then you need to go to the NTSC tuner and select channel 3.

I still highly question this no RCA outs. What brand of VCR is it?

Post Number: 4
It's a Panasonic GT3s AG-1150. I'll try to get a picture up soon. In regard to the manual setting on the TV, that may be the problem. I have limited options on the menu. The only setting I could find was a selection between antenna and cable. Other than that, my manual says nothing.

However, I think we have made a decision. The quick flash that we did get from the video image was absolutely intelligible. I think we're going to stick with our 27" in the bedroom. Still, though; I'm curious. Thank you for your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us